What's new

USHE Press Release: JAWS (Blu-ray) (Plus restoration details) (1 Viewer)

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Steigman said:
Im anxiously awaiting the Birds BluRay. I might get the Frankenstein films depending on the supplements. As for Jaws, this is a MUST. Pre-ordered already. I wonder if they are cramming it all on one disc or 2...I didnt see anything written anywhere
First saw The Birds on TV and have never seen it in a theatre, but it was shown with Ms. Tippi in attendance at a huge underground theme bar in LA. Has anyone seen comedian Mario Cantone's hilarious take on The Birds? For those who don't know, Cantone is like a gay Gilbert Gottfried. He went off on that annoyingly repetitive song the schoolkids sing in The Birds. Of course the lyrics he used were much funnier, but the gist of it was after a couple of verses of that song you were rooting for the birds. Watching it with other people (especially in a bar) pretty much confirms this.

MrsMac

Agent
Real Name
Kim Andrew
Sweet! Placed our preorder. Hubby can give it to me as a birthday gift. I still remember the date with hubby when we saw this — packed theater, everyone totally into the movie, cheers and applause at "the" moment and applause at the end. To this day I will not go wading in the ocean here. :D

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I was just saying it's not hard to pass this one up. I've never even seen Jaws.

But I hope they do a fantastic job on these releases because there are other things on that list of 13 I may be interested in.

Originally Posted by TonyD /t/319941/ushe-press-release-jaws-blu-ray-plus-restoration-details/30#post_3915284
I don't understand.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
NY2LA said:
Back to topic, Notice that Uni has NOT strayed very far from the original Key Art for Jaws, in pretty much every release. That artwork was on the paperback almost a year before the movie came out (but I bet after the movie sale) and the original one sheets looked like the book cover on a dark blue background. Anyone remember who the artist was?
Looking at Wikipedia, Roger Kastel.
The studio and publisher Bantam agreed on a title logo that would appear on both the paperback and in all of the advertising for the movie. The centerpieces of the joint promotion strategy were John Williams' theme and the poster image featuring the shark approaching a lone female swimmer. The poster was based on the paperback's cover, and had the same artist, Bantam employee Roger Kastel. The Seiniger Advertising agency spent six months designing the poster; principal Tony Seiniger explained that 'no matter what we did, it didn't look scary enough'. Seiniger ultimately decided that 'you had to actually go underneath the shark so you could see his teeth.'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaws_%28film%29#Promotion

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
NY2LA said:
Okay well I can explain that it was all on a stage at Warners - entirely a set, that had only the slightest resemblance to a theatre. I remember looking at it knowing it was supposed to be an old theatre but didn't look much like one - but from my days at Studio 54 and Xenon, the Ed Sullivan, an old former RKO on upper Bway where Love, Sidney was shot, and the former Aquarius/Earl Carroll Vanities nee Nick on Sunset - I know that you can "adapt" nearly all the atmospheric and functional theatricality out of a theatre. If it makes you feel better, you know movie and TV sets (like the Kodak Theatre) are built to look good on camera and don't look nearly as good in person - this set was definitely like that. I think it was in one of the old West Wing stages, directly across from where Friends (previously Full House) was. The exterior was simply the Hollywood Palladium with matte work from the marquee up. The side entrance and building across the street were shot pretty much as they are.
THE NON-JAWS PART OF THIS POST:
Yeah, that's my bad. I didn't mean that it was literally a movie palace, as in, you could sell tickets to a show if you wanted :) Reading back it certainly looks like that. I just meant that they went and constructed everything, at an enormous cost, but it all shows I felt. Sorkin talks about it all in pretty decent detail on his commentary for the pilot. I think there may even be a featurette on the DVD set that myself and you are probably the only two owners of. I'm so jealous you got to see it in person, even if it wasn't quite as majestic up close. Wasn't part of the reason the budget was so high due to that set, or am I misremembering that? (Note: I'm seriously considering searching for and bumping an old S-60 DVD thread so we don't anger the JAWS folks, ha)
THE JAWS PART OF THIS POST:
In regards to TSISW, Wikipedia has a cover image for a standalone DVD release. *Did* this ever get released on its own, and I somehow missed it? Or was it just wishful thinking on the part of the folks who put it together?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ScottHM said:
I was just saying it's not hard to pass this one up. I've never even seen Jaws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD /t/319941/ushe-press-release-jaws-blu-ray-plus-restoration-details/30#post_3915284
I don't understand.
I'm still confused. How is it possible?
I'm being half sarcastic.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
MattAlbie60 said:
THE NON-JAWS PART OF THIS POST:
Yeah, that's my bad. I didn't mean that it was literally a movie palace, as in, you could sell tickets to a show if you wanted :) Reading back it certainly looks like that. I just meant that they went and constructed everything, at an enormous cost, but it all shows I felt. Sorkin talks about it all in pretty decent detail on his commentary for the pilot. I think there may even be a featurette on the DVD set that myself and you are probably the only two owners of. I'm so jealous you got to see it in person, even if it wasn't quite as majestic up close. Wasn't part of the reason the budget was so high due to that set, or am I misremembering that? (Note: I'm seriously considering searching for and bumping an old S-60 DVD thread so we don't anger the JAWS folks, ha)
yeah let's do that I'll meet you there and answer this.
MattAlbie60 said:
THE JAWS PART OF THIS POST:
In regards to TSISW, Wikipedia has a cover image for a standalone DVD release. *Did* this ever get released on its own, and I somehow missed it? Or was it just wishful thinking on the part of the folks who put it together?
I honestly don't know but don't think they got to release it. Someone would have listed it on Amazon and it's not there.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
MattAlbie60 said:
Matt, it was absolutely never released on dvd. It was apparently planned for a dvd release, but the filmmakers never had the funding to do so.
Universal purchased it over a year ago.
Regarding the running time, I was told the100 minute version was used for screenings in film festivals that couldn't allow a 3 hour feature to fit their line up.
If every feature is on one disc, it is safe to assume(however unfortunate) that Univesal will opt to use the edited 100 minute feature.
I just hope the documentary is still decent with some 80 minutes being cut.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
ScottHM said:
I was just saying it's not hard to pass this one up.  I've never even seen Jaws.
Haven't you ever been curious to watch it?
It is considerd by some one of the best American films in cinematic history, and Spielberg's best direction(I think CEOT3K is his crowning achievement myself).
But if you are staying miles away from this, you must have your reasons.
EDIT:
Scott,
I just read in another post that you stay clear of films with "gore" in them. That explains it. Fair enough, and sorry for bugging you.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
IMDb message boards have answers re runtime (2 hrs 4-5 min) and what is missing from the three hour version.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0469185/board/nest/137102061

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
From the film makers( a link I posted in an earlier thread):
Why three hours? Jaws itself is only two.
Gove: The vast wealth of information that was acquired during our production travels gave us too many good things to leave out of the doc, or to relegate to being a potential special feature. The doc was always about the impact and legacy of Jaws, so it just made sense to do two discs, one on “The Impact”, and one on “The Legacy”.
Gelet: A three hour running time wasn’t anything we set out to have as our goal. In fact we very much had it in our minds that TSISW would be ninety minutes to two hours long at first. But as the editing process progressed, it became clear that that wasn’t going to happen unless we cut out what we considered to be some very essential stuff. In fact, we had to can about an hour of really good material just to get it down to three hours. And that was a very long process trying to figure what should stay and what should go. In the end, what we were left with was the most non-negotiable material we had. We feel that those three hours that make up TSISW are as tight a drum.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
If Uni now owns that footage outright, perhaps it will surface in future releases. Still wondering about the Biography program, did they go do all new stuff or license some of it from Uni...

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
NY2LA said:
If Uni now owns that footage outright, perhaps it will surface in future releases. Still wondering about the Biography program, did they go do all new stuff or license some of it from Uni...
It's been a while but the Biography program seemed to consist of all new interviews (Spielberg, Zanuck, Dreyfuss, John Williams, and the rest of the usual suspects), plus Roy Scheider's interview from The Shark is Still Working. I assume any clips from the film were licensed from Universal.
I'm still bummed that the Animal House Blu-Ray didn't include the Bio Channel doc, especially since it had been included on a previous DVD release.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
I wish Sony were putting this out instead of Universal. Every time I watch one of those Universal "restoration" videos I realize more and more that their whole philosophy towards how vintage films should look is absolutely 180 degrees from my view. Even when they go the extra mile with new 4K scans they still have this lowest-common denominator attitude....turning film into video for the benefit of Joe six-pack and his new HD tee vee. "Just a little grain management"...yeah right.
Maybe Jaws will be different but how likely is that?

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Oh, I haven't seen that disc myself. I was just curious. I know some folks were annoyed with certain aspects of it, but some folks are annoyed with everything. It's good to see him taking a pro-active approach to home video releases, though, even in a year when he had two movies come out like last year.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by WillG /t/319941/ushe-press-release-jaws-blu-ray-plus-restoration-details/60#post_3915695
Not sure, but what were the problems with Jurassic Park?
Something about it being a recycled old transfer. I haven't seen the disc myself, but I can't imagine it looks nearly as bad as the 2000 dvd.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Cannot wait to own this on BD!!! Great news.
One of my all time favorite films and the news about this doc that everyone seems to love (but I've never seen) is icing on the cake.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks