What's new

Use older receiver for sub amp??? (1 Viewer)

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
Can I do this? Is it possible?

Thinking about building a small sealed enclosure with a relatively small (8 or 10 inch) woofer. Looking for something that borders on "punchy" or "mid-bass". For some reason, I've always liked that kind of sound!! :)

I have an old Technics SA-810 receiver laying around doing nothing. Seems like it's 80 watts per channel.

Can I somehow use this receiver to power a sub? Thanks for any help.

I'm just trying to think how I'd control the sub.....

Steve

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Yes you can do this and it might work great- its just a matter of whether the receiver has enough power. As for control- receiver has a volume knob- what other control do you need ?

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
I think the receiver has plenty of power for what I want to do with it. It will drive a pair of your typical bookshelf speakers into oblivion :)

You're right, it does have a volume control on the receiver, Brian........I guess I just like the convenience of being able to adjust the sub thru the receiver (like my state-of-the-art Technics SA-DX950 :D ).

Any woofer you might recommeded for this application? Thanks.

Steve

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Connect the sub-out from your HT receiver to any audio input (except phono) on the older receiver. Then select that input on the old receiver. Now your sub level control on the HT receiver will adjust the signal strength going to the "sub amp". You'll still have to set the old receivers volume control to some reasonable level, but after that you can use the sub level control to fine tune it.

lee ison

Stunt Coordinator
if I'm not mistaken every time you raise or lower the volume on the HT rec. you would have to change the level(volume)on the sub rec.?, using a line level input.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor

Thats not true. This would only be a problem when tapping a monitor or tape loop type line level output that is disengaged from the master volume level. The sub out volume rises and falls with the HTR master volume, and so would the speaker level output from the second receiver to the sub.

As Ryan said, you are really doing the same thing as everybody else except that the amplification for the sub driver is done by the old stereo receiver rather than a plate amp housed in the sub box. The volume knob on the receiver plays exactly the same roke as the vokume knob on a sub amp. Set it somewhere and leave it alone- adjust from the sub receiver just the same as Ryan pointed out. Actually using the receiver has a small bonus- a (very crude) equalizer feature via the bass tone control and the loudness button (if present).

As for choosing a driver, here are 4 10 inch candidates candidates from parts express at various price points:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....woofer&start=1

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
Well, just got done placing an order with Parts Express. Ordered the 8" Dayton sub and the cherry vinyl to cover it.

Looking for more of the "mid-bass" sound. Will be using the Technics SA-810 to drive it, and controlled with a Yamaha DSP-E492 processer that I also have laying around. Will probably be hooking this up to my stereo system upstairs, which consists of Yamaha M-80 amp, C-60 Preamp, Yamaha equalizer (GE-60 I think), etc.

I just like messing around with stereo stuff. ;)

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks