What's new

Underworld: Evolution - Any Reviews? (1 Viewer)

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I haven't seen any reviews for this yet but its out Tuesday. No screeners??

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
After the experience with Underworld, Im holding off until the inevitable 2-disc directors' cut later in the year.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
I took the plunge and got the DVD knowing they'll probably do what you think, Simon.

Even still, I just like the Underworld series, flaws and all. But the video on this DVD is just outstanding. I just love the look of both films, especially this one.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I’ll be keeping a lookout for this on Region 2 DVD UK, when it’s realised this month, Underworld was a tour de force of pure six-track raw hard hitting Dolby Digital, with a lot of bite!

My expectations for this are high, but only for sound, it would be interesting to hear whether this one is on par with the first one.

The amount of low end in Underworld was huge, with peaks reaching as high as 120dbc weighting!

andySu

Senior HTF Member

David

Can you compare the sound mix, with a, SPL db meter, to see which one betters, as the first one was JBL just bloody loud!:D

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I was informed by my source that there was a backlog for widescreen screeners of this title. (They offered me a fullscreen disc, but you know what I told them!)

Not sure if a disc is on the way yet, but when it arrives, I'll post a review ASAP.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Considering Len Wiseman's officially been signed by 20th Century Fox to helm Die Hard 4.0, I'm now on the fence about its prospects. Though that AICN script review helps salve the pain slightly...here's hoping he doesn't screw the pooch.

(At least put a PVC-clad Kate into the flick somewhere, Len.)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I've just rented “Underworld 2” the film goes on general sale on June 19th 2006, there are no extras on this rental region 2 DVD UK, presented in scope 2.40:1 and with six-track Dolby Stereo Digital sound.

I’ll be viewing this very shortly, and checking the dynamics of the soundtrack with SPL db metre to see if it’s a powerful as the first one, or if they have cut back slightly on the dynamics as the first one was JBL just bloody loud, and with a fully 100% JBL and THX sound system I’d say I have high expectations for the Dolby film mix.

I’ll report back later on the status of both films to with an A&B evaluation.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm torn about this too. My girlfriend and I really liked this movie and I want to buy it. I have not heard of any upcoming extended edition, but man, you just know one's coming.

I wish I had definitive word, so that I could hold off in good conscience.

That's why I never got the people who complained when studios let us know ahead of time that a double dip was coming. I much prefer that to this guessing game.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
http://img.tesco.com/pi/entertainmen...326_DV_L_F.jpg

What can I say about “Underworld: Evolution” is that it was on par with the first a high octane of pure adrenalin rush none stop action with a white knuckle punch, and jaw dropping visual effects with more bite that sucks its predecessor dry!

I said I was going to do an A&B evaluation of the two, well after seeing or rather listening to the first one some 5 or 6 times, once projected in the cinema, but in the home cinema arena it left a more and everlasting impression on me!

Sound and visuals all come together with devastating impact with “Underworld 2 Evolution” starring Kate Beckinsale all dressed to kill in some tight black leather once again with Scott Speedman beside her as mutation of half Lycan and Vampire, battle against high odds, this is a not to be missed action adventure with stylistic visuals that are accompanied with a terrific six-track Dolby Stereo Digital soundtrack with quaking and riveting effect and a mirage of weaponry firepower!

The soundtrack was more felt than heard, the customary sound effects and Foley design was top notch, body punches and score by "Marco Beltrami" this marks the fifth time now that I have heard some of his works, and this one was a clash of low end that was noticeable throughout the films running time, with a few shrilly highs to breakthrough the blaze loud sound effects, and keep the viewer on the edge of the seat, or in my case I was gripping the seat, as this would have blown we out of the seat!

Now I usually take caution with the dbA weighting and this one had peaks at the sweet spot, with 90dbA just +5db more than I would normally allow, now if I where to run this for a second viewing I would take it down by -5db from 0db THX reference level, the low end had ample to spare and will not diminish the films impact, not with the JBL control 5’s three-screen where localization was constantly moving and keeping the film highly active.

Split-surrounds are made up by a huge array of JBL control 1’s down the sidewalls and on the back walls, had clear sounds placed in discrete parts of the left and right sides, while centre back surround had me looking solidly to the back while keep one eye still focused to the screen this was very apparent at the opening of the film, and throughout as well.

Sub bass extension and LFE.1 was via the JBL 4645 modifred, the lows in this film where reaching down to 25Hz with peaks in excess of 115dbc weighting, track sounds helicopters and explosions, not to mention the storm of Foley effects that where forceful and hard hitting, with slam kick depth and crunch!

So there must be small cult following of fans hare on this site that enjoyed this film, and its predecessor, but for me it was just that, a film with bite for every single frame, an indispensable sequel!

Picture 9/10

Sound 10/10

Overall 10/10

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks