What's new

Ultimate AV Mag report on Blu-ray demo - lots of information (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Paul,

you can also get hi-res from BD/HD DVD in LPCM form.

sony actually plans to encoded their hi-res audio as LPCM on early titles since players won't have HDMI 3.1 yet. And players can always decode the DD/DTS lossless and output via LPCM via HDMI 1.1 as well as "native" LPCM.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx, David. Do we/you have any indication that Sony will then change their BD authoring after HDMI v1.3 is available?

Re "And players can always decode the DD/DTS lossless and output via LPCM via HDMI 1.1 as well as "native" LPCM."
I just want to make sure I understand what you're saying: your understanding is that (all?) players can take (lossless compressed) Dolby Digital Plus and (lossless uncompressed) DTS HD and output it as LPCM?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
so the biggest question of them all is: WHEN WILL HD-audio a/v receiver be available?

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
6 Channel Analog :)

It may sound arcane but if you've never heard it, don't knock it.

Sony will NEVER EVER give this up until a digital equivelent comes out that supports copyright protection.

Yes its a cabling nightmare, $148 I paid for 2 sets of cables for my DVD-A/SACD setup but it is worth it and I've been very happy with it.

Of course that means alot of people might need new recievers to support 6/8 channel analog.

We usually watch our movies over 6 channel. My bass manager does a better job in analog than the reciever does in digital. Also my DVD player seems to do a better job than the reciever in decoding.

Yifeng,

There are plenty of recievers out there that accept 6 channel analog. You don't need a "HiDef" reciever since all it is doing is passing along the signal, the DVD player does the decoding and output work. I have a Yamaha RX-V2600 with 6 channel inputs.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

Weeeelllll this is where it's still not clear as far as I know. Per my post #20 above--and setting aside the 'interim' LPCM solution David mentions--what you're saying here is not feasible if the highest resolution audio signals are only going to be passed via HDCP-compliant HDMI. It's my understanding that that is an encrypted signal that must be decoded by a some kind of outboard processor. It is not done by the player. That's part of the whole point of the encryption--the HD video signal, for instance, remains encrypted until it makes the HDCP handshake inside the display device.

Similarly with audio: you'll get higher rez via either DD Plus or the LPCM versions of Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD that David mentions. But the true high rez aud will require an HDCP/HDMI v1.3-enabled receiver. It's not my understanding that the 'good stuff' will pass through "the analog hole." It's the exact opposite of the high rez audio formats (DVD-A and SACD).

Roger Dressler

Stunt Coordinator
Dan Hitchman wrote:

>>Do we know for certain that the 5.1 PCM file will be high resolution (i.e. 24 bit with high sampling rates) from the master digital soundtracks? Or will these be losslessly compressed PCM files using DTS-HD in its lossless encoding mode (Dolby TrueHD player specs. are not yet completed, so I'm assuming DTS-HD since it's ready to roll)? A high resolution uncompressed 6 channel LPCM track would take up a lot of space, especially with MPEG-2 video on a single layered disc.>I would not consider a 16 or 20 bit resolution surround track to be high resolution even if it was fully uncompressed.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Hi Roger,
Is that statment only true for digital audio?
Is audio differant from video?
In other words, why do we have 9, 10, 12, & 14 bit video DAC's?
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks