What's new

urgent dvd profiler question - please (1 Viewer)

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
For some unknown reason, my dvd profiler won't open any more. It comes up with an error message and offers to try and repair the database. If you say yes, it tries & fails! If you say no it doesn't try to open the program.
Can I un-instal & re-instal and then download my database from the internet? I don't see an easy option to download though... does anyone here know how?
confused.gif

Stewart
------------------
stewart

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
Don't you just love this forum
icon14.gif
where else could you have an answer 5 minutes after you ask the question!
I found the download thanks, and it's repairing as I type this. Does it corrupt quite often then?
Stewart
------------------
stewart

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Just an FYI, although I love DVDProfiler as much as the next guy and by no means do I think I could make a better program, I wanted to let people know that DVDProfiler isnt exactly the most stable program in the world. It is also very memory hungry. If you have a machine with 64MB or less of RAM, then while running it, you can possibly start to run into resource conflicts within Windows.
What I do is, everytime I update it, I goto File and Backup my Database. It only takes 45 seconds to backup the file to my C: drive and if, by chance, something happens and my databases get trashed, I just reinstall the program and do a Restore, and voila, everything is back!

ErichH

Screenwriter
I like DVD Profiler so much - I installed it on my Mac (with VirtualPC4)
Quicksilver Runs Win Just Fine !!
Eric

DustinDavis

Stunt Coordinator
As long as you update on the Web site, you should be able to crash you local as much as you want and recover from the Web.
FWIW, mine has never crashed at all.
------------------
Dustin A. Davis '94
Dustin Davis for Dummies : My HT : Link Removed
"But they are useless. They can only give you answers." - Pablo Picasso on computers

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The exact same thing happened to mine about 6 months ago. I eneded up e-mailing them and they told me to download the same patch you mention and that fixed it.
orangeman
------------------
Link Removed

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
Often when I opened DVDProfiler, it told me that my DB was corrupted. I finally found the problem: on my PC, Outlook2000 and DVDProfiler couldn't be opened at the same time otherwise DVDProfiler crashed!
If I closed Outlook before opening DVDProfiler, it went fine...
I've installed Outlook XP and don't have the problem anymore...
Vincent
------------------

AFI Top 100 Films Home Theater Forum Challenge

AFI Movies Left To Watch: 34 33 32 31 30: Sound Of Music (3.5 out of 4)

Karen Maraj

Agent
Grrr.. I wish I knew about that patch. I have a back-up'd copy so I just blew the program away, meaning to re-install the program, and start from where my back-up left off. I wasn't thinking!
BTW, it would be amazing to have an online version of DVDProfiler, that way it will be fully housed online, updates, etc.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I found out about the repair program after I blew mine away. Luckily I just downloaded it back from MyProfiler site. Now I backup on hard drive and to the site after every change since it doesn't take long.
And, who has less than 64MB of memory anymore? And, I thought I was low at 256MB.
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks