What's new

upgrading firmware on Linksys router...how? (1 Viewer)

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Hello,

I've been trying to upgrade the firmware on my linksys cable/dsl router since I bought it a few weeks ago. I have not been able to though.

I go into the router settings and go to upgrade firmware. It brings up a page with a password and file path input.

What am I supposed to do here? Is the password the same as what I use to log into my router? What about the file path...is that just where I want to download the file to on my computer?

I realize this sounds strange, because you're probably thinking why not just try it...but I have. It just sits there at 0%...not doing anything.

"RTFMF" is no help either, because the manual tells me nothing about what to do.

Anyways, hopefully someone can help me out.

Thanks.

Andrew

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
I'd say the password is the same as the one you use to log in to your router, as for the file, it's probably asking you where you have downloaded the firmware. Just point it to the file and see if that works. I have a D-Link router and the firmware comes in .exe form so all i have to do is open the file and it automatically upgrades the firmware. I'd read the Linksys site to get more info on it.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
When I upgraded the firmware on my Linksys WAP11 I just ran the exe I downloaded from Linksys, and it updated the firmware automatically. I think I had to connect the USB cable to do it; I don't think it'll work through the Ethernet.

KJP

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Umm, maybe I should have clarified. I have yet to download anything. This password and file path thing is what I have to type before I can begin to download anything.

I dunno, maybe I'll just call their tech support number. They were really friendly to me the last time I called about another issue.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Andy,

You need to go to the website, and download the latest firmware for your unit. All by yourself. :)

Then, you go into your linky's config tool, and upgrade firmware, and plug in your password, and the path to the file you just downloaded.

Also available somewhere on Linksys' site is a tftp client that's stand alone, and will send the firmware update to your unit.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Well, I figured out that I needed to download the file (by myself lol), so I did that. Unzipped it, and ran the update utility from the router setup page.

Nothing. It tells me it can't connect to the host or server (sorry I can't remember which it said right now).

Well, I'll mess around with it some more in a little while.

Does it matter if I have more than one computer plugged into the router while I'm trying to do this? Should the other computer be turned off?

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
All I did was download from the linksys web site and run the updater. I can't remember if it asked for the IP of my router, but I left all my computers plugged in and it just updated itself. Then I reset all my settings by hand.

Cliff Watson

Agent
Andrew,

Use the Tftp utility that is included with the download from Linksys.

If you have not made any changes in the default router settings the server will be 192.168.1.1 and the password is “admin”. Select the code file and click upgrade. After upgrading the firmware you really should change that default password.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Cliff,
I've tried both ways. I reset the router, so my password is back to admin now. But I still get an error message.
I'll try it again right now and see what happens though.
**EDIT**
Tried again. No luck. The exact error message I'm getting is "failed to resolve host address"
**EDIT(2)**
OMG, I feel like a total moron! :) I was typing in Link Removed when it should have only been 192.168.1.1
Man, how stupid can I be :D
Anyways, sorry for wasting everyones time...at least I have it updated now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks