What's new

Twilight Time announces Blu-ray releases March-June 2013 (1 Viewer)

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I hope I'm not getting off topic by continuing to discuss epics from the 50's & 60's that are not necessarily being released by Twilight Time, but I'm always taken by the enthusiasm of Mr. Lachman's posts, and I must confess that my interests as a collector are similar to his. As I'm sure Mr. Lachman would point out, both BARABBAS & SOLOMON AND SHEBA were amazing large format films. Even if both seem somewhat flawed in terms of their narrative structure on DVD, in large format they were utterly stunning, and extremely compelling to watch, both on a visual as well as an aural level. I don't think you can really judge BARABBAS until you've seen the film in 70mm on a large screen. It's spectacular -- the score, the arena and gladiator scenes, Silvana Mangano--just stunning. I read the book before I saw the movie, and was expecting not to like the changes, especially from seeing the trailer, but the awesome visual quality of the film just swept me away. BARABBAS was also directed by Richard Fleischer, who work impresses initially on a visual level, though in films from THE NARROW MARGIN to VIOLENT SATURDAY to THE VIKINGS to MADINGO, those dynamic images bring forth a very consistent theme about individuals caught in a world of escalating violence. It's true that this theme isn't particularly central to Per Lagerkvist's book, but I guess that's the difference between books and movies. Also, we're talking about films that I saw when I was growing up, to the extent that the colors and visual design of these Biblical Epics have taken on the physiognomy of my soul, which I guess renders criticism somewhat irrelevant.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
lark144 said:
I don't think you can really judge BARABBAS until you've seen the film in 70mm on a large screen. It's spectacular -- the score, the arena and gladiator scenes, Silvana Mangano--just stunning. I read the book before I saw the movie, and was expecting not to like the changes, especially from seeing the trailer, but the awesome visual quality of the film just swept me away. Also, we're talking about films that I saw when I was growing up, to the extent that the colors and visual design of these Biblical Epics have taken on the physiognomy of my soul, which I guess renders criticism somewhat irrelevant.
Absloutely agree with you on both those points Mark. Put me down as someone one who is also an enthusiast of BARABBAS. That may well be because it was the very first 70mm roadshow film which I saw and therefore has a special significance. We are all trapped by the memories of films which we grew up with but it’s not only the films, but the particular circumstances in which we saw them and who we saw them with which endears them to us; so the films seen in our younger days have a strong emotional link. Therefore it doesn’t matter how much people criticise films like BARABBAS, LAND OF THE PHARAOHS, HELEN OF TROY, THE PRIDE AND THE PASSION, SODOM AND GOMMORAH, THE EGYPTIAN because to me they will always be great.

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Jon Hertzberg said:
Yeah, that's what I indicated in my post. When I first saw Jay Gregory's post, it almost read to me like Twilight Time had specifically alluded to REMEMBER MY NAME as "coming at some point."
Sorry. Maybe I dreamt it, but I was sure that I had heard that 'Remember My Name' was coming, and I probably assumed that Twilight Time was putting it out for two reasons: they have a deal with Sony and since the movie has that great Alberta Hunter score. But maybe I was thinking of Shout Factory since they also put out 'Trouble in Mind' (a DVD only release, unfortunately)? No one has announced plans to put out 'Remember My Name' recently, preferably with an isolated score?
Jon Hertzberg said:
Have they said anything about REMEMBER MY NAME getting a release? It's never had any home video release due to music rights issues, I believe. Most, if not all, of their Sony releases have been titles that have been previously on DVD. The Fox titles have been DVD and / or home video debuts for the most part.
I guess 'The Fury' (at least) is the exception that proves the former rule, but maybe Twilight Time can make up dropping the ball on 'Remember My Name' by releasing 'HEALTH'? Or put out a BD of 'Songwriter' instead (heh heh heh)? It seems like Warner Archive was finally able to release several movies that were seemingly held up by music clearance issues, and I had always assumed the nature of on-demand marketing somehow allowed them to skirt re-negotiating those rights. Perhaps I had hoped (incorrectly) that the limited nature of the Twilight Time program could be used to free similarly "problematic" titles. But I suppose if rights holders were convinced that a release of one of these titles would be profitable they would have ensured long ago that any music clearance issues were resolved. :(

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Ed Lachmann said:
Tried to buy SAMSON AND DELILAH today (wish it were a BD) at Walmarts all around L.A. Sold out everywhere. Maybe the studios are underestimating the biblical/historical epic fans.
Despite numerous requests a while back in this forum, Paramount has failed to provide a BD of Samson and Delilah. To me, this is the biggest disappointment of the year so far and all the effort that they went to on the film to prepare it for home release is wasted. I'm happy that asset protection has been done, but WE WANT A BLU-RAY OF SAMSON AND DELILAH, PARAMOUNT. I hope one is released soon, even if it means double-dipping for those who have the DVD.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Ed Lachmann said:
Of course, Marcus Vinicius had a similar dilemma in QUO VADIS, and it took him almost as long as Barabbas. I do understand what you're saying. I'm just a bit thin skinned with my beloved epics. I mean, someone wrote recently in a TT discussion article "THE EGYPTIAN, of course, is not a very good film". I really wondered just what this person would consider "a good film". And, as much venom that is pointed to SODOM AND GOMORRAH won't diminish it as a guilty pleasure of mine. I don't care what Paul Newman thought, THE SILVER CHALICE is a hoot, as well! Again, it is really Jack Palance's film and he is outlandishly wonderful in it. That Roman banquet is to die for as are those remarkably bizarre and colorful sets. Another one I'd LOVE a BD of, if Warners will let me.
It'd be awesome to see a BD of The Silver Chalice, and if possible in its original 144-minute cut. The version on the DVD is 130 minutes. The TCM website and the original reviews from 1954 list the film as 144 minutes or "about two hours and twenty minutes", so I'm assuming that cuts were made prior to wide release. But even if we get the short version on BD, I'll be pleased. Warner has been quite slow with releasing their deep catalog classics on BD, so I wouldn't expect TSC for a while. It didn't even make it to DVD until 2009.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Douglas R said:
Absloutely agree with you on both those points Mark. Put me down as someone one who is also an enthusiast of BARABBAS. That may well be because it was the very first 70mm roadshow film which I saw and therefore has a special significance. We are all trapped by the memories of films which we grew up with but it’s not only the films, but the particular circumstances in which we saw them and who we saw them with which endears them to us; so the films seen in our younger days have a strong emotional link. Therefore it doesn’t matter how much people criticise films like BARABBAS, LAND OF THE PHARAOHS, HELEN OF TROY, THE PRIDE AND THE PASSION, SODOM AND GOMMORAH, THE EGYPTIAN because to me they will always be great.
Douglas, thanks so much for your response. I would love to have a BD of SODOM AND GOMMORAH! When I was in my early teens, the entire downtown of the city I grew up in (Syracuse, NY) was plastered with posters for Aldrich's film, promising something somewhat naughty as well as visually stimulating, so naturally I went. These days SODOM AND GOMMORAH generates interest chiefly because Sergio Leone was credited with second unit direction. As far as LAND OF THE PHARAOHS is concerned, I've long considered Hawks' film the best American epic of the 1950's. In fact, I wrote an appreciation of LAND OF THE PHARAOHS for Films In Review. I'm pasting a link below. http://www.filmsinreview.com/2007/06/29/land-of-the-pharaohs/

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
lark144 said:
Douglas, thanks so much for your response. I would love to have a BD of SODOM AND GOMMORAH! When I was in my early teens, the entire downtown of the city I grew up in (Syracuse, NY) was plastered with posters for Aldrich's film, promising something somewhat naughty as well as visually stimulating, so naturally I went. These days SODOM AND GOMMORAH generates interest chiefly because Sergio Leone was credited with second unit direction. As far as LAND OF THE PHARAOHS is concerned, I've long considered Hawks' film the best American epic of the 1950's. In fact, I wrote an appreciation of LAND OF THE PHARAOHS for Films In Review. I'm pasting a link below. http://www.filmsinreview.com/2007/06/29/land-of-the-pharaohs/
Thanks Mark. Great article!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Douglas R said:
Thanks Mark. Great article!
You're very welcome, Douglas. Glad you liked the piece. The only item I neglected to mention in the review is that the 360 degree pan of the building of the pyramids in LAND OF THE PHARAOHS is obviously influenced, or should I say uses as a precursor (something Hawks does throughout his career) the 360 pan in RED RIVER at the beginning of the cattle drive.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
lark144 said:
As far as LAND OF THE PHARAOHS is concerned, I've long considered Hawks' film the best American epic of the 1950's. In fact, I wrote an appreciation of LAND OF THE PHARAOHS for Films In Review. I'm pasting a link below. http://www.filmsinreview.com/2007/06/29/land-of-the-pharaohs/
I only read bits of it as I have still not dared to watch the rather shoddy effort of a DVD that Warner gave us a few years ago under their "cult camp classics" umbrella. I really hope that they will revisit whatever elements they are holding of LAND OF THE PHARAOHS in order to give us a proper Blu-ray release of this underappreciated American Epic.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Thanks Oliver!. I was very happy with the way the DVD of LAND OF THE PHARAOHS looked. Of course, when the DVD was released, I hadn't bumped up to HD yet. But considering that it was filmed in Warner Color, I thought it looked quite good. The color was much better than a theatrical scope print that I saw in the 1960's. Also, the DVD has Tiomkin's score in stereo, and it sounds great. I would love to see LAND OF THE PHARAOHS on Blu-Ray, but I'm not sure about the state of the elements.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
lark144 said:
Thanks Oliver!. I was very happy with the way the DVD of LAND OF THE PHARAOHS looked. Of course, when the DVD was released, I hadn't bumped up to HD yet. But considering that it was filmed in Warner Color, I thought it looked quite good. The color was much better than a theatrical scope print that I saw in the 1960's. Also, the DVD has Tiomkin's score in stereo, and it sounds great. I would love to see LAND OF THE PHARAOHS on Blu-Ray, but I'm not sure about the state of the elements.
Since the 90ies I have only watched movies projected and sadly Land of the Pharaohs looks really bad when watched that way, even more so than other DVDs of Cinemascope movies. So for me I cannot really enjoy it on the visual level at all which is why I still hope to be able to one day see it in HD or as a 35mm print. It need not look like The Robe in HD, but I would like for it to look at least as good as let's say Demetrius and the Gladiators, that should be possible. If you onyl have DVD and possibly a more moderate sized picture I can imagine that you would enjoy the DVD much more but for me it is also about recreating the visual impact of a theatrical presentation and I fell that for the most part this cannot be accomplished by watching movies on a TV.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
OliverK said:
Since the 90ies I have only watched movies projected and sadly Land of the Pharaohs looks really bad when watched that way, even more so than other DVDs of Cinemascope movies. So for me I cannot really enjoy it on the visual level at all which is why I still hope to be able to one day see it in HD or as a 35mm print. It need not look like The Robe in HD, but I would like for it to look at least as good as let's say Demetrius and the Gladiators, that should be possible. If you onyl have DVD and possibly a more moderate sized picture I can imagine that you would enjoy the DVD much more but for me it is also about recreating the visual impact of a theatrical presentation and I fell that for the most part this cannot be accomplished by watching movies on a TV.
Thanks, Oliver, for your response! I am saddened to hear that LAND OF THE PHARAOHS projects so poorly. It's certainly true that every time I purchase a larger monitor, discs which previously looked marvelous suddenly become unwatchable. Then again, there are other discs that suddenly look much better than before. I hope WB releases a DB of Howard Hawks' wonderful epic very soon!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Andrew thanks for the tip on Salome!! I just would like TT to do it. I wish they Sony had released just a dvd for the USA instead of just the UK. I own or have copies of all of the titles mentioned. TCM did aired Salome and last year I invested in the Prodigal Lana Turners. Jesus Christ Super Star is coming in HD in May and I have my order in for that. I have recorded copy of Godspell but I am going to pass. Fox aired a Johnny Cash Easter or something but I am not into Country and recorded it for a friend. Have Land of the Pharaohs in VHS. I would love to buy it in HD>

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hi Andrew, I decided to order the Rita Hayworth collection used for 25.00 bucks from Market Place. I felt that way if TT does do the movie in blu-ray i did not pay 40 and was able to enjoy it. I love Gilda and always wanted it in my collection. George Macready from Peyton Place Martin Peyton is one of my favorite actors. The cast in Salome has some of the best actors in film and hope it gets here before Easter. Thanks again!!! Mark

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
lark144 said:
Thanks, Oliver, for your response! I am saddened to hear that LAND OF THE PHARAOHS projects so poorly.
Epic movies with lots of extras and wide vistas have a hard time with the meager 720 x 480 or 720 x 576 pixels of the SD formats, one of the best titles in that regard was King of Kings from Warner which by the way also got a very nice Blu-Ray last year.
lark144 said:
Then again, there are other discs that suddenly look much better than before. I hope WB releases a DB of Howard Hawks' wonderful epic very soon!
The ones that look much better are the keepers :) I would certainly appreciate a reappraisal of Land of the Pharaohs and its release on Blu-ray as I only have a very slim chance of ever seeing it as a 35mm print.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Mark Collins said:
Hi Andrew, I decided to order the Rita Hayworth collection used for 25.00 bucks from Market Place. I felt that way if TT does do the movie in blu-ray i did not pay 40 and was able to enjoy it. I love Gilda and always wanted it in my collection. George Macready from Peyton Place Martin Peyton is one of my favorite actors. The cast in Salome has some of the best actors in film and hope it gets here before Easter. Thanks again!!! Mark
Glad to hear that you ordered it, Mark! I hope you enjoy it. Gilda's a favourite of mine, too, and I hope we see it on Blu-ray eventually. Andy

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I also decided to spring for Land Of The Pharaohs and give my Prodigal dvd to a friend since it is in the 3 package of films. All have shipped so i should get them before Easter. King of Kings was a good transfer. I know many hate Greatest Story Every Told but I have that too and like the transfer that most hate. Andy you are right Gilda would be great in HD! Hope TT looks at these films. I should think the Fox 50s Library is getting slim now with MOD and their classics collection. Easter 2 weeks from Sunday and I have to get going. I have the Robe Demetrius and Quo Vadis for the weekend and plan to finish Greatest Story this week. I save King of Kings for later along with TTs Bernadette and a review of the Robe on Palm Sunday and Easter and of course Ten Commandments. Ben Hur I have not watched yet this season. Salome will be new this year along with Pharaohs which I have not watched in years. I also have a recorded copy of Sign of the Cross and the Silent film King Of Kings. Hard to get them all in. Next year i may invest in the purchase of the last two mentioned.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Twilight Time needs to address why the specs indicate that you don't have the option to watch the longer cut of the film with the original Amfitheatrof score. I'm not buying it if that option isn't there.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
The original score wasnt written to go with the extended version so how would they put it on there? From everything I've read the original score is a joke and Peckinpah hated it...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks