What's new

U2 innocence and experience tour (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've been listening to their new Songs of Experience (Deluxe Edition) release - it is SUPERB! Anyone else been spinning this?

Waiting to get home from work to check it out.

I'm of course seeing them on tour next year, but I am extremely unhappy with how they've treated their long-time fanclub members, and their fans in general. The prices have skyrocketed on this tour, and they were already outrageous on the previous tour. As you might know, they're playing with the same stage setup that they used in the 2015 "Innocence And Experience" tour, and it's outrageous how much more expensive it's gotten. As an example, seats that I had one night during the I&E tour were $80. On this tour, the exact same seat is now $175. On a different night, I had $100 seats in a high row in the upper levels. Those seats have been reclassified as $330 tickets for this tour. And, to add insult to injury, a large percentage (we're not sure exactly how large) of long time members of their fan club, of which membership costs $50 a year, were designated as "scalpers" by Ticketmaster due to a computer error and were denied the opportunity to even attempt to purchase tickets through the fan club. U2 has also given Citibank credit card holders access to a larger quantity and quality of tickets than paid fanclub members got to pick from.

I think these problems began when U2 sold their touring business to Live Nation before their 360 tour (which ran from 2009-2011). I think the problems were further compounded when their long time manager Paul McGuinness retired (some reports say he was forced out) and they instead hired Madonna's manager Guy Oseary to handle their affairs. In recent years, the band has seemed disconnected from their fan base as well as seeming a little tone deaf on pop culture and the music industry - which are stunning developments for a band who has always prided themselves on being at the cutting edge of both music and the music business.

I worry about the soul of this band. It doesn't feel the same as it once did. I think the band also made some terribly misleading claims before putting their 2015 tickets on sale, and a lot of people had issues with how they handled ticketing in 2017, so if you put those things together and then add the disaster of how this tour has been handled, and it really seems that they're just going after the money and they don't care anymore - it's no longer an isolated incident. I don't want to believe that, but I'm really, really upset with how fans have been treated. I want to believe that they're just asleep at the wheel and haven't noticed these things, though I'm not sure that's a lot better either.

On the other hand, it is encouraging that the album seems to be well-received and I'm glad that you like it. I hope to have the same reaction when I hear it. I saw them perform "The Little Things That Give You Away" during the Joshua Tree tour this summer and I thought it was phenomenal, just beautiful. On the other hand, I thought "You're The Best Thing About Me" was completely disposable (though I thought the sentiment of the title was sweet). So hopefully the album is more "Little Things" than "Best Thing".

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
U2 is a top 5 fave band of mine.

I heard I Will Follow and was hooked immediately.

Unfortunately I never saw them live when I was younger and it looks like at this point I never will.

I’ve been to one big concert the last 15 years and it was AC/DC last year and those tix were nearly $150 for lower level seats.

I’m not in U2’s paid fan club.

I guess all I’ll be doing is hearing their music on the radio and their from the cds.
Looks like the new one is on Amazon prime unlimited so at least I have that.

I just wish I saw them when they played regular arenas and it didn’t cost so much.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think they've finally overpriced themselves beyond what the market will bear, and I hope that they'll remember that for next time.

The demand just isn't there at these prices - the tour was booked in such a way that almost every city was anticipated to get a second date, with some cities having potential third and/or fourth dates on hold - and in most cases, the first show hasn't sold out. All of the under $100 tickets are gone, but the $175 and $330 upper level tickets aren't selling.

Take Atlanta, for example - they missed that city in 2015 and had up to four potential shows planned for the city. The first show hasn't sold out. Or New York - they played 8 shows in NYC in 2015 and all of them sold out almost instantly. This time, they had three shows scheduled in the area at three different venues with the possibility of adding at least one more show at each venue - and they only sold out one of those three. I don't think the region suddenly lost a majority of its U2 fans. I think people looked at the prices and said, "I can't justify spending $330 plus $50 in Ticketmaster fees for a seat far away from the stage in row 12 of the upper deck."

And I can't blame those folks. That's an obscene amount of money to ask for nosebleed seats. (It's probably an obscene amount of money for good seats.) I can understand, even if I don't agree, with charging $330 for the best 5% of the tickets or even the best 10%. But over 50% of the tickets are at the $330 level!

Yes, there are about 2000 standing room floor tickets priced at $80. But where does that leave everyone else who doesn't get one of those?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Money gripes aside...

I'm really enjoying the album on first listen. It's still a little overproduced but not to the extent of Songs Of Innocence.

Though...as minor quibbles go...I'm disappointed to learn that I was wrong about one of the lyrics in Little Things that I guess I misheard at the live show. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Neil, Tony...what are your favorite U2 albums? (I have a hard time picking just one so I try not to ask others to try!)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I finished the album proper...

I think the first half is good and has moments of greatness but is a little uneven and overproduced. But the second half...wow. There are moments of astonishing beauty there. Bono's lyrics are his most open and vulnerable in who knows how long, and there's enormous power in the fragility of these songs. From The Little Things That Give You Away onwards, it's as good as anything they've ever done. Landlady was wonderful. The Blackout kicked ass (and for some reason I want to see it used as a soundtrack to an Avengers trailer). Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way just knocked me out. And I loved how 13 (There Is A Light) called back to Song For Someone and completed it; that was probably my favorite song from Songs Of Innocence and I love how Bono turned it inward.

I can't wait to see how this material translates to the stage. I know it won't happen this way, but I'd love to see a show that kept the first act of the 2015 set and then used this new album for the second act instead of the greatest hits set. I think that would be a really powerful show.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
I've been listening to their new Songs of Experience (Deluxe Edition) release - it is SUPERB! Anyone else been spinning this?
I'va had this on preorder and got my shipping notification Friday. I had hoped to actually have the album on release day, but I'll have to settle for Spotify until Monday.
Neil, Tony...what are your favorite U2 albums? (I have a hard time picking just one so I try not to ask others to try!)
Achtung Baby, no doubt. Nothing comes even close, although I also like Zooropa, Pop, No Line on the Horizon and Songs of Innocense.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

Achtung, Baby. I recognize that Joshua Tree and Boy are more revelatory and establishing of their greatness, but Achtung hit right when I was in college so was entirely more influential on me.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I'va had this on preorder and got my shipping notification Friday. I had hoped to actually have the album on release day, but I'll have to settle for Spotify until Monday.

Achtung Baby, no doubt. Nothing comes even close, although I also like Zooropa, Pop, No Line on the Horizon and Songs of Innocense.

Seems like you, like me, gravitate to their more experimental ways. The albums of theirs that resonate least with me are their safer ones, like Vertigo and How to Dismantle and Atomic Bomb - I like both, but there was not enough risk taking.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I like the early albums and pop is a favorite too.

I listened to the Amazon experience preview a bit and it was good.

As far as the new album I will probably pass on it. I heard the singles.

The last U2 album I bought was atomic bomb.

I'm glad U2 is playing atlanta this time. I haven't looked at tickets though.
It's too bad the pricing has gone up so much. I doubt I will buy tickets for the tour.

I loved the 360 tour. I saw them on the first leg in Chicago and the last leg in Minneapolis. The Minneapolis show featured more of achtung and zooropa which was good. It rained too and just added to it being a great concert.

It's seems all entertainment has really increased in cost.

I noticed the U2 album is $15 on cd.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Just finished first listen (on Spotify). Verdict: all over the place, some great things, some meh, sounds more like a demo than a finished record, but maybe that'll change with repeated listenings.
But Bono's voice sounds really good, looking forward to more listening. Preliminary opinion is interesting, rather than good, but it has potential.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Quick note: the target version of the album has some addition alternate versions of some of the album tracks.

I don't recall seeing this reported or in the press release.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Just finished first listen (on Spotify). Verdict: all over the place, some great things, some meh, sounds more like a demo than a finished record, but maybe that'll change with repeated listenings.
But Bono's voice sounds really good, looking forward to more listening. Preliminary opinion is interesting, rather than good, but it has potential.

I have heard two tracks:
Blackout
You're the best thing about me

Neither did much for me.

Where is the deluxe version of Pop?
Did they stop doing reissues of the albums??

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
I have heard two tracks:
Blackout
You're the best thing about me

Neither did much for me.

Where is the deluxe version of Pop?
Did they stop doing reissues of the albums??
Second listen now, still Spotify (will have my disc in the mail tomorrow). Sounds a bit like Pop, which was like a comedown from the high of Achtung and Zoo, like they were trying, but had run out. It's not bad, it's just not as passionate, and it sounds like they're trying, which they don't when they're at their best, then it just comes naturally.
But I must say Bono's voice is better than ever.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Second listen now, still Spotify (will have my disc in the mail tomorrow). Sounds a bit like Pop, which was like a comedown from the high of Achtung and Zoo, like they were trying, but had run out. It's not bad, it's just not as passionate, and it sounds like they're trying, which they don't when they're at their best, then it just comes naturally.
But I must say Bono's voice is better than ever.

Got it.

I liked the last album but these days I only listen to the first few albums.

I have the last 2 and I never listen to them.

Going to pass on this one.

Looking forward to the last Jedi soundtrack as my next music purchase.
I just picked up la la lands Die Another Day reissue too.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I looked at tickets for the Atlanta show for a few minutes.
Ouch. Prices are outrageous!!

Maybe I'll see one on you tube.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Quick note: the target version of the album has some addition alternate versions of some of the album tracks.

I don't recall seeing this reported or in the press release.

That's not a Target exclusive - that's just the "deluxe" version which all retailers can carry if they want. I got mine from Amazon.

I looked at tickets for the Atlanta show for a few minutes.
Ouch. Prices are outrageous!!

Maybe I'll see one on you tube.

Yeah, it's insane - upper level tickets priced at $330 and $175!!! For Atlanta, they apparently had holds on the venue to reserve it for up to four shows - but the first one didn't even sell out at those prices which means they might not be able to add a second show, much less a third or fourth.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Bono and The Edge were on Howard Stern this morning and it was the usual high quality Stern celebrity interview. Not just the usual boring talk show interview but an in-depth interview (though probably nothing new to big fans) and they played some songs.

EDIT: Recap of some of the questions and some audio clips at the Stern show site: https://www.howardstern.com/show/20...and-mccartney-and-only-fight-theyve-ever-had/

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
That's not a Target exclusive - that's just the "deluxe" version which all retailers can carry if they want. I got mine from Amazon.

Yeah, it's insane - upper level tickets priced at $330 and $175!!! For Atlanta, they apparently had holds on the venue to reserve it for up to four shows - but the first one didn't even sell out at those prices which means they might not be able to add a second show, much less a third or fourth.

GReedy ticket prices.

Good to know on the deluxe version too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks