What's new

Used Paradigm Servo 15 or SVS 20-39 PCi" (1 Viewer)

Robie O

Auditioning
My system is used for about 50 -50 music and HT. I currently have Paradigm Studio 80's in from CC at center and Studio 20's for surrounds. I am driving them with the Anthem AVM 2 and Rotel amps.

I can purchase a used Servo 15 for roughly the same price as the SVS sub. This might be a no brainer but I am wondering which would be better for my system. I want a musical sub but also one that will satisfy a room that is 12' X 30' X 10 feet high for movies. The SVS subs get terrific reviews everywhere I look. The Servo 15 has received some mixed. I can go either way on the design, I am not partial to the tube or box.

Thanks

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
I can't comment on the SVS sub because I have never listened to one. However, my friend has a Servo 15 to compliment his complete Paradigm reference system. I think the Servo 15 is outstanding for both home theatre and music.

One night I was at his place and we were watching U-571...he decided to turn up the sub (at the time it was fairly new) to test it a little. During one of the depth charge scenes...I think around the 3rd explosion.....his plates came rattling out of the cupboards and crashed onto the counter and floor. I am not suggesting this means anything spectacular....but that sub really packs a mean punch while sounding fantastic.

To date the Servo 15 remains my favorite....nothing else I have heard performs better. I have the 2200 and wish I had spent the extra cash for the Servo 15.

Adam_R

Second Unit
I can speak for the SVS. I have the 20-39PCi, and it has been absolutely amazing. I run it along with Pinnacle fronts, center and surrounds. It produces EXTREME amounts of deep smooth bass. Keep in mind that I have it in a HUGE room with a vaulted ceiling. It's a lot of air to move, but iti does just fine. When properly calibrated it blends right into my system. Running a 200Hz-20Hz sweep, I can hear almost no "dead" or "hot" spots, and at no point does the sound fade out, it just keeps going down until the sweep has played out. It is the best investment I have made in HT. I can't imagine you being disappointed.

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I have had the 2039pc and currently have the Servo 15a and a Von Schweikert S/3 sub. I used 1 channel on a Parasound 2205a to drive the 20-39 after 6 months I sold the 20-39. The 20-39 is a good sub and maybe I was not using enough power to drive it (300watts into 4 ohms)to get the results I wanted. I have about 7500 to 8000 cubic feet listening area which is a huge space.Both subs are very nice subs I guess I had lived with the Servo a little longer and preferred the sealed servo controlled sub. I know this doesn't help but the Servo is a great sub. All reveiws in the usual HT rags gave the Servo rave reviews. It is in this months SGHT as a AAAA recommended sub.When it was first released it was and still is the reviewers reference sub.
Good luck,
Steve

TommyL

Supporting Actor
I'd grab the SVS...it is a rockin sub...good clean tight bass, and looks great IMO. It wouldn't hurt to try ne on the 45 day trial...I would bet you keep it...in fact, I'm purchasing another sub from SVS...another reason is getting a "new" sub from a place where customer service is #1 and then some...give it a try...you WILL like it. tom

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I'll second the servo for another reason, if you can buy at the same price as a SVS entry level sub then one thing definitely to remember is that the servo will maintain this value on the used market and the SVS is only going to drop (five years from now, when upgrade bug bites which will have the higher resale value?).

Now if we were talking about the + or Ultra series... I'd definitely would go this route instead or get a diy woofer built to your standards by Brian, Kyle, or Stryke instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks