What's new

Tyrone Power Collection Vol. 2 in July (1 Viewer)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Since it has been announced that Fox uptaded its classic web page, we know ths collection was coming.
But now it is been available for pre order on dvd empire for a July 29th release.
And if their info is accurate, this release is huge!!!!
Yes, because, for a U$ 49,98 list price we will get 10, yes 10 movies in the box set.

Here is the list:
Girls Dormitory
Love is News
Second Honeymoon
Cafe Metropole
Daytime Wife
Johnny Apolo
This Above All
The Luck of the Irish
That Wonderful Urge
I'll never forget you

Ok, I was expecting Suez to make the list, but with this incredible selection (a lot of titles I would never think would EVER be released on dvd and, most of all, 3 pairings with the incredible Loretta Young) I can not complain about anything. And for that price..come on, Fox deserves all the kudos we can give them!

First the Carmen Miranda Collection and now this, Fox is really full of surprises!!

This news just made my whole week!

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
That's tremendous Rafael!!!! :)

I have seen all these films and I especially love Girls Dormitory, Second Honeymoon, This Above All and I'll Never Forget You. All of the included titles are really memorable with star galore. I have never actually been a Power fan, but he sure appeared in a lot of really good movies!!! I am buying this without a second thought!

I am really impressed with Fox :)

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Absolutely speechless!!!!

Thank you sooooo much Fox! I was desperately wishing for Daytime Wife - but ten Tyrone Power films - crikey!

Just brilliant
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Charles H

Screenwriter
Wow! I was just about to make up a list of what I thought would comprise the "Matinee Idol" Collection, and God Bless TCF: They've exceeded my expectations. For what it's worth, I assumed the third volume would be Power's post WWII collection, and I would have included in that AMERICAN GUERILLA IN THE PHILLIPINES, PONY SOLDIER, UNTAMED, KING OF THE KHYBER RIFLES, DIPLOMATIC COURIER, and LUCK OF THE IRISH and THAT WONDERFUL URGE, which are on the list. I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU is beyond my wildest dreams. Please dear Fox, if you can clear the rights of that, can you work your magic on THE MUDLARK, WINGED VICTORY, and THE WAYWARD BUS? I hope that LOVE IS NEWS comes out on the same disc as THAT WONDERFUL URGE since the latter is a remake of the former (Betty Grable's SWEET ROSY O'GRADY is the same source material) and it is to Power what RED DUST/MOGAMBO was to Gable. I anticipated SUEZ and LLOYDS OF LONDON, which was Power's breakthough film and which was originally brought out as a "Studio Classic", to be included, but who would have thunk GIRLS DORMITORY and SECOND HONEYMOON would be included?
Bravo, Fox!

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Woah, that's brilliant value for money. I can't think of a major studio release that was better on a $ per film basis. I guess Film Noir 4 from Warner comes close.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Terrific news though I was hoping against hope that King Of The Khyber Rifles would be among the titles. Ah well, there's alway Tyrone Power - Vol. 3.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
The first boxset must have sold quite well. But just look at some of the leading ladies;

Joan Fontaine
Linda Darnell
Gene Tierney
Lorette Young
Anne Baxter
Ann Blyth
Dorothy Lamour

Fantastic set!

Corey

Screenwriter
Wow this unbelievable. 10 films for $50 that will definitely be cheaper online and all those gorgeous leading ladies. I hope the next Grable set has 10 films.

Chandler75

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcia
Hello, I just returned from being interviewed for that collection, and I was a consultant. I admit I skewed it to the earlier films. I think Fox will bring Suez out separately as well as Lloyds of London; also I assume at some point they will bring out a Sonja Henie collection; and hopefully come out with an adventure set for King of the Khyber Rifles, Untamed and Pony Soldier.

This is an absolutely shocking but welcome move by Fox, and we can assume that the first collection exceeded their wildest expectations, as they are doing so much so soon! It took a lot of encouragement to get them to do the first one, now it seems where Tyrone is concerned, there's no stopping them. I hope this one sells well so we can look forward to more.

Pete York

Supporting Actor
FYI, this is pre-ordering at Classicflix.com for $33.99, but only until March 30th. It's the lowest I could find so far. Here.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

That's great news; I really enjoyed the first set, and this is a 'must buy' as far as I'm concerned. I'm assuming Fox will stick to thinpaks, at least my poor shelves hope so.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
This is indeed a fantastic package. JOHNNY APOLLO is the one I am just the most excited about. It is a terrific movie, and it has a strong performance by Dorothy Lamour that is quite poignant.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Great news!

But I'm with Charles H...I thought Suez and Lloyd's of London were shoe-ins for any subsequent release. Too bad.

Charles H

Screenwriter
JOHNNY APOLLO is the only one of the ten titles that had a previous incarnation on homevideo (VHS). That's the great thing about Fox: How many of these films haven't been seen for years. The rarest is I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU....even on cable tv.

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
Wow what a great surprise. 10 films that is awesome! Fox has stepped up! I see Rose of Washington Square isn't in the set... I hope this means it will be in another future Alice Faye set.

That would be just awesome!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've been very critical of Fox regarding the pricing of their catalog BR releases, but I will give them high marks for the pricing of this boxset and other similar releases. I will definitely be buying this release.

Crawdaddy

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Hmm- if I'll Never Forget You has been cleared for release, does that mean the original Berkeley Square with Leslie Howard will finally see the light of day? Supposedly there's rights issues with that film which have held up any home video release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks