What's new

USHE Press Release: JAWS (Blu-ray) (Plus restoration details) (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Thanks for the post Ron. I had been on the fence on this one as I have the anniversary DVD. I appreciate the comparison notes between the two. I'm going to try and pick this one & Clue up in August.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nice to hear these details. I have to wonder why Uni schedules a summer movie to release at the end of the summer, though... (Like WB is with Tiny Toons Vacation) Anyway...
When you get to it would be nice to hear about the supps, most notably the Shark Is Still Working doc.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Very relieved to see RAH give the A/V perfect marks in the other thread. Finally a big release that doesn't disappoint- although I would really like to see some confirmation on the 2.0 track being the original mono mix and not just a down sample of the 7.1 track- as well as hearing if the 7.1 track retains all the iconic foley effects of the original mono mix. I remember being extremely disappointed watching the attack on the Orca after the Indianapolis speech and hearing so many iconic sounds missing. If they were reinstated for the 7.1 mix, then the original mono won't be as much of an issue- but it should have been included in any case.
Also, I'm hearing that The Shark Is Still Working is presented in 4:3 Letterbox with a miserably low bit rate- pretty shabby if true- though not many expected to even see it at all so...

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul_Scott said:
Also, I'm hearing that The Shark Is Still Working is presented in 4:3 Letterbox with a miserably low bit rate- pretty shabby if true- though not many expected to even see it at all so...
OUCH!!!! No excuse for that!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Doctorossi said:
Improving the bit-rate of the feature would be excuse enough for me.
they could have improved it even more if they made it a two Bd set (and dumped the redundant feature DVD that most Bd owners find superfluous)
Hell, for that matter just put the extras in SD on a dual layer DVD with a healthier bit rate.
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to hear at least one 1/2 hour of the film is 5/5 material- but if you are going to include supplemental material for all the flash it gives to the spec sheets, at least try to present them with some dignity for Pete's sake. Otherwise just give up the pretense and leave them off altogether. Some of the SD content I've gotten on Bd (not just from Universal) has been damn near unwatchable it looks so poor.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott /t/319941/ushe-press-release-jaws-blu-ray-plus-restoration-details/150#post_3956253

If they re-encoded it in VC-1 then they could get away with a nice low bitrate, did they. ?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Doctorossi said:
One 1/2 hour? Where are you getting that?
from the "a few words about..." thread
What I heard, and I viewed about half an hour of the film from different sequences, sounded superb -- created with a light and intelligent hand. A wonderfully immersive experience.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by BluRules12 /t/319941/ushe-press-release-jaws-blu-ray-plus-restoration-details/120#post_3955782
Awesome can't wait to get the digibook from Best Buy
The digibook exclusive from Best Buy totally escaped me. For some reason I love those digibooks and canceled by Amazon order to get that damn digibook. Thanks for hitting me in the head with this.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
ahollis said:
The digibook exclusive from Best Buy totally escaped me. For some reason I love those digibooks and canceled by Amazon order to get that damn digibook. Thanks for hitting me in the head with this.
Might be doing the same here. But I wonder if it's one of those Target-style digibooks that the discs fall out of if you so much as glance over at it from across a crowded room.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by ahollis /t/319941/ushe-press-release-jaws-blu-ray-plus-restoration-details/150#post_3956352

Is that thing really $30? Ouch!

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
As I am all about the packaging, I've ordered this Finnish Special Edition ...
633cc35d_jaws.jpeg

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
All those Best Buy exclusives drop to $10 or $15 a couple of times a year. Their exclusive digibook of THE TOWN was $14.99 a month and a half after it came out.

Khai L

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Khai
DVDBeaver Jaws bluray review is up already - with screenshots. It look fantastic!!!
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare6/jaws.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks