What's new

Unique / Cool / Modern Speakers - please help! (1 Viewer)

RandyL

Agent
I have $1000-3000 to spend, and want something that's:
a) small. The room isn't very big and don't want any 12"x12" monsters overpowering the space.
b) beautiful. Style is more important than quality in this case. I like the style of Bang & Olufson, Minipod, Gallo, etc.
Throw them at me! Thanks in advance.. I'm going crazy looking for unique speakers.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
How many speakers are you including in this price range?
------------------
"Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
blueroom minipods all the way
------------------
Chuck
http://www.hometheaterinsider.com

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Check out nOrhs. About as unique as they get. I call 'em bongo speakers. You'll see why. I personally don't like them and they're tough to place. Although there are tons of kudos for their sound. Do a search to confirm.
EDIT: Whoops, www.norh.com is the site.
[Edited last by Bob-N on September 14, 2001 at 05:57 PM]

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
Check out the Swans Diva line at AV123.com . I have a pair of 6.1's (Sweet!-but it sounds like you don't have room for these) and a pair of 2.1's for rears. Excellent sound from such a small enclosure-and they are gorgeous. The pics on the site don't do them justice....
Sean

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
I have to admit that those Swan Diva 6.1s look absolutely amazing. They look like a speaker which should be priced much much higher.
Aaron

KeithR

Second Unit
A forum member and I did some auditioning with Audio Physic speakers this week. Not often mentioned here, but more on AA. Absolutely stunning, small footprint, real wood finishes, and very high WAF.
www.immedia.com i believe is the importer. check out the Spark III or the Tempo. Both are highly reviewed by Stereophile and TAS.
Keith

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
A few speakers that sound as good as they look:
- Totem Arro or Staff in Rosewood or Cherry
- Mission 774 in Rosewood
- Mordaunt-Short MS-906 in Black
- Monitor Audio in Cherry
All are slim, modern towers.

Neil N

Stunt Coordinator
I'll add a vote for the norh 4.0 marble. I feel it's considerably better (sonically) than the wood, which I also have. I haven't heard the ceramic, but as far as looks go at least, I feel the marble is superior. I've had mine for almost a year and love them, and would definitely recommend them....esp. in a home theater set-up.

Jens Raethel

Second Unit
Real Name
Jens
Randy!
If you would like some real exotic speakers, check these handbuilt japanise speakers from Kimio Shibata!http://www.lcv.ne.jp/~woodwill/

DonnyD

Screenwriter
The Rolen Stars are some strange things too. I've monkeyed around with 4 of these lately and was astounded by their imaging..... and you don't even see them. If you use these, you can select some exotic artwork for your walls or floors and not have to worry about the speakers. Invisiblestereo.com.
------------------
"I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethru gleams that untraveled world whose margin fades forever and forever...."

YANG

Screenwriter
I trust the audio quality of speakers with my ears not my eyes.
Sometimes looks can be very deceiving.
RANDY,i suggest that you go and audition some speakers rather than to look at speakers.Make your investment worth your bucks.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Celestion (British?) makes some absolutely gorgeous speakers. In rosewood, if you wish.
You also pay for them. But they look - and, more importantly, sound! - wonderful!
Mike

RandyL

Agent
Don't flame me, but in this case looks are more important than sound. Eventually I'll build my dedicated HT with Maggies or something :) But for now this room is pretty small, (12x15) and must be HIP !
I'm totally torn now. I'm considering blueroom minipods, Piega S4's, Acoustic Reality's "S", ... and I'm definately still looking!
Thanks for all the great ideas so far!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks