What's new

Upcoming titles on SACD/DVD-A (1 Viewer)

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
anyone know if/when (more) titles by these artists are being released on either format?

Radiohead

Dave Matthews Band

Blink 182

Collective Soul

Led Zeppelin (II is already out)

Foo Fighters

any rap or ska?

Aerosmith (their new one is on SACD i think)

Green Day

Guns n' Roses

Live

Metallica (the Black Album is on DVD-A)

Nirvana

Pearl Jam

Rage Against the Machine

Red Hot Chili Peppers

R.E.M.

Smashing Pumpkins

Soundgarden

Tool

U2

thanks for any info!!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Right on, Ric. I thought that immediately.

Thomas,

Your guess is as good as mine. I don't pay much attention anymore to upcoming release lists for either format, especially when release dates aren't given. There have been too many cancellations and delays to put much stock in these lists. I take a "when I see it, I'll believe it" approach.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Other than Aerosmith's latest, and the on-again, off-again "Rocks" disc, I don't think any of the bands mentioned will have any material released on SACD anytime soon.

These bands (except for old Aerosmith and all Zeppelin titles) have titles that were recorded in PCM. SACD isn't going to offer much improvement for material whose source is lacking/compressed to begin with.

HankM

Second Unit
Marc,

Your right. I believe you would see these on DVD-A before SACD. I have both formats, DVD-A has more rock/pop titles vs. SACD

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Marc said:
These bands (except for old Aerosmith and all Zeppelin titles) have titles that were recorded in PCM. SACD isn't going to offer much improvement for material whose source is lacking/compressed to begin with.
Then, should we expect 24/96 or 24/192 DVD-Audio to offer much of an improvement? I would guess not. ;) I will say that SACDs derived from PCM sources do not sound as, dare I say, "analog" as do SACDs from analog or DSD masters, but they still do beat the corresponding CDs in my opinion.

RicP

Screenwriter
I have both formats, DVD-A has more rock/pop titles vs. SACD
Not exactly. Perhaps if you are talking merely in "percentage" terms, because SACD has over 5x the number of titles out that DVD-A does. But in terms of numbers...SACD has just as many -- if not more -- pop/rock titles from artists including:

Billy Joel

James Taylor

Journey

Boston

Michael Jackson

Cyndi Lauper

Mariah Carey

Gloria Estefan

Toto

Alice In Chains

Meatloaf

Roger Waters

Celine Dion

Sarah

Carole King

Footloose Soundtrack

Top Gun Soundtrack

etc etc etc.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Ric P,

I think the total number of titles out is around 600 I've read.

Thomas,

I bought the Aerosmith SACD of Just Push Play. It is the typical, horrible sounding pop recording these days. Over-produced, over-hyped, lacking substance.

Even on SACD, I suggest you keep your money in your wallet wher this is concerned. Maybe Aerosmith will release older, better albums...

Lee

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i said:
Led Zeppelin (II is already out)
geez i could've sworn that i saw something about Led Zeppelin II being prepped for release in one of these formats, but now that i look again, i can't find evidence of that anywhere! i swear i saw it somewhere and i'll keep you all updated if i find what i thought i saw. :)

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Maybe Aerosmith will release older, better albums...
i sincerely hope so! when i saw that Dodge ad with the Aerosmith semi racing it i immediately wrote down: "Note to self...dont buy Aerosmith CD!" pop music today is so lame! =

anyways, i hope record companies will eventually get their act together and start releasing good music in hi-res formats sometime very soon. until then, as Lee said, my $$ will stay in my wallet.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Thomas Berg or anyone else, Im very intersrted in Led Zeppelin and Alice in Chains if someone can tell me which format theyre in. I have DVD-A but not the other formats.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matthew, no Led Zeppelin albums have been released in either format. Alice in Chains Greatest Hits is available on SACD. It has both stereo and multi-channel tracks. Highly recommended.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
The Aerosmith SACD has been called the "worst sounding SACD so far" more than once.

If you want a good-sounding rock SACD, try the Stevie Ray Vaughan discs, or Dylan's Blonde on Blonde.

Ryan

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ryan, I too have heard that the Aerosmith SACD is the worst-sounding one out there. A few people on Audio Asylum have said that the SACD sounds worse than the CD. It could just be that the SACD, being higher-resolution than the CD, brings out all the flaws of the recording. As with high-end audio systems, high-resolution formats have the potential to bring out the bad as well as the good.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Keith and Ryan,

Amen. I have over 150 SACDs and this Aerosmith is absolute digital hell. I just put it on for pure amusement - my dog covered her ears with her paws!

The soundstage sounds like it was done on an "etch-a-sketch"!

Lee

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee, I am almost tempted to by the Just Push Play SACD just to hear how bad it is. :)

Michael_T

Second Unit
I have been saying for months (over on audioasylum) that the Aerosmith SACD is the ABSOLUTE worst SACD I have. The wonder of it all is why Sony would release this title in lieu of other titles which would make a much better SACD.

I can understand that this may have been planned since Aerosmith is one of Sony's bigger acts on the label, and the thought would be to release "new" product on SACD. That makes sense, as opposed to merely giving us re-releases of catalog albums. But if that is the case, Sony could have picked better albums to release from their "new" batch of product, such as Dylan's "Love and Theft".

I really wish this thing would play out better in the marketplace, because I really would like to see more "new" releases on SACD as opposed to only catalog product. But, who am I to complain, since the slow release rate of SACD product makes for long for anything to actually come out on SACD.

Another thing that ticks me off a bit, is that it sometimes appears, at least in the case of Miles Davis, that the Japanese market is getting more and better SACD releases (i.e. Filles de Kilimanjaro, ESP, Nefertiti, etc.). Why can't we have those in the US? WHY, SONY WHY? I am sure they would sell better than some of the stuff that Sony has been releasing domestically on SACD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks