What's new

Twister - DTS upgrade worthwhile? (1 Viewer)

John GB

Stunt Coordinator
Some DTS tracks just aren't worth upgrading for. 12 Monkeys for example (lose the extras for the same mix). SPR on the other hand, was worth the upgrade to DTS.
Has anybody compared the DTS versus the DD 5.1 versions of Twister?
------------------

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
John,
The upgrade is worth it if you like the movie. By the by, the original Twister is a 1st Gen DVD. It looks and sounds it. The DTS release was made in 2000, and it includes a small collection of extras as well. The DTS is superior to the DD track (according to my untrained ear) and the extras are nice if not brilliant. Again, if you are a fan... upgrade. Hope this helps.
Chuck

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
It's a nice video transfer, so in that respect it's probably worth getting.
The DD and DTS tracks were sourced from the same master (unlike SPR) and differences are often minimal. Both soundtracks are good, but I still preferred the sound of the LD :)
[Edited last by Rob Gillespie on August 17, 2001 at 08:44 AM]

Andy_MT

Second Unit
the video transfer is quite poor. it beats the non-anamorphic incarnation, but still, it's not really the kind of quality we should've got for a special edition. but what am i saying (ravenous, nixon, dusk till dawn, the doors ...)

HenrikTull

Second Unit
the video transfer is quite poor. it beats the non-anamorphic incarnation, but still, it's not really the kind of quality we should've got for a special edition. but what am i saying (ravenous, nixon, dusk till dawn, the doors ...)
I think this was because it was NOT transfered from a HD - transfer, but a D1 composite or something. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
However, I tend to agree. It's not as bad as non-anamorphic transfers, but it's not exceptionally good either.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Err, what Andy?
The first US release was anamorphic, but since it was an early flipper with the pan/scan version on the other side there was plenty of improvement on the DTS version. Frankly I didn't notice much of an improvement from the already very good sound, but the video is a massive improvement. As someone who really liked the film I thought it was well worth it. The commentary is a bit useless though, just to warn you.

John GB

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replys gents. I guess an upgrade can wait until after I upgrade my display to 16X9. Unfortunately right now, I gain nothing from anamorphic transfers.
Here's hoping that lottery ticket is a winner!
biggrin.gif

John
------------------

Andy_MT

Second Unit
actually, i'm sure the first US release was non-anamorphic. that's why i avoided it.
i did say the transfer was an improvement over the first release. perhaps it might seem a signifficant improvement to some, but i was comparing it to films of a similar vintage that look a great deal better than this one.
incidentally, i think the region 4 has the best transfer. Though not reference quality, it's the more technically superior transfer out there.

Kami

Screenwriter
The Dolby and DTS tracks sound absolutely identical to me, but it's a good disc overall and one of my favorite movies.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Andy,
I am sure that the 1st Region 1 DVD was anamorphic. I should know since I owned it.
wink.gif

-Dean-
------------------
Link Removed
"I've seen you and you are not cool."
[Edited last by Dean DeMass on August 17, 2001 at 11:01 AM]

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
actually, i'm sure the first US release was non-anamorphic. that's why i avoided it.
Sorry, Andy, but you're wrong and Dean's right. I kept the original U.S. release until recently, when I gave it to my nephew. It was anamorphic.
M.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
ok, sorry guys. i stand corrected. it must have been the flipper deal that stopped me from buying it. ahh, the good old days. that was my only form of exercise (changing the DVD over half way through film).

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Actually Andy it wasn't a flipper in that way. One side had the widescreen version and the other side had Pan & Scam. I guess if you think about it, if you watched the Pan & Scam side you would have to flip it to see the rest of the film.
laugh.gif

-Dean-
------------------
Link Removed
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

Marc Alexander

Stunt Coordinator
The Audio was remastered. The new version sounds better even if you only have Dolby Digital! No brainer, get the new version.

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
The picture is also much improved. 99.9% of the compression artifacts that were obvious on the original DVD are gone.
I had the LD & didn't waste my money on the DVD until the re-release.
Daniel L

GregK

Screenwriter
I'll second what Marc and Daniel said: The later DTS/DD
version has cleaner sound on both tracks, and the image
is better than the first version. More extras as well.

Roy Van Nostrand

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roy Van Nostrand
Like many other multiple "have to buy discs", I can't always convince myself that the first version of a DVD is inferior in some way to the new one that may now have an improved soundtrack or transfer or more features so as to actually part with a copy. So, I end up keeping them in the collection, at least for future comparison.
I like the video better on the first Twister, but I enjoy the DTS on number two, although it was not an earth-shaking difference to my ears.
Roy Van Nostrand

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Here's a review of the SE that makes comparisons to the original DVD release.
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...twister_se.htm
It seems maybe it was the same video transfer but with improved authoring, compression, etc. ?
Anyway, I still only have the original (it definitely is anamorphic by the way). The SE is on my list of DVDs "to buy someday when a good deal comes along and I don't have anything else to buy." Unfortunately (fortunately?) it's hard to get to that list these days because of all the other great releases coming out.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks