What's new

Upgrade from InFocus LP-530? (1 Viewer)

Andrew L

Auditioning
I have been using an InFocus LP-530 projector fitted with the InFocus "enhanced connectivity module" for 5 or 6 years now to watch DVD's and HDTV on a large (11' wide x 7' high) screen. I've gotten good results and have been generally pleased with this home theater set-up. The enhanced connectivity module has stopped functioning. I removed the module and connected a source directly to the projector and that works fine, so I'm faced with what to do now. Any and all advice would be appreciated. I can't find anyone who will repair the module. I have found used modules for sale on eBay, but am reluctant to buy a used one. I don't want to spend money on a new projector, but I would like to know -- realistically -- what would a new projector give me that my older projector does not? And if I should trash the LP-530, what moderately-priced projectors do you all recommend? Thank you in advance!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
According to Projectorcentral.com that unit came out in July 2001, more than 5 years ago. It has a very low 400:1 contrast ratio, and is very outdated. It is a native 4:3 projector. Is that what you want if you buy a new one? Today's DLP projectors would give you much better contrast and black levels, more inputs(including digital). What do you mean by "moderately priced?".

Andrew L

Auditioning
Jim, thanks. The LP-530 is all that I have known. I've never seen nor experienced another home theater projector. I have been satisfied with what I've had, but I have nothing to compare it to. Yes, I've owned the unit for more than 5 years. Native 4:3? I'm not quite sure what that means. I set the unit for enhanced wide screen, and I believe that I'm getting a 16:9 image with no distortion. So today's projectors yield far greater contrast and deeper blacks, is that the current thinking? And this is significant enough that I would be able to see the difference, yes? I suppose "moderately-priced" means, "why should I spend a dime if I have a working projector"! Alright, I'll bite -- what is a good projector these days? Is InFocus still a market leader, or do you recommend some other? Thank you for your help.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
What is the "enhanced connectivity module" and what is it for? Do you hook up all your components to it? Do you have an A/V receiver you can use as a switcher instead of the module? You will definitely see the improvement in image quality with the new projectors. Infocus is very popular, along with Optoma for DLP projectors. Panasonic and Sanyo for LCD's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks