What's new

Upgrading from the denon 3801 to 4802. Is it worth the money difference?? (1 Viewer)

Luis M

Second Unit
I am the proud owner of the Denon 3801, When the 3802 came out I felt the urge to upgrade, just like it happened before, with my former Denon 3300 to the 3801,I went ahead and got it for the DTS-ES "gimmick". But this time the bigger brother cut my attention ( Denon 4802 ) I don't want to upgrade to the 3802, just because it has DLP-II. I felt the upgrade fron the 3300 to the 3801 was not what I was looking for, It was basically the same receiver with a new gimmick to play with. This time I want to upgrade to a better sounding receiver. Will I "upgrade" this time and find myself with a much better sounding receiver (4802) or will I be paying for more connections,power and DPL-II?. I need help on this one. Thank you.

Steve_D

Second Unit
I would add a seperate amp to your 3801 for the same money.
What % HT and what % music would change my rec on which amps to audition.
------------------
Link Removed

Brian_J

Second Unit
The higher you go up the audio chain the more likely you are to be dissapointed. In other words, the law of diminishing returns starts to kick in. You will probably never again have the experience that you had going from that old receiver to the 3300.
Now, I dont know if that applies from the 3801 to the 4802 because I have not heard it and dont think many, or any, others have either.
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"The higher you go up the audio chain the more likely you are to be dissapointed. In other words, the law of diminishing returns starts to kick in. You will probably never again have the experience that you had going from that old receiver to the 3300."
That's a pretty brave statement, Brian. It's also one I completely disagree with. Many have upgraded receivers to "the flagship" and been more than happy. In fact, I don't recall the last post I read about the guy that upgraded from a Denon 3300 to a Denon 5800 or the Pioneer HTB to the B&K 307 and complained. There is a point of diminishing returns....but you're way off the mark with this being an example, IMO.
There is a significant difference in the $1000 receiver compared to the $3000 receiver. Granted, there may be a significantly less difference in the pre/pro for $5k vs. the one for $10k, but even then....one will notice the differences of the two if they're a video/audiophile.
It is a bit tough at this point to compare the the 3801/4802 since they aren't out yet...but it is reasonable to expect the 4802 to sound pretty dog-gone good. If you get the opportunity, check out a 4800 at your local B&M. Audition it against a 3802 and come to your own conclusions.
The addition of flexible bass management, DPLII, THX post processing, DTS 24/96, Aktis remote control, etc...are not examples of diminishing returns, rather they are "gimmicks" that can be used every day in your audio life.
Jeremy

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Pardon the intrusion here but I have a similar question: would it be worthwhile to upgrade from a Denon 2700 to, say, a 3802. Aside from DTS and DPLII, and considering I use my system for about, oh, 80-20 music vs HT (and I use the digital out on my CD player), would the sonic improvements
be worth spending the $800-900? (I can't audition because nobody around here sells Denon.)

GregoriusM

Second Unit
IMHO, since you said "besides DTS and DPL2", the only reason you'd want to upgrade is for the 7 channels, and if your speakers require a little extra oomph.
The 2700 is a pretty good sounding receiver.
And $800 to $900 is a lot of money.
If you're happy with your sound, keep your 2700 for another year or two or longer!
IMHO!
P.S. I own a 3300 and have auditoned the 3801/02, and the 1601, 1801, 2801 as well.
Yes, the 3801 is a little tighter, but again, you seem to be happy with your setup now. Upgrade fever is a hard thing to cure, if at all! ;-) I know I keep trying to give myself reasons to upgrade to the 3802, but I don't have room for 6 or 7 speakers, and my 3300 just sounds so sweet to me, that I have to keep the "urge" down from time to time.
It is especially hard when you read these forums! ;-)
If you have enough "oomph" and enough connections, and you're happy with what you hear, then keep your cash.
... Greg
------------------
.... "just me up on my pony on my boat".

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Greg,
Thanks for the response.
Yes, the 3801 is a little tighter, but again, you seem to be happy with your setup now. Upgrade fever is a hard thing to cure, if at all! ;-) ... It is especially hard when you read these forums! ;-)
Exactly. No, I don't need (or have room for) 6 or 7 speakers so I was just wondering if it result in any sound improvement. My main speakers are NHT Super 2's which are relatively inefficient (86 or 87) so that's basically why I was wondering. I like the way they sound now but I don't know if I'd be happier if I upgraded my receiver.

AllanW

Grip
I myself am consider going from the 3801 to either the 2802 or 3802. I watch 100% movies/TV, no music. But I also watch 95% satellite/recorded VHS, only 5% DVD. So I want as good a sound I can get out of DPL, stereo sources. Therefore I am wondering if a move to DPL2 is worth it for me?
I feel that the differences between the 2802 and the 3802 are differences that I will not use. Like 2nd source, 2 rear center speakers (I only have room for 1 anyway), 90watts is enough (I think) my room is only 15x12, I already have the MX500 universal remote, so the 3802 remote is useless.
If I move to the 3802 from the 3801, it will cost $350, if I move to the 2802, I will make money and I think I will keep the same features I use.
Will I lose any sound quality moving to the 2802?
Can anyone answer that?

Alan Wild

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the same boat as Luis.
I have a 3801 and Sudio 100 speakers. I sure would appreciate the extra power the 4802 would offer. I would love to have DPLII and THX Post Processing. And frankly I already had to add a JVC JX-S555 to my setup because I ran out of inputs on the 3801. More inputs would definately be appreciated.
I'm left wondering if I would be happier with the 4802 or if I should wait, save some more, and go for a pre/pro setup. Maybe the Outlaw?
-Alan

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
Alan,
You should try going for separates. Right now if you want you can spend money on quality amplification to supplement what you have within your receiver. You'd greatly benefit from it because your speakers are way too power hungry than their specs would have you believe.
When the Outlaw does finally come out (god knows when
frown.gif
you can check it out to see if it gives you anything more over your existing setup.
Good Luck
------------------------------------
The things we own end up owning us
[Edited last by John-D on August 31, 2001 at 03:10 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks