What's new

"Upgrade" from Panasonic SA-HE100K to Onkyo TX-DS777? (1 Viewer)

JohnGoggan

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all. Looking for a little advice here... I currently have a Panasonic SA-HE100K receiver connected to the Acoustic Research HC-6 5.1 speaker setup. I'm pretty happy with it, but ran across a deal on a used Onkyo TX-DS777 from a friend for around $300.

My question is: would you recommend making this switch? Will I get more out of the Onkyo setup than my Panasonic? Even with the AR HC-6 speakers? Is the "THX Select" feature significant and worth a change?

The Onkyo is an older receiver, of course, but seems to be of significantly more quality (or, at least, it was in its day). I'll lose the ability to switch component inputs since the Onkyo doesn't have them, but I can live with that, I think...

Thanks for any advice on this.

- John...

JohnGoggan

Stunt Coordinator
No one with opinions on this? I figured Onkyo fans and haters would be all over this with advice. At least, I was hoping so... :)

- John...

Kernel X

Grip
Hello John. The Onkyo TX DS777 was a great receiver back in the day. I have an Integra DTR 7 which is the same thing but with a few extra features and gold plated ins and outs. It puts out pretty good power, even in the 5-channel mode. There is actually a review of the receiver in an old issue of Sound and Vision, you can probably find it on-line in the "archives"
section of the website. Good Luck...Kernel

JohnGoggan

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info! Would you say it was worth "upgrading" from the (newer) Panasonic though? I guess I'm curious if any potential "sound quality" improvements would be worth losing a bit of functionality (the component switching, for example) of the newer Panasonic.

I'm also curious if "THX Select" is worth the label...

Thanks again!

- John...

Kernel X

Grip
Maybe your friend will let you experiment with the receiver so you can see it's features and hear how it sounds with your existing system. I know the receiver retailed for $999.00 Can. back in the day. So maybe you and your friend can come to a convenient agreement. Best of luck...Kernel

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
It really depends on how low your sats go since THX usually centers their x-over around 80hz and may make the speakers sound thin. See if you can borrow it first to make a decision.

JohnGoggan

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately, he isn't local -- and shipping, of course, is a bunch. So try and return isn't really an option. I've decided to buy and see. If it doesn't work out, I can always EBay it. One went recently on EBay for around $375 or so and I'm paying around $300 -- so, worst case, I should be able to break even and just stick with my Panasonic.

As for the AR HC-6 speakers that I have, according to the specs: "The frequency response for these little guys is 80Hz – 20kHz +/-3 dB, with a sensitivity of 88 dB, and their recommended power handling capability is 20 – 100 watts at eight ohms." Any idea how that will affect THX Select? Work well or thin sounding? Or can't I tell from that? (Of course, I'll listen and see -- but I'm curious if anyone can tell me what to expect based on that also.)

Thanks!

- John...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks