What's new

Unreleased Cash song on "Kill Bill v2" soundtrack... first from his final sessions? (1 Viewer)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
The soundtrack to "Kill Bill vol. II" was released today. It contained an unreleased Johnny Cash track. The press release said nothing about the song's origins and both major official Cash websites (johnnycash.com and johnnycashmusic.com) weren't any more helpful so I just assumed it was an old, obscure song that had surfaced. Cash recorded thousands of songs during his career and I figured it was probably just some wierd Cash song that Tarantino had selected for his soundtrack after hearing it on a bootleg or something. Well, I got the CD today and when I realized it was obviously a more recent recording I looked at the liner notes. It was produced by Rick Rubin and was licensed by American Recordings and Universal Music Group. It's not present on any of the four "American" albums nor is it present on any of the discs in "Unearthed", which was comprised of outtakes from those four albums. On top of all of that, it has a copyright date of 2003. "American IV" was released in late 2002, and Cash's final recording sessions with Rubin occured in the months prior to his death in 2003. So my question is this: has a song of this historical importance been unceremoniously buried on a soundtrack? One would think that the first-ever song to be released from his final sessions would be a major news item. Anyways, if I'm right and it came from those sessions, I imagine it would also wind up on the rumored "American V" box set. A couple tracks from "Unearthed" had been previously released, a few were on the vinyl version of "American IV" and "Wichita Lineman" was also on a Lost Highway comp.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
I picked up this soundtrack today and the Johnny Cash song is great along with the rest of the soundtrack.

I am not an authority on Johnny Cash but I do repect his work a great deal. I'm looking forard to seeing at what point they incorporate this song into Kill Bill 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks