What's new

Universal Remote Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Ken_VW

Grip
Hope this is the right area to post.
Just got the HT up and running & love it. Too many remotes though. The universal that came with my Receiver does not have code for my TV or VCR. It is compatible with my DVD though. So I've done a search here on remotes, checked out a couple of websites recommended here. I would like some input from real "users" as to their likes/dislikes. I see remotes for 100.00's of dollars. I'm thinking I could get one for the 50-60 range???

Most of this is new to me...hard vs soft buttons? LCD screens & Computer programmable.(is that how you program macros & is it the only way?)

TV is Toshiba 27"
HT system is Onkyo HTS-650
DVD Player is Panasonic DVD-CP67S
VCR is Memorex
Satellite is RCA Direct TV

Thanks,Ken

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
In the under $50 range, I'd go with either a Radio Shack 15-2116 or a URC-8011 or URC-8811, or even a URC-6012w from your local Walmart. Check out the One for All forum at www.remotecentral.com Right out of the box these remotes can control many common a/v components. With a cable you can build for $5.00 and some software you can download, you can do even more. Check out http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa and http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1

Ken_VW

Grip
thanks for the reply,
after much time spent reading reviews and customer reviews of various models, I believe I have decided on the Sony model RM-VL900. I believe it will not only meet my needs but be there for future needs as well. Now to shop for a bargain,...or maybe santa ;)
any comments on this model will be appreciated
Ken
PS. Ellen, the remote central website is awsome! thanks

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Ken: Bearing in mind your price range, all of Ellen's recommendations are excellent. The One For All remotes are THE best bang for your buck. (And yes, Daniel Tonks's website is AWESOME!)

But there isn't anything wrong with the Sony 900. I helped to set one up for a friend a year or so ago and it is a handy unit. It comes pre-loaded with a decent code library and can learn anything else you might need. Be aware that it isn't backlit, so using it in a dark room may take a little learning to get used to the key layout...

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
If you want to spend $104.99 ecost.com has the Sony 3000 for that and JandR will price match.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Ken - I've had my Sony RM-VL900 for over a year now and I love it.

The absence of backlighting can be an inconvenience - the buttons glow in the dark, but for all practical purposes they are not very easy to see and do not last long.

However, backlit remotes suck the life out of the batteries. I have not had to replace my batteries yet.

Like many things in life, it's a trade-off. Bottom line: I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks