What's new

Upgrading Denon AVR-5700 w/M&K speakers (1 Viewer)

Matt Young

Auditioning
Hi Folks -

I've had an AVR-5700 for a few years, and would like to add some multi-zone capabilities, component up-conversion, ProLogic II, 7.1, etc to my system.

I currently have M&K S-150 speakers.

Any recommendations on a newer receiver to consider? I love the way the Denon sounds, but it seems as though the cost to get comparable features/sound has dropped considerably over the past few years.

Looked at the Sony STR-DA5000ES but am concerned about early worries over hiss and quiet-ness.

Most of my use is for HT rather than music as well.

Thanks!
Matt

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
There are two ways you can go on this - a new receiver or separates. The choice is yours. I decided to go with separates since I was getting tired of purchasing new amplification every time I upgraded the front end. Besides, generally separate amplification sounds better than an all-in-one box solution, although some receiver amp sections do a nice job. And on the receiver end of things, there have been improvements in the features as well as a drop in price over the past few years. Lots of choices and it comes down to personal preference. Sort of like asking, "What car should I buy?" There's no single answer to this, just recommendations. I'm confident members will chime in with their personal favorites.

When I moved my 5700 out of the HT I replaced it with separates. While in the HT I had added separate amplification for the front channels (Marantz 700 monoblocks) and then later I switched to an Outlaw 950 pre/pro and some more separate amps once the 5700 left.

Now I've upgraded the pre-pro to a Lexicon MC-8.

The M&Ks (I also have 150s) have been with me all the time. There's more information on my HT website.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
By all means audition the seperates. I did and was not impressed (I felt the 5700 had better features and sound over a $2.5k seperates package). Do any pre/pros offer video conversion? Check out the newer receivers from Pioneer and Denon... they are impressive units.

jason-celaya

Agent
I didnt see a 2500.00 limit. If you want new and features ..go with a nice reciever. However for about 3-4k you can get used seperates that in my auditions will yield better sound and flexabity.

I think the 5803 is the only reciever that may stand up to seperates in the price range.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
While many receivers will sound similar to separates in a lot of real world situations don't forget that the next time something new comes down the pike in the way of a feature or sound mode, separates offer the flexibility of not having to replace the amps.

Of course, some people who go from receiver to receiver in the upgrade path consider this just some of the cost of doing business.

That's a personal decision.

In my opinion, amplification outside of a receiver "box" performs better than receiver amps. In an A/B comparison of external and internal ampliciation with my now-retired Denon 5700, the addition of amps was definitely an upgrade in the sound. A one-box solution has to make some design compromises so this isn't really surprising. One you find amps that you like, you will probably have them for many, many years.

On the other hand, more "boxes" means more wires and that can lead to additional issues.

Isn't this a wonderful "hobby?"

:D

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Matt,
The component upconversion is going to be a roadblock if you wish to go to seperates. The Outlaw that RAF suggests doesn't do it nor does many of the lower end seperates for that matter. The Onkyo Integra DTR preamp might do it but that is not a 100% sure. If that isn't a feature that you can live w/o then you are going to be tied down to one of the super-recievers. That said the M&K's love the power so you might consider an external amplifier added into whatever you purchase.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Yes, that's true. In fact I don't even think my Lexicon does upconversion to component. That's never been an issue with me since all of my recent receivers and pre-pros have had component switching so that I can accommodate multiple component sources. For other sources I haven't found a need for up-conversion.

The main suggestion still stands, though. Separate amps are a nice upgrade with any receiver. And you can still use the receiver and bypass the internal amplification.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks