What's new

Unsuccessful trade! Please help! (1 Viewer)

Bruce_S

Second Unit
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum since it's have to deal with trading. I'll try this first.

**PLEASE HELP ME!** IGN Deal gone bad.. Maybe, someone have been in this situation and able to assist me.

Sheep0101 and I had a trade back in 1/21. "The Getaway" and "Virtual Fighter 4" for his "DDR Max' and "MK"Deadly Alliance" for the PS2. I shipped it out on 1/22, he claims it hasn't arrived there yet. And I haven't gotten mine either.

He offered me to compensate me 1/4 of the value of the deal. I really don't care about the money. I think, I'm getting burn my this member. I was curious, if anyone else have deal with him. His email address is: [email protected] and he lives in Canada.

Other thing, I've done some trades with someone from Canada and it's been successful. How would this be any different?

Any help is appreciated!

Bruce

Tommy_Garris

Stunt Coordinator
I've gotten burned before by a guy named JUSTIN MASCIO aka jmascio. The lesson here is to be more careful next time.

LuisDC

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting... I've had three trades in a row go bust off this forum with Canadian traders.

Bruce, email me the addy to this trader please...

LuisDC

Stunt Coordinator
Don't lump us all together OK.
I made no such comment... I said my last three trades from this forum have been a bust. Personally I think the majority of cross-border trade problems have arisen due to to the ridiculously stringent customs our Canadian neighbors have. That and the Canadian postal service treats DVD packages like wheel chocks. Currently I have a situation where I sent a trader a MO as compensation money for the Canadian postal service handling a package very poorly and damagin it in transit. And now that I have sent the MO (which I shouldn't even have had to send to the trader because its a Canadian problem) the trader hasen't received it in over three weeks. This is a ridiculous situation.

And after having had over 250 successful trades with US traders with only two small problems, the 2 out of 9 good trades I've had with Canadian traders is NOT what I would call an acceptable average.

Jim Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
I will agree that Canada Post leaves alot to be desired. I have a feeling that it has to do with heightened security between the borders as well as the reasons you have stated.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Yes, please don't let this experience sour your trading with other Canadians. ;)

Canada Post does seem a touch on the slow side but it does eventually reach its destination.

Bruce_S

Second Unit
LuisDC,

I'll send you his address once I find it.

Recently, I completed a trade with someone in BC area. It took a little over a week for him to get his package. This being just over a month is way too long. It sucks that our US post office doesn't offer delivery confirmation for international shipping.

I was curious, if anyone have used other shipping companies like UPS or Fedex to ship to Canada?

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
If I'm shipping something to or from Canada, or any other foreign country for that matter, I always either use UPS or FedEx. Reason being is that the package is guaranteed to be there and intact on the date specified or your money back. The US mail is fine for shipments within the US, but get outside of it and it's beyond their control. In my experience, foreign countries suck at handling US mail.

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
I got burnt when an american shipped UPS to me. I got a customs brokerage invoice for like 60bucks for a $40US football. what the heck?
And it still took the football like 3 weeks to get here!

The worst part about shipping to canada doesn't fall on your end boys and girls, it falls on us. We have to pay massive customs fees and the seller almost always overstates the value of the package so I end up paying massive amounts of tax on a cheap item. It's getting quite ridiculous, if I'm ordering an item from the states I just assume it'll be twice the face value after conversion (and the canadian dollar has been doing better lately).

Sorry, that your transactoin went poorly Bruce, hopefully you get it resolved promptlu

Michael Varacin

Stunt Coordinator
When shipping an item to another country, I always found it easiest to claim the item as "samples, no value." That ends any customs problems.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I always found it easiest to claim the item as "samples, no value." That ends any customs problems.
Not necessarily, in fact it can delay your shipment even more. Customs has every right to reevaluate the value of an item entering the country, and if it is falsely declared they can end up holding it longer. Even if it is fairly declared, they can decide otherwise.

UPS is notorious for their brokerage and handling fees, which can often equal the value of the shipment. I would only use them for high dollar value items that need clearing quickly, otherwise registered mail is the way to go, since it is insured and trackable.

Bruce_S

Second Unit
The place I shipped to was in Montreal-Nord, Quebec H1H 3G7.

Should I give it more time? I gave it a month already...

thanks

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I regularly receive shipments across the border, and shipping times are fairly unpredictable. While it is a bit long, a month isn't out of the question, depending on how it was shipped. I would give it another week or so before getting too worried.

If the package was undeliverable for some reason, it could also be on route back to you, which will also take longer.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Bruce,

Here are my golden rules for trading/buying/eBaying merchandise that helps me from getting burned:

* Get a tracking number affixed to any package you send. Even USPS offers this service, it is worth another $1 to get it. You can go on the web and see exactly where the package is at all times and if they got it or not.

* Never ship to a PO Box, always a street address with a name on top. At least you know where they used to live if they turn out to be a deadbeat.

* If cash is exchanging hands, always take time to let the check clear unless you trust the person. Most folks on HTF I trust, but eBay is a different story.

For Canada shipments, I have had some trouble as well. I would wait 6-8 weeks before even worrying about it, it is really that slow. If this guy says he hasn't gotten anything either, it's probably the truth as that 6-8 weeks works both ways. Real pain in the @$$, I know...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks