1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrade to Progressive Scan DVD Player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Blaine Skerry, Sep 21, 2001.

1. Blaine Skerry

Blaine Skerry Second Unit

I am currently running a Panasonic A-120 DVD player connected to a 32" GAOO by component inputs. Would there be a noticeable picture improvement if I switched to a progressive scan player? Any comments?
    [Edited last by Blaine Skerry on September 21, 2001 at 02:15 PM]

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Does your 32-inch television accept progressive signals? Just because it has component video inputs does not mean that it can handle progressive video signals. Unless it is a "HD-ready" set, chances are it does not. If your TV cannot accept a 480p progressive video signal, than upgrading to a progressive scan DVD player will not provide any picture improvement over a standard interlaced-only player.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

3. Blaine Skerry

Blaine Skerry Second Unit

Thanks for the information, Scott. I've emailed Panasonic for the details.

4. RyanMM

RyanMM Extra

If you had one, you would know. 32" HDTV ready would set you back $1600-1700 USD. Unless, you spent that kind of money (or you got a spectacular deal) it is not a HDTV capable set.
    Ryan