What's new

turn color setting to 0 before doing grayscale? (1 Viewer)

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
This is a question for the ISF calibration experts out there :)

I've recently revisited the grayscale settings on my tv and I noticed that the Avia vertical ramp grayscale pattern looks different if I have the color setting set to 0 in the user menu instead of the Avia calibrated setting. There is a distinct purplish hue that gets added to the lower end of the scale. I was under the impression that the color decoder should not be affecting the grayscale at all? If it is, should one calibrate the grayscale with the color setting set to minimum in the user menu?

thanks,

--tom

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not an expert, but setting the color control to its minimum does not always eliminate all color, it depends upon the display manufacturer and model. If you are using the component input/output, the best way to eliminate all color information is to disconnect the Pr and Pb cables. This will display the TV's true grayscale.

-Steve

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the response Steve. I had thought of doing that but I'm more interested in knowing if this is some color that is bleeding into the Avia test patterns in the low end of the vertical ramp grayscale pattern. If it's not, then I'm wondering what would cause it? With the user color setting at 0, my slightly tweaked grayscale settings from a few years ago still look neutral to me in the low end. I'm guessing that I obviously did the eyeball calibrations with the color setting at 0 but I've lost the knowledge as to why I did that :)

cheers,

--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks