What's new

Press Release USHE Press Release: Classic Christmas Specials Collection (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

cinefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
Wasn't Remington shavers a sponsor one year? I remember the snowman coming down a hill on an electric shaver.
Maybe you're thinking of the Norelco commercials with Santa? They ran for a lot of years and had a stop motion style at least similar to Rankin-Bass, but I don't believe they were specifically associated with the Rudolph special.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
This is the one I have. No need to upgrade.

1C.jpg

2C.jpg

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
That’s a shame about the lack of a 35mm element, as Little Drummer Boy is probably my favorite of the Rankin-Bass Christmas specials. That said, I have to say I’ve been extremely disappointed with the audio mix on the more recent home video releases of the special to the point I find myself putting in my VHS copy of the film over the digital releases for the original mix. Not only are the digital releases missing a whole bunch of sound effects, but a crucial part of Greer Garson’s narration near the end of the film is inexplicably replaced by a man’s voice (possibly Paul Frees) that I’d say it’s worse than what happened with the DVD release of The Hobbit.
NBC ugh -in 1970 or 71 we went to NBC they had all the puppets at 30 Rock except the big guy the HUGE Monster of a Snowman and the page told us that he was in NBC's Jersey warehouse! And no one has seen him ever? Fun fact Kate jackson had just quit as Page and left for Hollywood we were told!

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
NBC ugh -in 1970 or 71 we went to NBC they had all the puppets at 30 Rock except the big guy the HUGE Monster of a Snowman and the page told us that he was in NBC's Jersey warehouse! And no one has seen him ever? Fun fact Kate jackson had just quit as Page and left for Hollywood we were told!
Get this guy on the case!
30 rock kenneth ellen parcell GIF

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
General Electric has been their sponsor for 58 years?

GE sponsored the first airing in 1964, I don't know who sponsored it afterwards; my guess would be GE again until sometime in the late 60's. Rudolph aired on NBC from 1964 to 1971 and then to over to CBS in 1972 to present day.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

There would have been duplicates made ...

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

There would have been duplicates made ...
I do not think they made more than one like Sam or Mrs Santa or Yukon -- they were all at NBS studios on display when I saw them so guess after the display was taken down they went back to rankin Bass and thats when they went to this family === Sam looked great when we saw him

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Incidentally. I have gotten in touch with Rick on several occasions on the possibility of a definitive R/B box set uniting all of the classic holiday specials in the near future—provided, of course, Universal and Warner Bros. (the latter company owning most of the post-‘74 R/B backlog) can get together with Shout Factory on such a set.

Until then…the discussion continues.
There’s a lot of largely unreleased Rankin Bass stuff including Mouse on the Mayflower, the Willy Mays cartoon and some of the family classics including Hiawatha. I’d love to see more releases

I'd also be interested IF this go-around Universal offered alternate soundtracks for Frosty the Snowman, both the original with legendary voice actress June Foray (Rocky the Flying Squirrel, Natasha Fatale and Cindy Lou Who among others) as the little girl Karen, and the re-recorded (and now standard) track voiced by an actual child performer, Suzanne Davidson.

The Rankin/Bass “Frosty” Specials on Records | (cartoonresearch.com)

Frosty the Snowman (found original June Foray voice recording of animated Christmas special; 1969) - The Lost Media Wiki

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I will pick this up since I have never purchased these before it will be my first purchase of this content.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks