1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Two and a half years later--I finally made a Home Theater page

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Judah, Nov 7, 2001.

1. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

We moved into our house several months ago, so I finally got around to making a Home Theater website.
    My rack is very spartan compared to some of you--just the basics, but it gets the job done for a very pleasing movie watching experience.
    http://hometown.aol.com/vergiliusm/hometheater.html
    DJ

2. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

I think I need to look up the definition of spartan, "I don't think it means what you think it means" [​IMG] Then again, you do say "in comparison" [​IMG]
    Very, very nice indeed. Congratulations!
    Seriously, one question. Does that carpet on the floor get the job done -- preventing excessive sound reflections and echoing? Do you have any treatments on the walls (can't tell from the pictures)? From the pictures it look slike your room maybe fairly bright sound-wise.

3. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

nice.
    where did you purchase that audio rack?

4. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

Very nice! You have fine equipment and a very clean looking setup.
    My only suggestion - How about some close up shots of your DIY sub? Pictures of it being built plus a materials list would make a great page to link to your main page.
    ------------------
    "The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
    my home theater
    my DVD collection

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  6. Haywood

Haywood Stunt Coordinator

7. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Nice, clean looking room. I'll take "spartan" over busy any day of the week.
    One thing, though- the contrast on the TV must be set pretty high for those images to appear that bright with the windows open and lights on. Maybe have the ISF guy give you a heads up on where it is (when he comes), vs. where it should be.
    If it's right, then I'm running my Elite too low.
    Todd

8. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Thanks for the kind words, guys.
    Dmitry, I wasn't referring to the equipment as spartan per se, but rather that I only have four components in the rack(I don't count the pioneer cd player because it is only used for background music)and two of them are amplifiers. [​IMG]
    When I first saw the room, I figured it would be a nightmare to tame, especially with the tile, but the 8x10 rug, the big fluffy couches, and a bookshelf on the right wall(not pictured)do a good job. My major complaint is the rear imaging. I don't get a good phantom rear center like I had in my previous room, but compromises are to be expected in pre-built rooms. I will add some treatments when I can see what's going on with an RTA(if I can ever find the time).
    Rob, I got the audio rack at Ultimate Electronics it is a Furniture Works G-100, I think.
    Ron, I did make a sub construction site when I built my Shiva, but I just got lazy with the Tempest. I found myself wanting to get it done, so I could use it. Besides, Patrick Sun has the market cornered on detailing the DIY sub construction process. [​IMG]
    Todd, I calibrated with Avia and the contrast is at about 40%. When I first took the pictures they were pretty dark, so I upped the exposure on the digital camera, and brightened them up a bit with Photosuite.
    DJ
    [Edited last by David Judah on November 07, 2001 at 11:13 AM]

9. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

10. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

You have got a very nice system there.
    The only thing that I could think of to improve it would be a receiver upgrade to something with 6.1. That would take care of your rear imaging problem.
    Well done!
    ------------------
    My Home Theater

11. Tor Arne

Tor Arne Stunt Coordinator

12. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Nice setup, nice webpage.
    Kudos [​IMG]
    Jon

13. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Nice setup as well, Tor--the cabinets on the NT series are beautiful.
    Todd, you were right--good eye. I didn't realize until I sat down to watch a DVD today that all of my stored adjustments on each input had been reset to the factory levels(probably accidentally by my wife)! My white level was cranked to maximum!
    When I was taking the pictures for the website I didn't even notice--I just wanted a picture on the screen.
    Thanks for being observant. [​IMG]
    DJ

14. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Very Nice Page and set-up. Nice pix of the Star Wars Phantom Menance on that big beautiful T.V. There just something about seeing Star Wars on DVD that just get's me.
    ------------------
    ONCE, I CONSIDERED SPARING YOUR RETCHED LITTLE PLANET CYBERTRON, NOW.., YOU SHALL WITNESS IT'S
    DISMEMBERMENT...
    MY HT PIXS

15. Brett Robert

Brett Robert Agent

Ok I saw spartin and thought, "Kirk Douglas in a skirt" [​IMG] "You ever been in a cockpit before Bobbie?
    Do you like Gladiator movies Bobbie?" [​IMG] Sorry I couldn't help myself. Verry nice room, very clean. Nice sub. The cat looks just like mine. I take it that it is declawed. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    ~~~~~~~Brett~~~~~~~~~
    Champagne tastes with a beer budget
    My HT