What's new

upgrade just 2 speakers, or the whole set? (1 Viewer)

steveKlein

Agent
Hey guys. I'm looking to upgrade my rig (from Kenwood HTiB).

I'm looking in the general price range of maybe $500-$700 for a rear pair, a front pair, and a center channel.

What do you guys think my best bet is? I'm far from an audiphile and will not be using these primarily for watching movies and tv, as well as some videogame playing, and some radio listening.

I've heard good things about Paradigm and Infinity but was wondering what else is out there in my price range. Space is an issue (room is about 16x11) so no floor standing towers please! I have also heard good things about the X-LS system form av123.com and products from polk.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ

Well what da hell ya gonna use 'em for then???? :D

Okay, seriously, my vote is for two pairs of Paradigm Atoms, a matching cc-170, and a Dayton 12" powered sub from Parts Express. That will put you right around $700, give or take.

steveKlein

Agent

whoops! i'm all thumbs lol.

thanks for the advice. i'm a little overwhelmed by the VAST selection in this price range... and it seems like nobody has anything bad to say about any of these (Infinity Betas, Polks, Paradigms, Onix X-LS, Athenas, and it seems as if the list goes on and on).

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ

You got it....there are a lot of solid choices at your price range. I recommend the Atoms (or you could go with Titans) because I'm very familiar with them and I loved the hell out of 'em. I could not have asked for more for my $179. I'm sure others will chime in with their suggestions, and the search feature might help you with even more ideas. But you definitely can't go wrong with the Paradigm stuff. It will be a very nice improvement over your HTiB speakers.

Good luck!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I always hated the Atoms... Go Titans :D :P

One issue you may have is, if you are still using the HTiB receiver, it may not be enough to power a decent set of speakers...

I'd recommend replacing the front 3, adding a decent sub and save to upgrade the surrounds down the road. This would be the best use of your funds IMO.

I believe the X-LS are still sold out for a while, though that would be a very good choice. SVS also offers a pretty solid, low cost line of bookshelf speakers that should do well for you.

I'll throw in a vote for the Mordaunt Short MS-902s also. They are on sale with free shipping right now at www.ac4l.com and they are easily better than Atoms or Titans or Mini Monitors.

steveKlein

Agent

I'm spending $350-$500 on a new receiver first and foremost. i need component video switching more than anything else, so that's a no brainer. now i just need to decide what i'm going to do with the speakers.

I guess my budget may go up... I may spend 200-250 a pair if that means i get better sound. at 200-250 a pair, plus another 150-200 for a sub and 150-200 for a center channel... do you think i can do any better than the infinity beta 20's?? i'm having a really tough time deciding how to approach this. oh... and as far as the x-ls being sold out until the end of july... that's fine. i don't really need this setup for another 6-9 months.

the more i look at the xl-s, the more i like it. $700 is more than i originally wanted to spend, but if the speakers truly are better than those that i would spend $400-$500 on, then i'd be okay with it. also, i like how those white maple speakers look.

any others have a "less black" look in the 500-700 dollar price range (for 2 pairs, a woofer, and a center) have a nice light-wood look?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks