What's new

Want to upgrade my sound system.... (1 Viewer)

silentsnake09

Auditioning
Real Name
Kristopher Wilcox
I currently have a LG LHT764 system hooked up to my 42" plasma for my sound. I would like to upgrade my audio system but I am not sure where to start. I can't buy it all at once so I am basically asking what to do first. Do I keep the LG amp and start adding speakers in pairs to it than end with buying a new amp. Or do I start with a new amp than slowly add the speakers to it?

Current System Specs:

Audio
XTS Pro (Digital Amplifier)•
Dolby Digital 5.1 ch Decoding•
Dolby Digital Prologic ll•
Tuner
BandFM/AM
Station Preset50
FM Tuner Range (100kHz tuning Steps)87.50-108.00MHz(50kHz)
AM Tuner Range (10kHz tuning Steps)530-1720kHz
Digital Satellite Radio TunerXM-Ready
Video
Progressive Scan•
1080i upconversation (HDMI)1080i
Video Output Resolutions480i/720p/1080i
Audio / Video Playback Formats
Disc Capacity5
DVD Video (NTSC /PAL)•
DVD-Audio•
CD-R/RW•
DVD-R•
DVD-RW•
DVD+R•
DVD+RW•
MP 3 Audio•
WMA Audio•
JPEG Photo•
DivX A/V•
DVD Playback Features
Parental Lock•
Chapter Skip (REW/FWD)•
Search /Slow/Step Skip for Rev & Fwd•
Audio Playback Features
Number of Programmable Tracks20
MP3 ID3 Tag Support•
JPEG Preview•
Programmable Play•
DVD/CD/VCD Player
Initial LanguageEnglish
Amplifier/Speaker
Front Speaker TypesSatellite
Subwoofer Speaker TypeStandard (7 Inch)
Output Power–Front155W x 2*
Output Power–Center155W*
Output Power–Rear155W x 2*
Output Power–Subwoofer225W**
Center Speaker TypeHorizontal Standing
Rear Speaker TypesSatellite
Front Panel
USB (A) Port•
Rear Panel
Component Video Out•
Composite Video Out•
FM Antenna Input•
AM Antenna Input•
Speaker Output Type/NumberPush-in/5
HDMI Out•
Satellite Radio Antenna Input (XM In)•
Subwoofer Output Type/NumberPush-in/1

Enigmatism415

Auditioning
Real Name
Drew
I guess it would really depend on the extent to which you wish to upgrade.

For example, an A/V amplifier/receiver that I would consider one step up from yours would be one capable of [Dolby Digital EX / Pro-LogicIIx] and [DTS ES / Neo:6 / 96/24], Which will basically give you a good 5.1/6.1 starting setup.

However, with the advent of BluRay (or HD-DVD if you went down that bumpy road), you may want to look into systems supporting Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TruHD, and DTS HD Master Audio. Purchasing an A/V system with these decoders will most likely prove more expensive, but it will provide you with the most advanced 7.1 digital system currently available to the consumer. Considering that most BluRay movies are still 5.1 at the moment, Your current receiver seems fine for now, however I'd try to buy one with HDMI1.3 with 1920x1080p60/24hz (and maybe 12bit DeepColor (36bit composite RGB) / xvYCC if possible) compatibility to yield superior images from your receiver (the ability to upscale other video sources to those specs may prove very useful as well). Personally, 5.1 is fine for me as long as I can get 24bit/96khz resolution (which is also a bit rare, though not as much as 6.1 and 7.1 native sources).

To answer your question directly, If you currently have no viable speakers for a (5.1) surround setup, of course get those first. If you have decent ones, and are looking for better ones in the future, get the receiver first and use the older speakers until you feel the need to get better ones. Hope some of this helps.

Enigmatism415

Auditioning
Real Name
Drew

For example, an A/V amplifier/receiver that I would consider one step up from yours would be one capable of [Dolby Digital EX / Pro-LogicIIx] and [DTS ES / Neo:6 / 96/24], Which will basically give you a good 5.1/6.1 starting setup.

However, with the advent of BluRay (or HD-DVD if you went down that bumpy road), you may want to look into systems supporting Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TruHD, and DTS HD Master Audio. Purchasing an A/V system with these decoders will most likely prove more expensive, but it will provide you with the most advanced 7.1 digital system currently available to the consumer. Considering that most BluRay movies are still 5.1 at the moment, Your current receiver seems fine for now, however I'd try to buy one with HDMI1.3 with 1920x1080p60/24hz (and maybe 12bit DeepColor (36bit composite RGB) / xvYCC if possible) compatibility to yield superior images from your receiver (the ability to upscale other video sources to those specs may prove very useful as well). Personally, 5.1 is fine for me as long as I can get 24bit/96khz resolution (which is also a bit rare, though not as much as 6.1 and 7.1 native sources).

To answer your question directly, If you currently have no viable speakers for a (5.1) surround setup, of course get those first. If you have decent ones, and are looking for better ones in the future, get the receiver first and use the older speakers until you feel the need to get better ones. I'd recommend specific systems but there are truly dozens of them at great deals, too many to name. Hope some of this helps.

Enigmatism415

Auditioning
Real Name
Drew

To answer your question directly, If you currently have no viable speakers for a (5.1) surround setup, of course get those first. If you have decent ones, and are looking for better ones in the future, get the receiver first and use the older speakers until you feel the need to get better ones. I would recommend specific systems, but there are far too many to name. Hope some of this helps.

Enigmatism415

Auditioning
Real Name
Drew

To answer your question directly, If you currently have no viable speakers for a (5.1) surround setup, of course get those first. If you have decent ones, and are looking for better ones in the future, get the receiver first and use the older speakers until you feel the need to get better ones. I would recommend specific systems, but there are far too many to name. Hope some of this helps.

Enigmatism415

Auditioning
Real Name
Drew
^ Sorry for the quad-post, I just discovered that this morning. Either the server or my internet was lagging last night, and I thought I had only posted once, and now I cannot delete them :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikezerby
Recent bookmarks