What's new

"New" music on SACD coming soon?? (1 Viewer)

BrianEK

Stunt Coordinator
I'm mainly interested in new music since I am in my twenty's. I found artists including Foo Fighters, Barenaked Ladies, 3 doors down, Wyclef Jean, Usher, Outkast, Santana, and Staind are all releasing dvd-audio discs. It seems like the DVD-A format is pushing towards bringing more new music to the format. So I was wondering if anyone knew if SACD was going to do anything similar. anywhere I looked I did not find much information about upcoming SACD's. Only upcoming new music info on SACD I found was Ludacris' new cd and I know 3 doors down already has their new cd released in SACD. Just wanted to know if someone knew anything about good upcoming titles.

Darryl

Stunt Coordinator
I'm mainly interested in new music since I am in my twenty's.
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I just wanted to point out that a LOT of us in our 20s listen to classic material. A lot of my favorite music is from before I was born; about half of what I listen to today was first released before I turned 10. I know I'm not the only 20-something to listen to classic rock because it's usually another guy in his 20s who first introduces me to a particular group or album. I like albums that you can listen to as one cohesive piece of work, not an arbitrary collection of individual songs. Many albums from the late 60's through the mid 70's did this very well, in contrast to so many recent releases that are just a bunch of songs that happen to be on the same CD. There are some great albums being release today too, but 30 years ago album rock and prog rock were in their prime!

I just wanted to fight the stereotype that the hi-res formats aren't giving anything to us young guys. Pink Floyd isn't just for balding old farts! (I apologize in advance to any balding old fart I may have just offended)

You may now continue your regularly scheduled topic...

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Let's not forget either that some of us old farts listen to newer stuff too. I did order the Suitcase Pimps too and of course got my AARP discount.:D

Chris_Eff

Stunt Coordinator
Sony has some more modern artists such as J-lo (artist?) and Train but they are single layer SACD. However the new Beyonce is coming out soon as a MC hybrid.

Michael_T

Second Unit
(I apologize in advance to any balding old fart I may have just offended)
No offense taken!!!:D :D

If you consider a 45 year old with a 9 year old daughter (and yes my hair is thinning out more than I care to admit), then I am a balding old fart. ;) (Even at 45 I still feel as if I am 18 years old - I don't dress like your typical 45 year old, nor do I act like one. :b )

That said, I probably listen to more "New" music than most 20 year olds. I have all the Outkast albums (I have been listening to the new double CD in the car for over 2 weeks now), I love all the bands you mention and I do have the 3 Doors Down on SACD and DVD-A, Staind on DVD-A, Disturbed on DVD-A, etc. etc. etc.

I also like the "old" stuff also.. and my CD/SACD/DVD-A/LP collection is probably bigger than those at most stores.

Again, no offense taken at all (I mean it)... as I find myself when in a group of strangers where there may be both young and old people - I have an easier time relating to what the younger people have to say than what the people my own age have to say. :D

I guess you can say I am an "old balding KID"!

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I would like to see some more new music on SACD as well. John Mayer's new album is supposed to eventually come out as a Hybrid Sony SACD, which is a step in the right direction.

I think this is an issue of demographics as much as anything else. Though older people can buy "new" music, most of the people who own SACD players and are aware of the SACD capabilities are older in age (30+). Most of my close friends are in their 20's and not one has a clue about SACD. Talking to teenagers, they have absolutly no clue about SACD, nor the funds and equipment to set up a proper stereo (especially a multi-channel rig). Unless something changes drastically, "new music" on SACD is going to only trickle out slowly.

J

TommyH

Agent
That Suitcase Pimps Disc is the bomb. Finally some new music that appeals to both the classic rock fans and the new rock kids. These guys are the new "pink floyd". If you don't have it, get it, if you got it, rock on!

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
The Suitcase Pimps are the new Pink Floyd? I thought Dredg was the new Pink Floyd! Or is it Radiohead?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Tommy, it's more like they're the new Kinks. The title track, LOVE IS GRAND and I think, the next to last track...that starts out with the echoey vocals are both so Kinky. Pink Floyd would be about the last group on earth that I would compare the Pimps to. I would say they seem rathered influenced by British, non-Floyd, 70's-80's rock in general. I like their kinky music myself, but they're definitely reduced, low-Floyd tunes. :)

TommyH

Agent
If you listen to the outro solo on "Save me" you will hear the David Gilmour influence there is one note he hits that is identical to the solo on Comfortably numb. Vocally I agree with you that they do sound like the Kinks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks