What's new

Under $200 Bookshelfs: HTD Level Two Mains vs DAYTON SHIELDED BR-1 Kit (1 Viewer)

PaulW

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking at both of these book shelf speakers, which do you think are better? Are there any others at the ~$150 price point I should really be considering?

I'm not a speaker builder but it would be fun to get into it with a starter kit like this. How is the quality components in the Dayton compared to other speakers in the price range? Would I really be getting a good deal?

Thanks for the feedback.

PaulW

Nhan_H

Second Unit
I haven't any experience with the Daytons, so I can't help you there :frowning:

The HTD level IIs are really nice, especially for that price range. I wouldn't expect a ton of bass or midrange, but they do a very competent job for such small speakers.

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
The HTD's are a more efficient speaker. Choice of amp would be a bit more critical with the Dayton's.

David

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Having heard neither, I'd be inclined to go with the BR-1's. I've built quite a few subs using Dayton subwoofer drivers and have used several of their other drivers in a few speakers. You get great quality for the money, IMHO.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I haven't heard the BR-1 either, but I have bought a lot of stuff from PE also, and I have yet to be disappointed. I have been considering building a pair of BR-1s just to see if they sound decent, because it's a good price and I know plenty of people looking for decent budget speakers.

There was one review of them here some time ago, saying they were pretty good.

Max F

Second Unit
I thought about building them (BR-1s) as surrounds but the efficiency was way off compared to my mains. Just keep that in mind. They need good power.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

???

Efficiency can more or less be compensated for via your receiver's speaker level adjustments and an SPL meter. You can notch down the mains a dB or so and raise the rears as needed. This should not be a deciding factor in speaker purchase, unless you have something like 95dB efficient Klipsch up front. Depending on your room, the lower efficiency may even be a benefit.

Max F

Second Unit
Sorry i thought that efficiency was non-linear. If i turn up the volume the mains would get louder faster than the surrounds. If you play things at the same volume all the time then setting the speaker level adjustments would work fine. However, i don't listen to the same volume all the time. Thats my understanding of it.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I would also consider the Adire Kit51 which is being sold for $150 a pair (it probably has better midrange and less bass than the others.)

PaulW

Stunt Coordinator
The Kit51 looks interesting, only problem is it doesn't include the enclosure. The cross-over design looks interesting too thou.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks