What's new

Upgraded HTB503's sub with Sony SA-WM40...in a word GREAT! (1 Viewer)

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
For anyone wondering (as I was) if it was worth it to upgrade my Kenwood HTB503's subwoofer with the all too famous Sony SA-WM40...the clear answer is YES! The difference is night and day. I am hearing and FEELING bass I didn't even know was in the first place. I asked a question regarding this upgrade some time ago but the answers were kind of half positive half negative...thank God I decided to do it. This is not a regular technical review but a recommendation for anyone in my own situation and there should be plenty since the HTB503 was a hot seller. Pick this one up you won't be sorry. I got mine for $168 and it was a steal!

Regards

JasonRH

Second Unit
Thanks for the update, Luis.

What else have you changed in your 503, if anything??

I still have all the base components that came with the set ( except I got floor standing fronts as part of a deal) and was wondering if I should upgrade.

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Luis.. did you consider the SVS 20-39CS ? I'm looking to upgrade subs also.. I've heard ALOT about this particular SVS sub.. but not too much about that Sony.

Any consideration to the SVS?

thanks!

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Are you aware of the price differential? If you want to spend five times what the Sony goes for, definitely get an SVS 20-39PC.

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Didn't know there was that big of a price difference.. thanks for the heads up!

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Jack makes the real point....
You are comparing appels to oranges!
Each subs {price point} is a winner with it's exceptional performance for the dollar spent.....
But be clear thier is a quite a dollar incress that comes along with the Sony Crushing performance of any of the SVS's.
If you got it, the answer is easy, SVS.

Haywood

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Luis you should try daisy chaining the two subs. I sold my Sony to my friend who has a HTB503 and he loves it. Just run LFE into the Sony then out to the Kenwood sub and re-calibrate. Trust me if you love the Sony alone this will add a whole other dimension. Oh yeah make sure they are in the same corner.
Later Haywood :cool:

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
As a matter of fact I am using both and it indeed works great! I am going to try placing the Kenwood on top of the Sony and see what it does to the sound.

Regarding what I have change from the HTB503..basically all I have is the receiver and the sub. My main and rear speakers are Acoustic Research 318PS (towers) and the matching center PSC25. The speaker wire is AR 12 gauge.

About the SVS...yes I was looking for one but since the I seem to never come up with the money I decided for a quicker and cheaper upgrade first and it was a good decision.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks