What's new

Updated pics! (1 Viewer)

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Very Nice! I really like the wall color too! Is your center channel angled down toward your primary seating area?

David Riv

Auditioning
I like it, you have the making of a nice looking set up. But if you'll allow me to make a suggestion. The rack you have is very nice, I'd try and bring attention to it. The "Hamm's" sign you have though, brings attention straight to the wood bookshelf, which looks a bit out of place. I understand that space limitations might be the reason for keeping it there. So, why not bring attention to the rack by placing the "Hamm's" sign on it and perhaps swaping it's place with the speaker. This will draw the eye further away from the bookshelf. This is just my view. Let me know if you try it.

Dave!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Actually I think I'm going to ditch that DVD rack. It's out of place in the room for other reasons as well.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
How much of a difference in sound quality to you have since going to separates? Does your new outlaw sound better than you preious receiver? I'm very curious about going the separates route. It's just so damn expensive. I feel I have to get a FP before I do anything else.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
How much of a difference in sound quality to you have since going to separates? Does your new outlaw sound better than you preious receiver?
My separates system sounds about the same as my old 5.1 ready receiver with external decoders. And replacing my preamp from the Sherwood Newcastle AV-P9080 to the Outlaw 950 didn't really make a noticable difference for 5.1. They sound about the same.

Except that DPL2 sounds a hell of a lot better for DPL material - which was a HUGE upgrade for me!

When I went from a "receiver" to separates, my "receiver" was a conglomeration of external decoders and an old but excellent 5.1 ready receiver. I was sick of the complicated setup and wanted more convenience. I went with separates because Sherwood Newcastle was blowing out their old inventory on Ubid and I got 5.1 separates brand new with warrantee for less than $800 after shipping. I sold the old receiver and decoders for over $500. For my $300 I got a hell of a lot more ease of use.

The only reason I have the Outlaw is that the Sherwood was making a noise which I am now convinced was because of my new fridge. I tried to reset it, did the procedure incorrectly, and killed it. The Outlaw was the cheapest option that would fit my system. The person to whom I sold the old Sherwood "as is" (at a ridiculously low price), simply replaced a couple fuses and it was good as new. (I'm still not convinced that I could have fixed the interference problem with the fridge).

Anyway, to make a long story short, I don't really notice a difference in sound between the separates and my old Onkyo 919 with good external decoders. But I never did a "head-to-head" and I didn't get into separates looking for "better sound". My separates are entry level and the Onkyo Integra 919 is agruably one of the best sounding flagship receivers ever built

I will tell you this. Though I can't tell you that I notice much of a difference, the separates definitely do not sound worse. At worst they are equivalent. They look damn cool as well. And they make my "upgrade path" for the future very flexible.

Rich Stone

Stunt Coordinator
Philip,

I'm dying to know how you "reset" your Sherwood - you had the AVP-9080R? Correct? What was the problem?

Mine's still running fine except for an occasional problem where it seems to reset itself, sometimes I get garbled text and no function (this happened over one evening - left it unplugged for a few hours and it was as good as new). Anyway, just curious.

BTW great setup!

Rich

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Rich,

I think my experience is on the forum, do a search under my name with "9080" and you'll find it. TO do a reset you're supposed to hold the reset button in for a couple seconds. I held it too long. If you hold it too long you blow fuses.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks