What's new

TVonDVD Pet Peeves (1 Viewer)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member

In general I agree with you, but keep in mind it costs money, especially when you have to pay the talent to do commentaries or to show outtakes or deleted scenes.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I agree. That's a plenty big "if" to consider, keeping in mind that actors, writers, producers, etc. do eventually pass away, in which case all that can be done is fall back on vintage interview footage shot when they were alive or press on with the surviving cast members.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
The biggest pet peeves for me are watching those damned commercials that these studios keep putting on the DVD's that you can't skip over as well. 3 minutes of commercial advertisements for upcoming DVD's. If I wanted to watch commercials I'd watch it on network television.

By the way, the music changes? Everyone keeps forgetting that these movie studios have to pay royalties to the originating creators of the music for these TV shows for every DVD that they're placed on. Oftentimes, these studios change the music to avoid those royalties because of the fact that the re-liscensing costs are sometimes too high.

When these shows go to DVD, these studios have to re-negotiate for the home video releases on those music tracks because its in a new area of domain or media. When that music is liscensed to a TV series, it's only for broadcast rights. When it goes to home video, they have to re-negotiate for that right to that piece of music.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

What TV release has had unskippable commercials on it? I'm not saying it's never happened, I'm just curious which one since I've never seen it.

And everyone understands why they change music, they just don't like it:)

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
It sometimes depends on what type of player you have. My parents have a Samsung DVD player from 1997-1998, and you can't skip over any commercials on it. I had a cheap Apex, however, that I could skip over anything on.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
as well as every other aspect of the DVD. :emoji_thumbsup:

I guess one of my pet peeves (which isn't a huge one) is 'consistent' packaging. They did this with Cheers. The first season doesn't have "Season 1" on the spine, so when you look at all of the DVD's on your shelf, you see the numbers 2-6, but no 1...as you can see in this example.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
To be fair, though, that's minor in comparison to other series, including Frasier (man, is Frasier getting bigger and bigger on the spines) and the most infamous of all, the Law & Order sets.

Roman-K

Stunt Coordinator
1) Commercial, why would I want to pay for commercials?

2) No chapter stop after opening credits.

3) The simpsons season 6 homer head. It looked neat online, but so cheesy in real life.

4) Paying for the alternate package for the homer head.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
After buying into the seasons. The Show comes out with a Complete box set with extras that the seasons didn't have.

For instance which is nuts. The MASH set and ALIAS

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

The Homicide set is even worse. They had three cross-over episodes with Law & Order. Those three episodes have been included with the big set, but not the original releases. As far as I know, those seasons of Law & Order aren't even available on DVD. So the big set is the only way to get them on DVD. :angry:

Mary_P

Second Unit
I believe that's true. They just announced S5 of L&O, and I think the first L&O/HLOTS crossover happens in L&O's S6. I do wonder what Universal will do when it hits those episodes. All three crossovers have their conclusions in HLOTS episodes; while you can watch the HLOTS eps and pick up what you need to know from the "Previously, on 'Law & Order'..." intros (although I would certainly prefer to have the complete episode), you sure can't have the beginning of the story in the set without including the conclusion.

KatyD

Auditioning
Real Name
Katy Dreier
my pet peeves are :

double sided discs ( no art cover on it, can get scratched easily and hard to find which side is what )

big dvds with long panels and over lapping discs

no booklets explaining the eps if its not on the back of slim cases if thats the case

no special features on dvds that could have potential to have the special features!!!

dvds that are released and not released again after 1st or 2nd season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! esp WHOS THE BOSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

dvds that arent released in season sets!!!

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
MatthewA said:
Well said, Brett.

What I also don't like:

—Colorization (With Bewitched, I had to break down and get it online, because no B&M stores had the black and white version). Do they put out black and white versions of color shows?

Agreed on this point. I'd never had any trouble with this since I ordered my Bewitched sets from Amazon.com and I specifically ordered the B & W versions for seasons 1 and 2.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I'd guess that as part of the cross-licensing deal, they'll be able to put the HLOTS eps in the L&O set as an extra. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. Everyone's happy all around.

If only they were indeed that sensible; we'll see. (FWIW, I ponied up to buy the HLOTS mega set, even though I already owned the indvidual season sets, precisely to get the extra disc. One really expensive early-Christmas present for myself...)

KatyD

Auditioning
Real Name
Katy Dreier
i also dont like when u cant skip chapters... i jus noticed on friends dvds, u cant skip chapters

Katherine_K

Second Unit
I guess I have a number of pet peeves.

1) Over animated menus. Paramount is the worst offender in this regard to me. If I'm going to watch four or five star trek episodes in a row I don't need to be forced through watching the Enterprise or Voyager or a Klingon Bird of pray fly in and be identified. Nor do I need to see a bullet go through a body and than zoom in on it for CSI.

2) Double sided discs. They damage easily and I hate having to figure out which side is which when the light isn't on. Warner abandoned them, Universal seems to as well. We just need Fox now to give them up.

3) Overlapping packages. Slim cases should become a standard now.

4) Too much/too cool/gimmicky packaging. Star Trek, The Simpsons, the original BSG... really anyone who thinks it's a good idea to put the DVDs in a character's HEAD, it's a bad idea.

5) No chapter stop after the opening credits. If I'm watching five episodes of Law & Order I don't need to hear the theme music five times.

6) Universal's loud logo.

Josh LM

Stunt Coordinator

Over animated menus make me mad. I hate it in NYPD Blue. The menu's aren't even really animated that much, but they're horribly slow. I like to be able to speed through menus.

I also hate when there's no chapter stop after the opening credits. Family Guy is the show that first comes to mind. I have to watch that retarded opening that i've seen hundreds of times, or mess around with the "scan" feauture on my remote which inevitably leads to me having to go back, because I've went ahead too far into the episode.

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
I hate hate hate double sided discs. And the latest trend - season set volumes such as the upcoming Untouchables or Spongebob Season 4 volume 1 and 2. They cost more per episode that way. I want to be able to buy the full season of a program. Why not provide the choice?

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Here a Peeve. You buy a DVD. You open the case and try to remove the disk. Usually the disk is "Nested" in the case with some Fingerholes to lift the disk. Sometimes Half of those fingerholes have some kind of Bar across it which makes it difficult to lift the disk. Why? THIS IS HOW SOME DISKS GET DAMAGED! Make ALL the Fingerholes accessable!

Katherine_K

Second Unit

Oh I hate those menus for another reason. I watch them on a computer and i have to use an arrow pad to move it about, unlike EVERY other DVD I own it does not allow mouse commands.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks