Use "Bass Boost" or not?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jim Mcc, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I have a JVC Dolby Digital 6.1 receiver with a bass boost switch, and I'm wondering if I should have it on or off.
    I'm using five(6.5") bookshelf speakers, center channel speaker with 4" woofers, and a 100 watt, 8" Sony sub. I have all 6 speakers set to "Small", and sub. set to 80hz.(I think). Do you think I should set "bass boost" to on or off?
    This is just for home theater, by the way. Thanks for any advice.

2. Rob Silver

Rob Silver Stunt Coordinator

That all depends on your taste and your equipment. If you feel your speakers put out enough thump w/o the bass boost, then leave it off. If you like more thump, then turn it on. Personally, I like to leave EQ and everything else at default when I listen to music and watch movies. But that's just me.

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Thanks Rob, but I thought if I set speakers to "small", the bass bypasses those speakers and goes to subwoofer? Is that correct?

4. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Depends what frequency the boost is centered at,the same goes for the crossover setting[if it's variable]of the bass managment.
    All in all I wouldn't use it unless you listen at low volume.

5. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

There are a lot of people who like to strictly adhere to reference level audio calibrations. Me, personally, prefer to do whatever sounds better to me.

Do an A/B comparison with it on and off and see which way you like best. Just make sure that you're not overdriving your speakers with the additional bass.

6. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Exactly....it might be very effective as a sort of loudness compensation at low volumes.

BGL

7. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Listen to it, but I doubt it'd do you any good (except in the highly unlikely event that it happens to compensate nearly perfectly for a specific deficiency somewhere).

Usually, these "bass boost" features are just EQ alterations that amplify the frequencies in a certain range. In this case, it's most likely the upper bass, and this will give you the perception of "punchier" bass. But what you really want is a "flat" (that is, "even") response across all frequencies. If you just happen to have a dip in those frequencies that are boosted (generally due to room acoustics or poor sub/speaker integration), then it'll sound like an improvement. However, it is very, very unlikely that this button will re-EQ your system to compensate for just those frequency responses that might happen to be lacking.