USB to Toslink for DD/DTS rcvr? and others...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EmetW, Aug 13, 2002.

1. EmetW

EmetW Stunt Coordinator

I ran across a JVC receiver with USB input on its front panel. Does this mean that when playing a DVD on a computer that is connected to this receiver, it can decode the DVD in DD or DTS 5.1? Also, I just bought a Denon AVR-87 (AVR-1800) and just yesterday I happened to see an adapter thingy in an MCM Electronics flyer that converts USB to a Mini Optical output. Would this be what I need to get DD and DTS decoding of my computer DVD with my receiver, or will I need a dedicated sound card with its own digital output? I have a Sony 12x (or maybe it is a 16x) DVD-ROM. If I do need to get a sound card, what is the least expensive card I can get that would give me the optical or coaxial digital output that I need (and without being a crappy card-I don't really need an Allinwonder or a SB Live Platinum card). Thanks!

2. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

You can buy and Audigy OEM card for about $60 w/ a toslink output.

I am not sure aobut this JVC receiver, but I do know that the HK receivers w/ similar functionality sell a dongle type convertor that allows the receiver to do MP3 decoding. not sure if the JVC is similiar in functionality.

3. EmetW

EmetW Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Dave-one quick question about the Audigy card-does it support 96khz/24 bit sampling rates? Will this card get me the DD/DTS support I am looking for? Thanks!