What's new

Update me on FPTV (1 Viewer)

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Hi!!
It's been awhile since I have done any readings,research on FPTV or anything in HT for that matter.
Kinda feel that maybe my stuff is even obsolete at this point.
Anyways,,I am interested again, in possibley investing in a FPTV set-up. I am not up to par on the latest technologies, so I am not sure which route to take in the FPTV market.. Anything new since last year?
Any unit or model that is a good investment..good reveiws etc..
Update me!!
Thanks for any info!

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi Trev!

I spent some time with Dwin and absolutely love their new DLP unit. I am planning on buying this one. It retails for $10500 US and comes with scaler.

regards

Gregg

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Thanks Gregg!

I just had a demo today of the Sharp Vision XVZ10000 combined with a Perfect Vu screen. To say the least I was very impressed.
Also demo'd a Sony as well, but it was no where near the quality of the Sharp.

Still researching the technical specifications.

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
The Sharp retails for $15,000 CDN approx $9,700 U.S.funds.

I wonder how it compares to the Dwin that Gregg tested?

Paul W

Second Unit
Has anyone seen the new toshiba TDP-MT8? Looks good on paper, but$10,000 (minus a penny)?:eek:
However, I'm definitely curious how the faroudja scaler comapres to the one in the Sharp projector (unless of course that one is a faroudja as well (OEM?))

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
The best looking solid-state projector that I know of is one I saw at CES. I know it was a Vidikron but I dont know the model number. It looked fantastic! I didnt see a single articfact, it looked incredibly film-like. The Vidikron website is no longer availible. If anyone knows anything about this projector, Id like to hear about it.

Sean M

Stunt Coordinator
Trevor, Sharp uses its own deinterlacing and scaling algorithms. I would bet that the Faroudja deinterlacing and scaling the the Infocus 7200/Toshiba MT8 are superior, if only slightly. Quite frankly, any of the HD2 projectors will put up an extremely impressive picture with differences in screen surface, room setup (color of walls and ceilings, etc.) and projector setup accounting for a large portion of the differences.

You can pick just about any of the HD2's and not be disappointed. There's the Marantz VP12S2, the Infocus 7200/Toshiba MT-8, Seleco SIM2 HT-300+, Sharp XV-Z10000, Yamaha DPX-1000, Runco CL710, Dwin TV3, and a few others that I'm sure I forgot to mention. Lots of competition. But each of those projectors has unique qualities that may endear you. You may want to consider a Stewart Firehawk to go with the projector depending on which one you pick and how you feel about the black levels.

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with others. Anything HD2 DLP based will most likely throw a good picture. Try to demo a Marantz S2 if you can. The black levels are very impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks