What's new

Upgrading my display: At a crossraods. (1 Viewer)

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I'm looking at upgrading from a lowly 32 inch Zenith HD CRT tube, the c32v37.

My viewing distance is negotiable and flexible.

On one hand, I'm seriously considering the Sony KD-34XBR960, a reference widescreen HD Tube that would give me arguably one of the best PQ's on the market and give me 5-6 more inches on widescreen material. (Especially if I splurge for an ISF job.)

The other consideration is: DLP, LCD, and LCOS and the 1080p ready displays coming out in the Fall from several different companies.

I tend to play my hand fairly conservatively when it comes to electronics. I know each of the new techs has its ups and downs, and even the CRT tubes do, but I know I'm in "safe harbor" if I stick with tube and go with the XBR960. I'm spoiled by the PQ that a good-great CRT tube can give me and that's going to be my litmus test going out for anything else.

I feel fairly overwhelmed with the display market right now, in general. If you go to forums like AVS, you quickly become dismayed when you start reading bug threads about any number of the new techs. Rainbows, Screen door effect, audio-video lag, burn-in, lightbulbs, and so on. :roll:

So...this is just kind of a wide open post and all thoughts, inputs, and opinions are greatly appreciated.

:)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Eric,
I went thru this about a year ago and bought a Mitsubishi 55413(CRT) RPTV. Given you have seemed to rule out buying a 720P based display(I guess?) then the Sony is the route I'd go.

If you haven't ruled out a 720P based display, then the JVC DILA is the set I prefer at the moment. The only flaw besides it having a bulb I have noticed when viewing one is the fan noise. A 61" DILA for $2800 looked like an awful good deal to me. That's almost CRT pricing for the same size...

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I liked the PQ of the DILA's I've seen, but I've also read and heard a lot of horror stories about JVC quality control on these sets.

I haven't ruled out ANYTHING. WIDE open! 720p, 1080p, I just want to land smart, land right, and not be here again a year from now with buyer's remorse.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, Eric, if I were in your situation I'd be inclined to go with the Sony. All the new technology aside, the XBR produces the finest available picture quality in a direct-view, CRT-based set. And CRT still is the best video technology presently.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
That's my instinct on it, Jack, but I want to really feel this whole thing out before I commit and make a move. I suspect if I bought the XBR960 it would be something I'd keep until the TV dies. That's just how I usually work.

I haven't heard that Sony has any 2005 plans for tubes beyond possibly having a price drop of $200 in July on their current tubes.

They may be done with tubes outright after this year. I know Toshiba is coming out with a new line of tubes for the Fall, including a model that's expected to compete with Sony's high end models like the XBR960.

It's going to be interesting...

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I ordered the 960 from Crutchfield's this morning! I'm EXCITED! :)

Thanks for all your help, everyone. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks