What's new
World Wide Stereo

Upgraded Speakers now need a better receiver. (1 Viewer)

4RunnerSeth

Auditioning
Real Name
seth sinclair
I upgraded my speakers and now am looking for advice on a receiver. I have a yamaha RX-V373. Its a great receiver and has served me well. Before it was pushing some old HTIB speakers. Now i have upgraded speakers to some decent stuff. I have looked at higher end Yamahas and want to know if I'm really gaining any audio quality with these higher end receivers in the 400-700 range or am I just gaining features. I really don't care for more features. I want something that can compliment my now much higher end speakers. I would like to stay under $800. I have my sources are Comcast HD DVR, Sony Network 3D Blu-ray, and a Wii. Front L/R - Sonance VP45 Center - Martin Logan Motion 6 Rear L/R - Martin Logan Motion 2 Sub - Martin Logan Dynamo 700W

728x90

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
More power just equals louder. However it also means greater dynamic range. But, to run into issues you'd have to overrun this AVR. Which if you aren't...more power doesn't make a difference. Believe it or not, these new speakers are probably using less power than the "pre-package" speakers you replaced.

4RunnerSeth

Auditioning
Real Name
seth sinclair
schan1269 said:
More power just equals louder. However it also means greater dynamic range. But, to run into issues you'd have to overrun this AVR. Which if you aren't...more power doesn't make a difference. Believe it or not, these new speakers are probably using less power than the "pre-package" speakers you replaced.
So I should just stick with what I have? Is there something in that range that will be a higher quality receiver that will produce better sound and not just more power and features.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm not sure if that Yamaha is integrated circuit or discrete... That would make a difference. The only brands(that I definitely know are) "totally discrete" are Denon/Marantz(have been 2-3 years-ish) and Onkyo/Integra(as of the current model year). So I'll "sorta rescind" what I said and I'll look into "where in the Yammy line-up" they switch to discrete.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The 473(on the Yammy USA page, bullet point number 2) says... Discrete amp configuration. http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v473_black_u/?mode=model

4RunnerSeth

Auditioning
Real Name
seth sinclair

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Without writing a 50 dissertation... If you Google... Integratec circuit (or IC) vs. Discrete You'll find that there have been tests/surveys done showing that people can't tell the difference between both styles. IC is much less expensive. That being said. The "other thing" you need to consider is "how much total power is available". No (current) AVR makes its stated power by 5 or 7. They can say it all they want to on the outside of the box. Doesn't make it true. The true mettle of an amps(regardless of amp/int amp/receiver) ability to create sound...is its power reserve. Bass takes more power than high ranges. However...by "size to required force" a tweeter is less efficient than a woofer. Still takes gobs more power to move a woofer. This is like stating it takes 14hp to keep a Honda Civic at 70mph, and it takes 60hp to keep a 80,000 semi doing 70mph. It still takes "gobs more" but the semi is being more efficient. Anyway, bottom line is...more power reserve gives more "oomph" to your music system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks