What's new

Universal Does it Again w/ The Hulk (1 Viewer)

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator
Like most people I know here in town we all ran out to pick up The Hulk at our local retailer, being Wal-Mart or Zellers. Widescreen copies were bought, however, what was inside was not the widescreen edition, but the full screen edition.

When I went back to the store there was nothing they could do because apparently their whole shipment was tainted. Anyone else run across this?

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
Customers SMASH!!!

I would be so pissed. I go to a lot of trouble to get Widesceeen, and I am teaching my young son the benefits of OAR.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Fortunately, my discs were widescreen. Unfortunately, Universal HAS done it again. Forced trailers suck.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
My set was fine. That would be a pain, though, since we specifically look for widescreen and buy it for a reason. Imagine the common public, who doesn't really care and just accepts it.

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
Do you think this is a way to push foolscreen(4:3) on to people? It doesn't make sense to me. I have heard arguments that the make foolscreen(4:3) to make money, many people don't understand Widescreen and wouldn't buy it, but in this case people are buying WS. And doesn't it cost more money to produce a 4:3 version of a WS movie?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Do you think this is a way to push foolscreen(4:3) on to people? It doesn't make sense to me. I have heard arguments that the make foolscreen(4:3) to make money, many people don't understand Widescreen and wouldn't buy it, but in this case people are buying WS. And doesn't it cost more money to produce a 4:3 version of a WS movie?
I doubt, if this was done intentionally, I'm sure it is an illegal move so it is probably just a screw up, which Uinversal has been monumentally known for lately. As for Added costs of a Fullscreen version. I would say it depends. If it is an open matte film, it probably costs more to do a WS transfer as the telecine operator has to matte down the original negative (although I'm not entirely sure of the process), but this would be vice versa with a Anamorphic film in which a telecine operator has to do the reformatting for a 4X3. As fas as FS being done for the purposes of making money, yes because they will sell to J6P, however, WS DVD in about 9 out of 10 cases sell better than P&S.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I was at my local Wal-Mart last night. (No, not to buy DVD's....I don't buy 'em there.)

They had signs up at all their registers saying this:

Due to a manufacturing error, Widescreen Hulk DVD's contain the Fullscreen version of the film. We apologize for this inconvenience.
I then had a conversation with a fellow in line about how purchasing fullscreen is out-of-the-question. He totally agreed. :D Always nice to hear that.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Forced trailers = no sale.

Universal, are you listening? I sure hope your new regime does.

-Lyle J.P.

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
You know, it's sad, but I've gotten to a point where I purposely won't buy any Universal discs until a few months have gone by so I can make sure there aren't any widespread defects with their discs. After the BTTF snafu, this was a decision I had to make. Despite this self-imposed waiting period, I wound up having to exchange the Director's Edition of "Red Dragon" three times because the bonus disc was defective. Does Universal not have a quality control department or something? First the Jurassic Park films, then the BTTF box set, and now this? I wasn't going to buy "The Hulk" anyway (I didn't care for the film), but even if I was, I'd like to know that I was getting a defect-free disc!

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
The Hulk DVD that I purchased worked just fine. However, the Director's Edition of Red Dragon I bought did have the PAN-AND-SCAN version in it. I quickly returned it and exchanged it for a widescreen copy.

EricSunde

Stunt Coordinator
I bought mine at Wal-Mart on Tuesday, and it had the widescreen disc inside the widescreen box. I guess I must have been lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks