What's new

Twilight Time announces Blu-ray releases March/April 2013 (1 Viewer)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Brandon, you're right about the restriction. I just meant that in the event of a sudden sellout, you would think that the respective companies would be able to talk about it on Monday and evaluate the situation. The 3000 number was meant to limit the sales over that three year period, not see all the copies go in five hours. That said, they may just say, "So what? The limit is 3000." Christine as a movie has a lot of problems, and I remember them vividly from seeing it in the movie theater. And I remember reading the book and finding it a lot more interesting than the movie. But the movie still has the appeal of seeing that car in motion, as well as for some good supporting performances from Robert Prosky and the others. The movie also has a pretty scary human villain before Christine toasts him. It's typical Carpenter for that time, in that you'd see what looks like a foolproof premise and yet he manages to mess it up before the end. Thankfully, he followed the movie with Starman, which was a much more successful effort. To this day, I still enjoy this movie and the music, even given its many faults. So I'm happy to grab the Blu-ray and I'm happy that they retained the special features, including a nice commentary with Carpenter and Keith Gordon.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Brandon Conway said:
I agree - pre-orders should be limited to 2 copies per customer from the beginning. Once street date hits if they want to ease up on that then fine, but it's really ridiculous to allow eBay scalpers to buy out so much of the first 1500 copies only to see them resell them for $50+.
As a collector of junk like comics, toys & records, scalpers and speculators are the bane of my collecting existence. I could have bought a second copy of Christine and most likely doubled my money in April or May (after the initial onslaught of copies in March) but since I've been on the other end of scalping, I don't want to bone a fellow fan for a few dollars.
And I remember reading the book and finding it a lot more interesting than the movie.
I like the movie quite a bit but I re-read the novel last year and it is much better than the movie. I'm probably the only person who would be interested in it but I wish they'd make Christine into a huge 6 hour mini-series (a la The Stand or The Shining).

kingofthejungle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Heath
I think Christine is selling fast, not because its a particularly great film, but because it appeals to several different groups - you've got the 80's horror movie fans who buy stuff like NOTLD, Stephen King fans who might not be interested in other forgettable genre films, and fans of John Carpenter who are interested in seeing the director's work on Blu-Ray. I for one fall into the 3rd category. I snapped up a copy having never seen the film, but would decline stuff like NOTLD and Enemy Mine if you offered to give it to me.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Just 500 CHRISTINEs left for preorder, Twilight Time reports. (Oops, less than that, according to you guys. I just received notice from TT that they were on sale). Is ENEMY MINE the only genre title that hasn't sold out?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Never mind. Some people say 500, some say three, and it seems to be gone now, which means those who were fueling the panic got their way. I think there were a whole bunch of folks for whom this was a game.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I just got the e-mail announcing the release and that e-mail was flashing 500 left and when I pressed the link it showed no slick only the notice No Longer Available. To date I have bought all the releases from TT in Blu and numerous CDs. I check each day the site each day once or twice hoping to see them listed but had not today(my time) but would have before the night was out. I would not have guessed this would happen so quick. The other controversial recent title I was dragging my feet on that everyone said was gone, I got a copy from them(Night of the..). But then it was still listed so I was OK.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Yeah, this one sold out faster than I expected. I was on the fence on Christine, but the super-fast sales leaning toward imminent OOP status gave me the final push to blind buy the movie (along with The Fury). I figure if I hate it I can resale it for a decent amount.
Russell G said:
This is the first time I've bit on a twilight time release. Being in Canada, they really pound you with the shipping. You have to add $25 or they wont replace any lost orders that don't get to you. I've seen a lot of BS from companies before, but that's a new one. I added in Bye Bye Birdie and The Egyptian to my order of Christine and The Fury to ease the pain of that freight charge and make it a little more worthwhile. 
Heh, and I though $5 was too much. Try ordering from Amazon.com when the listings become available. They'll probably give a better shipping rate to Canada than SAE.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by JoHud
Yeah, this one sold out faster than I expected. I was on the fence on Christine, but the super-fast sales leaning toward imminent OOP status gave me the final push to blind buy the movie (along with The Fury). I figure if I hate it I can resale it for a decent amount.
Heh, and I though $5 was too much. Try ordering from Amazon.com when the listings become available. They'll probably give a better shipping rate to Canada than SAE.
I almost bought it before it sold out, but I couldn't justify the purchase price for me as it's a fine movie, but not one of my favorites so I questioned how often I would view it. I think my monies are better spent on another title that I'm more apt to view more than once. Something tells me this title will be released again on BD at a lower price.
Crawdaddy

larryKR

Stunt Coordinator
Russell G said:
Being in Canada, they really pound you with the shipping. You have to add $25 or they wont replace any lost orders that don't get to you. I've seen a lot of BS from companies before, but that's a new one.
I paid that ridiculous $25. shipping charge to Canada previously, but for the "Experiment in Terror" purchase I went with the $4.60 option, and I received my copy in ten days with no problems.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
As to be expected I have seen one offer for Christine on Ebay. A couple of hours ago there were no bids with a starting price of $50 plus c$8 post and delivery after March 12. Pity TT can't cancel that order and offer to one of their consistent supporters. Last I looked a couple had bid and the price was nearing $70. The Sky's The Limit. The guy uses PayPal to receive money but not using cards so he says. The thing of a release later in another market might produce less features(if there are any) and no unique TT insert notes. I suspect UK would be the first port of call if it happens.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
There used to be a glitch or trick to see how many copies were left. Put 3000 in for total number to buy. After hitting update cart the total price would be divisible by the price of the disc and that would tell you the number of discs left.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Well, this is really a downer. I was looking forward to purchasing Christine, but didn't know it was available for pre-order. Guess those who hesitate are lost. I will not bid on any copies on Ebay by profiteers.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I have no problems with TT's business practices as such, but I think the influx of speculators circling their more popular releases, leading to sell outs in the preorder stage necessitates a rethink on the limits per customer. It should be lowered to 2 per customer right from the start if TT doesn't want to leave a bad taste in the mouths of a lot of people. None of the movies that have sold out are to my taste. But I just had a quick look on eBay for Fright Night for example, and some copies are going for up to $455! That pretty much guarantees an increase in would-be speculators around some TT releases, which in turn deprives some genuine fans of these movies.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Richard V said:
Well, this is really a downer. I was looking forward to purchasing Christine, but didn't know it was available for pre-order. Guess those who hesitate are lost. I will not bid on any copies on Ebay by profiteers.
I don't like the eBay vultures either but I think if you wait a few weeks after the disc arrives, you'll find it at a more sensible price. Right now the collector 'panic' has set in and people will pay anything to get it. That craziness will flair up again once people actually have the item in-hand. Once that dies down, it'll be less expensive. I'm not saying it'll be cheap but if it's currently under $100 (except for a couple of ridiculous Buy It Now auctions), I think you'll be able to get it well under $100 once the price settles down a little.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
One of my favorite horror titles comes to Blu-Ray, and as I feared I was busy yesterday, and completely missed the boat for 'Christine'. I wouldn't mind buying it off E-Bay, but I refuse to support scalpers in any way so I'll skip this title:(

John Weller

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I don't get why they go for so much. I'd rather stick with Fright Night on a 10 bucks DVD then fork $50 + for a blu ray.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
John Weller said:
I don't get why they go for so much. I'd rather stick with Fright Night on a 10 bucks DVD then fork $50 + for a blu ray.
Go for so much where?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks