What's new

U2 the Joshua Tree and MFSL (1 Viewer)

greg_t

Screenwriter
Hello all, I have a question regarding U2's the Joshua Tree. I have this album on CD, and while I love the album, the CD quality is not that great. Does anyone have the MSFL version of the joshua tree? If so, what are your opinions of it? Is it worth the money? I just won a MFSL copy of "War" off ebay but haven't got it yet. It will be my first MFSL. Any opinions are appreciated.

Greg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Greg, I have the MFSL and regular versions of The Joshua Tree and greatly prefer the MFSL version. So, I feel the MFSL disc is worth having, though it depends on the price. Sealed copies of most MFSL titles are quite pricey these days. It would be nice if the U2 catalog would be remastered. That might give us a version of The Joshua Tree equal to or better than the MFSL disc for a lot less coin. For now, though, the MFSL version is the one to have.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Thanks for the reply Keith. In my car I have a Monsoon system, and just picked up a Pioneer Elite CD changer for the home, and the regular Joshua Tree CD just doesn't do the album justice. My vinyl sounds much better. However, I just saw a used one on ebay with 6 days left and it is already at $61. Not sure if I want to spend that much yet or not.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Greg, wow, $61 for a used copy! I bought a sealed copy at a store for $25 before the MFSL discs disappeared a couple of years ago. I wouldn't pay $61+ for a used copy, especially since you have the LP. That's just me. Do you have a CD recorder? Perhaps you should dub the LP to a CD-R. Again, I am hoping that the U2 catalog will be remastered soon.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The only hope for bettering your LP might be an SACD, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
"Running to Stand Still" is my favorite cut on that one.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Lee, thanks for the link. I checked there and there are some good discussions and U2 and audiophile CD's in general.

Keith, it makes me ill that these CD's were so cheap a few years back, and now look at the prices they are getting. A used Joshua Tree mfsl sold on ebay a few days ago for just over $100. Thanks to all for the responses.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Greg, the prices for some MFSL CDs are ridiculous. Last week, I came across an auction on eBay for four sealed MFSL jazz CDs. One of the four was John Coltrane Blue Train. The seller started the bidding at $100 with a "Buy it Now" option set at $130. I was only interested in the Coltrane disc, so I didn't place a bid. Neither did anyone else. Once the auction had ended with no bids, I sent the seller an e-mail message asking if he would sell the Coltrane disc for $35, which is a bit over one-fourth his $130 Buy-it-Now price. He told me that his price for the Coltrane disc was $60, which he said was a fair price for a sealed copy. I explained to him why I offered $35 (again, based on his Buy-it-Now price for the package), and he wrote back saying that he couldn't sell it for $35. He said he would relist the auction and wait for his price. $60 is ridiculous for the Coltrane disc when you consider that the 24/96 DAD of Blue Train, which will beat any version on CD, sells for $25. Also, I wonder how the $15 Enhanced CD of Blue Train (aka The Ultimate Blue Train) compares to the MFSL CD.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, absolutely. I was not aware of Blue Train coming to SACD when I posted last night. I only learned of that this morning with my reading of the new 09.02 SACD catalog.

Greg Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Peter,
Wouldn't it be great if they would remaster all of U2's recordings to Hybrid SACD's like they just did the Rolling Stones. Imagine all the money to be made.
Sadly though, I have never heard any mention of U2 coming to either SACD or DVD-Audio.:frowning:
Greg Johnson

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
They don't have to remaster all of U2's...I'd be happy with Joshua Tree and Rattle & Hum I don't care as much about the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.