What's new

USB to Toslink for DD/DTS rcvr? and others... (1 Viewer)

EmetW

Stunt Coordinator
I ran across a JVC receiver with USB input on its front panel. Does this mean that when playing a DVD on a computer that is connected to this receiver, it can decode the DVD in DD or DTS 5.1? Also, I just bought a Denon AVR-87 (AVR-1800) and just yesterday I happened to see an adapter thingy in an MCM Electronics flyer that converts USB to a Mini Optical output. Would this be what I need to get DD and DTS decoding of my computer DVD with my receiver, or will I need a dedicated sound card with its own digital output? I have a Sony 12x (or maybe it is a 16x) DVD-ROM. If I do need to get a sound card, what is the least expensive card I can get that would give me the optical or coaxial digital output that I need (and without being a crappy card-I don't really need an Allinwonder or a SB Live Platinum card). Thanks!

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
You can buy and Audigy OEM card for about $60 w/ a toslink output.

I am not sure aobut this JVC receiver, but I do know that the HK receivers w/ similar functionality sell a dongle type convertor that allows the receiver to do MP3 decoding. not sure if the JVC is similiar in functionality.

EmetW

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Dave-one quick question about the Audigy card-does it support 96khz/24 bit sampling rates? Will this card get me the DD/DTS support I am looking for? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks