What's new

TV separate from everything else (1 Viewer)

crimanysakes

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Matzdorff
Not sure this is the right forum, I'll gladly move somewhere else if not...

We have decided at home that we'd like to move all our equipment that runs our "home theater" to someplace out of the way, preferably not even in the same room as the TV (and speakers). In essence, a media closet.

But I have no idea how to go about doing that. Obviously, wires need need to be run and such, but my concern is how do you control everything?

Assuming there is distance, walls, and perhaps even a floor in the way; how does one go about controlling the equipment? I would really prefer not to have to buy new; the idea is to move our existing equipment (having to buy new equipment would seriously eat into the budget, and may make this idea moot).

My equipment list is as follows:

Marantz Reciever SR8000
Tivo R10
DirectTV HDDVR
Toshiba SD3109 DVD
HSU Research Sub Amp (500watts)
Monster Power HTS5000

And I will probably add some type of media center PC at some point (sooner, rather then later).

The Plama TV currently is an LG, but is going to be replaced in the next few months.

I probably should hit up a few installers, but I don't know what kind of questions to ask, what kind of prices to expect... well, really I don't know anything.

So, any advice or help would be mucho appreciated.

---c

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Jim. Welcome to HTF!

You need a good universal remote with a IR extender. You put a small box near your TV and point the remote at the box. A second box is in the media closet. The little box converts the IR commands to RF, sends it to the receiver that converts it back to IR and blasts it at the equipment.

You dont even need a universal remote - just a "IR Blaster" unit.

Do a google search for "IR Extender" or "IR Repeater".

Here is one web page that sells/describes the equipment.

http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/...er-system.html

Dont forget: you will need a phone jack, Cat5 internet connection in your media closet.

Installers: These guys are great - but they only like to work with equipment they sell because they know it's compatible and they know how to program things so a single remote works. I would get them to run the wires if you need them to, but doing a whole system install & programming takes time which means $$$.

Note: I just saw a demo of a Hitchi plasma TV that is wireless. It only uses a power cord. A little box can be 100 ft away and accepts 3 different sources that it then broadcasts to the TV without wires. $1,100 was the suggested price.

Hope this helps.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm doing this right now in my living room. All of the AV equipment except for the TV and the speakers is set up in the theater room. I use a wired IR repeater system from Channel Plus. Parts Express has a few of these systems - link.

Standard wiring is run inside the wall in the theater, to the attic and inside the wall behind the TV in the living room. RG-59 and RG-6 carry composite video, component video and line level audio (to the powered subs). In-wall rated speaker wire connects the receiver to the living room speakers. Luckily, my living room HDTV doesn't use HDMI or it could get expensive. The wiring runs are 45 feet. A 50 ft HDMI cable isn't cheap even when buying it online.

I also use a Harmony 880 remote to control all of my equipment. If you go with a Harmony 890, you won't even need the IR repeater system since the 890 is RF based.

-Robert

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

A lot of people like to connect all their gear directly to the TV, but with a situation like yours that isn’t practical, unless you want a cable bundle the size of your arm running to the TV. Let your receiver do all the switching, and run a single set of video cables to the TV – component, HDMI, or whatever you’re using.

Re the remote, if you find the IR/RF converters don’t work well (didn’t for me), here’s a link to show how to do a hard-wired IR repeater.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Another solution to the IR Repeater is an RF Remote such as the Home Theater Master (made by universal remote). You would eliminate all you current remotes, learn the IR into the new remote. The Remote sends the IR via RF to a base station (MRF-350 also from universal remote).

You still need to get your video lines and Speaker lines from your Equipment to the TV.

Is this a first level Surround room?
if so..
Is the Basement ceiling drywalled or drop-ceiling/unfinished?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks