What's new

TX-SR805 question regarding bitstream (1 Viewer)

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
I am going to be getting my first Bluray player this weekend. I have a silver Onkyo TX-SR805 that I purchased from Amazon.com back in December 2007. I am aware that there have been serious issues with bitstreaming DTS-HD MA on some Bluray discs that goes back a year or more. I have tried to muddle through the hundreds of pages on avsforum about the issue, but was wondering if anybody on here owns one, and hasn't had any problems without doing any updates. I am not brave enough to do the firmware update myself, but live in Kansas City, and there is no authorized service center in this city (which is unforgiveable for a metropolitan area the size of KC). Looking online, the nearest Regional Service Center is in Wisconsin for goodness sakes. There are local service centers located in Omaha, NE, and Lincoln, NE, as well as two in the St. Louis, MO area (yet none in KC??). Anyway, was wondering if the local service centers were authorized if I just took them up there, and made arrangements for them to do the updates while I waited that day. If not, how long did it take for any of you to get your A/V receivers back from shipping to Wisconsin, or wherever you had to ship them. Just doesn't seem safe to me to ship something several states away. In addition, was wondering if perhaps it's not necessary because it appears DTS has changed their authoring, and maybe if you don't purchase one of those 10 or 15 discs that had problems, that it won't be a problem. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Just do the DSP update for the issue yourself, it's not as bad/scary as a full main firmware update.

It's just burning an *audio* CD (not data CD), hitting a certain combo of buttons on the receiver, then playing into a specific optical input. The hardest part for me updating a 705 was just finding a working CD player! (my old Sony DVD couldn't read CD-R, and my xbox360 somehow screws with the bitstream (maybe sample rate adjustment?) making it fail; I had to wait until I actually got my HD-DVD player).

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy

I don't think I can. According to what I'm reading on different forums, your loader version has to be 1.01 or higher to do the updates yourself. My loader version is only 1.00, so I don't think I can do it myself. I wonder if it's even a problem, as I dont' intend to own the early authored Blu-ray's on the lists that I've seen. And if it is, I hope to be able to just run it up to Omaha, NE, where there is an authorized service agent and just leave it for the day.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
That loader thing only applies to the main firmware update, not the DSP update.

Seriously, the DSP update IMO is very easy and not at all dangerous. The main firmware update is much more dicey, I can see why you'd avoid it.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
I see.. what about this hardware mod they are talking about. I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to this stuff. .but apparently capacitors have to be removed from some of the receivers. I think mine is one of the early ones that apparently needs that done. What impact does that have?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
The capacitor thing is apparently unrelated, possible noise issue in some circumstances. I wouldn't worry about it if you haven't noticed anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks