What's new

Universal- why issue the "Pufnstuf" movie only on VHS?? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
OK, I've been venting about this for a while now, I think I can finally put it down in civilized words- I've been waiting a long time for any video release of the 1970 "Pufnstuf" movie, a feature-length version of the TV show. Recently Universal finally put it out, but ONLY on VHS- this upset me more than "Phantom Menace" being only on VHS! I would have bought it on laserdisc a long time ago had it ever been available, with that format out of the picture now is it too much to ask for a DVD release? I won't buy the VHS since it's been 'formatted to fit my screen'.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if Rhino will be getting the rights to this. Recently, RhinoHandmade has come out with the complete Liddsville and Buggaloos on video. I know they have releases a bunch of other Kroft stuff on VHS and it is just a matter of time that they put it all on DVD.
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Rhino put out this one spring of last year, which I've picked up and enjoyed with my son (currently age 3; at first he though H.R. was a non-purple Barney, if you can believe!):
6305811687.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

I don't know if it's the same thing as this "movie" you're referring to (this is definately 4 individual episodes with no real theme to them), but it's worth grabbing just to enterain the little ones...and to relive one's own youth. :)
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I have the Rhino TV show disc; the movie featuring the same characters was released by Universal and was never issued on home video until last year. Universal still has the rights to the movie, Rhino only has the rights to the Krofft TV shows (which is also why the Brady Bunch Variety Hour is on DVD while the original Brady Bunch shows aren't.)
Universal seems to be marketing this as a 'kids' movie' though it probably has more appeal to the cult audience, but either way this needs to be on DVD (and not 'formatted to fit your screen'!) I have the movie's soundtrack album on 8-track tape which I listen to a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks