What's new

Universal Remote (1 Viewer)

rodney wiley

Second Unit
I want to replace all 4 remotes with one unit that can easily control all my units. I would really like a Pronto but don't have a pc at home to program the unit. I now have a Sony touch-screen unit rm-2000? that just doesn't cut it. Its just too big for me, and It doesn't do exactly what I want. Can someone recommend a unit similar to a pronto or is that the way to go? If so Is it difficult to program it too control a dvd-rp56, avr-3802 and a old Hitachi tv and vcr.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
have you checked out www.remotecentral.com? very useful site for remotes.
i bought a mx-500 and totally love it. it's relatively inexpensive (compared to a pronto) and replaced eight of my remotes with no problems at all.
one thing to consider is the hard vs. soft button issue. you'll need to decide if you like/prefer one over the other.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
It's worth repeating again that for long term remote "happiness", you should try to determine if you need/want a touchscreen or if a hard button based unit would do the trick. (In my own case, I want the buttons so that I don't have to look at the remote very often. IMO, nothing is more distracting than having to constantly look at the remote if I want to do anything besides change the volume or channels.)
I'm not qualified to give advice on touchscreens since I don't care very much for them.
Hard button-wise, I would also recommend the Home Theater Master MX-500. It is really slick. It's fairly easy to setup (but still takes a little time) and I find it very ergonomic/user friendly.
I agree that bluedo.com is a good place to buy the MX-500. (Both for price and the fact that they automatically give an extended warranty.) You do not have to buy the "package" if you don't want to. The 500 is available by itself. http://www.bluedo.com/bluedocgi/prod...i?model=MX-500
Good luck with your search!

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Those of you with the MX-500, how easy is it to change volme on receiver seperately from the tv volume. I use both and don't want to be swithing back and forth a lot. Also, is it able to be programmed to each and every button on all your other remotes such as info, guide, fav ch, on my sat remote to my front, rear, center channel level controls on my receiver? How easy is it to use/manage?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Also, is it able to be programmed to each and every button on all your other remotes such as info, guide, fav ch, on my sat remote to my front, rear, center channel level controls on my receiver?
again, no problem at all. one of the main benefits of the mx-500 is that you have up to 20 buttons for each component that can be labeled to whatever you want. so, you can assign any button on your old remote to any newly named button on the mx-500.
it's a very easy remote to use and manage. as i previously stated, it replaced eight of my old remotes: tv, receiver, md, dvd, cd, cable-box, etc. i was able to program every function that i needed or wanted onto the mx-500
this is the only universal remote i've ever dealt with, but i certainly think it's an excellent one.
also, you may want to check out the forums on remotecentral.com - people there post some good questions etc.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
What Ted said...

The MX500 is very easy to program and use. Controlling TV and receiver volume separately would be very easy to set up. You could use the main volume buttons for one and program 2 of the 20 custom buttons to control volume up and volume down for the other device.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Can you customize each pre-labeled button? For example, my DVD player has many different fast forward and rewind speeds. On the original remote (sony) there is a FF1, FF2, and X2 (twice speed or regular play), will I be able to choose which one I want to apply to the >> button on the remote while in DVD mode?

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Yes, you can program each pre-labeled button in any way you want, for any device you want. I think that you may not be able to change POWER, but I'm not sure.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
ahh...i think i missed your question. chris is right - you can program any button (regardless of how it's labeled) to any function you want.
just think of it this way. any button on that remote can do whatever you want it to.
i think you can do the power, but you'll need the discrete codes to get it to work correctly, plus you'll have to decide in advance what components to turn on.
i use the three macro buttons at the bottom as my power on/off commands.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Can it cook me dinner too?

Looks like I'll have to pick up this remote, it sounds like the best thing since sliced bread.
Thanks guys!

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
If your stove is remote controlled, the MX-500 could do it! ;) I even have mine programmed to run a remote controlled room ventilation fan...

Umair

Auditioning
Has anyone used the Mx-500 with a Pioneer Elite Pro-99 TV?
Mine was just broken today and now I need to buy another remote, however the learning function will be pointless since my original doesn't work. I don't want to buy the original for 100+ if I can get a cool remote like the MX-500. I was just wondering though if I can get all of my original functions on it (menu, pip, etc)without using the learn function. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Umair: I do not have any experience with a Pioneer TV, but I can't imagine that the MX-500 won't do the trick for you.

On the outside chance that there is a code or 2 that you would need that the 500 doesn't have, then you could use one of the One For All units mentioned above to "create" the code and then teach it to the MX-500. I used this approach for a couple of the commands I use with my Denon receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks