What's new

TV Volume versus HT Receiver volume? (1 Viewer)

RobbieP

Agent
What seems to be the concensus regarding regular tv speakers??? usually I end up turning the tv all the way down and turnign the HT audio receiver up when I'm watching somethign with decent sounds...do the tv sounds get in the way of well placed speakers or can they add to them?

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
I don't know if I've ever listened to the TV speakers on the TV I got for Christmas.

If you don't mind always having your receiver on, then TV speakers will be annoying. Think about it. They're only connected through the analog connection, so they play all sounds, including rear sounds. So what would be the point of having discrete rear speakers if you use the TV speakers? Now when I watch normal TV, I usually just have it in stereo mode, so I could use the sets speakers, but I don't. It's just as easy for me to switch it through the receiver.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

You are on the right track. TV speakers will add nothing, unless your HT system speakers are no better than your TV speakers.

And even if you have the world’s greatest TV speakers, a properly set up HT system has all speakers balanced so that the right sound (and right amount of sound) comes from each speaker. Now suppose that your TV is in the exact center of the front speakers, so that the TV speakers are right above (or below) your center channel. If you have your TV speakers ‘on’, then what appears to be your center channel will be too loud. Not only that, but since your TV will have reduced all five channels to the TV, you will now have some of all five channels appearing to come from the center.

And welcome to the forum.

edit--Greg answered the question while I was typing.

RobbieP

Agent
I don't really mind leaving the receiver on...just out of habit I turn the tv all the way down when the receiver comes on and was wonderign if there was any reason not to..compelling though...I see what you mean...the tv sounds are noise compared to the rest...thanx :D

I just wish there was a way to have the tv's volume turn off automatically when the receiver comes on...hehehe...wishful thinking.

Merimac Hamwich

Stunt Coordinator
TV speakers are way inferior to a good HTS setup. Not to mention having TV audio on while the HT is on negatively affects the sound projection of the HT. It just doesn't make sense to have them both on at the same time.

I always mute the TV.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
How is it that you get TV sound with the receiver on anyway? This isn't right - you might want to reconfigure your connections.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.