What's new

Upgrade receiver just for component switching? (1 Viewer)

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
I have read the thread at the top of the page regarding component video switchers and I am not sure what to do. Currently I have a Sony STR-DA30ES receiver. It has been a great work horse for me for the past 4 years and I have no complaints. It has 80watts x5, DD and DTS. I am pleased with it except for the fact that it does not have any component video switching. My 47" Panasonic has 2 component inputs, but I currently running 3 component devices (DVD, HD Cable box, Xbox). Switching out cables is quickly becoming a hassle and I now know that I will need to do something.

I can go for the Audio Authority Component switcher for $200 and be done with it. Or I upgrade my receiver to a newer Sony 4ES model for around $650. I figure I can sell my 30ES for around $100 on ebay (hopefully more), meaning it will cost me an additional $350 then if I just upgraded by getting the AA. For the additional $350 I would get Prologic 2, more watts (questionable if needed), and some more stuff. I really won't be able to take advantage of the center surround speaker as my setup is very confining.

The other issue this brings up is that I will now be at my max of component video inputs. If I add an HDTV tuner for my locals (trying to wait for my cable company to finally add them, but I can't wait forever) or some other device then I will still need yet another device for switching.

Does anyone have any suggestions as I am really unsure of what to do, and this switching is killing me!

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Yeah but what if you want to add another HD source in a few months? Id go with audio authority, from your post it dosent seem like you really feel a need to upgrade your receiver so I would not do it just for component video switchign, of course if you want to do both :)

Oh yeah and aparently the audio authority is a better switcher than most receivers will ever be.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I have read the thread at the top of the page regarding component video switchers and I am not sure what to do.
Short Answer: buy one of the switch box's.

I created the post and stuck it at the top because MANY people are in the same situation as you:

- Already own a great receiver, but without any/enough HD component video switching

- Not enough component inputs on the TV

And you have to spend about $2,600 on a new receiver to get 3 HD capable video inputs and $3,000 for 4 inputs.

$180 for a 4-input switch box vs $2,600 for a 3-input capable receiver. Do the math and the answer is clear.

You are suffering from "UpgradeItis" and it's clouding your judgment. (slap, slap) Feel better? :)

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
(slap, slap) Feel better?
Thank you, I needed that.

I agree with what you said. In fact, as I was typing my email I pretty much sold myself on the need to get a switching box rather then a new reciever. I figure that while my existing receiver isn't the greatest, it is good enough for what I need, and I can upgrade later when I really 'need' it.

The Audio Authority is pretty impressive, and it will definately allow me to get a couple more years out of my receiver, so I guess that is money well spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks