What's new

Trying to find the right connection setup for my new system... (1 Viewer)

GregY

Stunt Coordinator
I'm trying to figure out how to connect all my components to make it the easiest for me to switch sources (audio/video) yet have the best quality.

Here's my equipement:

1. TV - Sony 36" XBR450
  2. DVD - Sony NS700P
  3. A/V Receiver - Denon 1802
  4. Digital Cable Box - Scientific Atlanta 2100
  5. Front Speakers - PSB Alpha T
  6. Rear Speakers - PSB Alpha B
  7. Center Speaker - PSB Alpha C
  8. Subwoofer - PSB Subsonic 5[/list=1]

Current Connection Setup:

DVD

Video - Component Video Out to TV

Audio - Digital Toslink OUT to Receiver Optical 1 (Assigned to DVD) IN

TV

Audio - Analog RCA OUT to Receiver TV/DBS Analog IN

Cable Box

Video - S-Video OUT to TV Video 3 IN

Audio - Digital COAX out to Receiver COAX (Assigned to TV/DBS) IN

Audio - Analog RCA OUT to TV Audio 3 IN

Now this causes a few problems. When tuning to a digital cable channel the receiver controls the volume, the TV volume control has no effect. When tuning to an Analog cable channel I have control over the volume with the TV.

I think I need to run both the Analog and Digital audio out from the cable box to the receiver. This will cause the receiver to control all the volume from the cable box.

Any suggestions on how I should set it up for ease of use? Should I use the S-Video switching from the receiver for the DVD video and the cable box? Or is the component video out that much better?

Also how would the picture and picture work? Would I get no sound for the other pic and pic? Any recommendations for splitting the cable so I can use the pic and pic would be appreciated.

The more I look at my message I realize that arming someone with just a little information is dangerous!! I need to learn more about this stuff and have a better understanding of what's going on. I don't want to be one of those people that just has it hooked up for them. I want to know what's going on here!

Thanks for your patience with the newbie!! And thanks for this great forum, I'm learning a lot from browsing. Maybe one day I'll be regarded as a audiophile!!

PS - Now I'm using 3 remotes. What would be the best all in one remote for controlling my components?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Greg. Welcome to HTF! :)
That was a nicely detailed description of your connections.
Lets simplify things a bit:
A Remove the analog RCA cables from between the TV and receiver. If you just fire up the TV, use the TV speakers. In theory, you should never do this as you have the nice CATV box and this is how you should do all your watching.
B Run Svideo from the DVD player to the receiver, and then SVideo from the receiver to the TV.
Now the receiver switches audio & video from both sources using SVideo. Makes the operation simple. But leave the Component cables attached. This way you can toggle to the "better" picture if you want.
C Run both analog & digital from the CATV box to the receiver as you suggested. Hopefully, your receiver will auto-switch as you flip between the different stations. Try this and see.
Remote Suggestion:The One For All - Cinema 7 is a great remote for about $25.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Now I'm using 3 remotes. What would be the best all in one remote for controlling my components?
Well the absolute best under $500 is the Phillips Pronto-- it's a fully programmable touchscreen remote-- you can design your own interface, your own buttons, icons- whatever. Some people don't like it because it has few hard buttons- and it also costs $150-$250.

My pronto is the the best investment I've ever made in my HT.

-Vince

GregY

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies!
I'll check out the remotes you both mentioned and try the connection setup you recommend this weekend.
I'll let you know how it goes!
Here's the schematic that I'll try. Will the Y-splitter cause me problems on my analog cable channels?
tvsetup.gif

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Here's the schematic that I'll try. Will the Y-splitter cause me problems on my analog cable channels?
If you mean the splitter that divides the coax cable from the wall- it should be fine. The one you're doing to try to plug in both TV audio and Cable audio into the same input on the receiver will probably cause you problems.

I'm just curious why you're routing cable signal to your TV 3 times?

• You've got Coax coming from the wall into the set, which would let you use the internal TV tuner for analog channels.

• You've got Svideo/Digital/Analog coming off the cable box, to the receiver, to the TV.

• You've got coax routed from the cable box, to the VCR, and then analog audio/composite vid onto the TV (if you were doing this, why not route composite from cable box to the VCR instead of RF coax?)

Why? Only the middle connection is really necessary.

Also, why are your routing audio from the cable box through a splitter to combine it with audio coming off the TV? The audio coming off the TV would be from the cable box, vcr, or DVD- so why not just route each to the receiver- instead of coming off the TV output? Are you that bent on using your TV speakers for some reason?

Also, the VCR audio output doesn't seem to go to the receiver at any point- unless you could going through the TV. That seems silly, why not just route the Cable, VCR, DVD through the receiver and onto the TV for video. USe the receiver as a routing bay, as it was designed to be.

I would route all video and audio through the receiver (except maybe the DVD component out, but I'd also run Svideo through the receiver which could be switched as needed). Cable into box, out to receiver. VCR out to receiver. Receiver VCR sends back to VCR. DVD to Receiver. Monitor output from receiver to TV.

-Vince

GregY

Stunt Coordinator
• You've got coax routed from the cable box, to the VCR, and then analog audio/composite vid onto the TV (if you were doing this, why not route composite from cable box to the VCR instead of RF coax?)
This will allow me to use the VCR to record off the of the cable box. Basically allows me to record shows (Sopranos, Sex in the City) off HBO which is a digital only channel. The VCR has to be hooked up this way in order for me to record and play back the show. And since the VCR doesn't have S-Video I can't use it as a component switching off of the receiver.

=============================

Any suggestions would be appreciated that would simplify the mess that I have in that picture. Basically the Y-splitter of the RCA audio into the TV/DBS switch of the receiver is to allow me to not to have to switch off of the TV/DBS switch on the receiver when using the Twin View feature of the set. Does that make any sense?

I want to use the switching of the receiver and still be able to record my digital cable and playback through the VCR for the few shows that we record.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Here's what I recommend. Click here for the picture.
It will allow you to:
  • Use your Picture and Picture
  • Record off the cable box
  • Play the audio from VHS tapes through your receiver
  • Switch between either S-Video or Component video for you DVD player
  • Record one show while watching another
  • You have the choice of either using your TV speakers or your receiver for listening to TV programming

GregY

Stunt Coordinator
You are the man!!!

That's exactly what I was looking for. I think I like to make things way too complicated.

Good thing I was waiting until Saturday to try all this. I'll give you an update once I've given it a try on Saturday.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Well I just diagrammed what Vince and Bob were saying...so from all three of us...you're welcome! Hope it actually works. ;)

GregY

Stunt Coordinator
I tried the diagram and it works fun, but there is one problem. The HBOs are pixelating and sometimes they freeze. It is only the HBOs that are doing this?

Does the Denon have a problem with the scrambled channels?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Does the Denon have a problem with the scrambled channels?
It can't- all it's getting is raw video- it doesn't know if it was scrambled-- heck for all it knows it's a video game.

It is simply being fed NTSC video from the cable box, which is doing the descrambling. If the signal is locking up- it's the box. Did you check the cable line coming from the VCR from the box- it's doing the same thing I assume.

So again- once it's decoded by the cable box, it simply feeds video signal raw to the receiver. You could bypass the receiver and run the vid/audio cables directly into the TV and you'd find the same result.

One note of suggestion to the old config issue- I would recommend grabbing a SVHS VCR that has Svideo output. They are affordable (I think onecall had one for $135) and provide better video from VHS, better recording quality, and even provide a better tuner (if you ever use it as a tuner).

VHS is a format that benefits greatly from Svideo connection.

-Vince

GregY

Stunt Coordinator
When I send the S-Video from the cable box directly to the TV it works fine for HBO. But when I send it from the cable box to TV/DBS in on the Denon and out through the Monitor out to the TV I get pixalating and the picture sometimes freezes.

Could this be a problem with the switching in the Denon (a defect maybe). I definitely see a difference in picture quality.

Also...

It will allow you to:

Use your Picture and Picture

But without an audio source from the TV I don't get any sound from the Picture and Picture (from the Analog Source).

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
and said:
I wonder if that receiver is capable of converting an S-video signal into a composite signal. If so, make sure your S-video and composite video from your receiver are on separate video inputs on your TV. Or try unplugging the composite input from the receiver and see if it still happens. The composite input is there so you can see what the VCR is playing, not for the cable box.

GregY

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if that receiver is capable of converting an S-video signal into a composite signal. If so, make sure your S-video and composite video from your receiver are on separate video inputs on your TV. Or try unplugging the composite input from the receiver and see if it still happens. The composite input is there so you can see what the VCR is playing, not for the cable box.
I haven't even hooked up the VCR yet.

All I've done is the Cable Box to the Receiver (via S-Video In for the TV/DBS switch on the Receiver) and the Receiver to the TV (Via S-Video Monitor Out on the Receiver. When I do this HBO freezes and pixelates.

When I run the S-Video directly from the Cable box into the TV it doesn't do this.

Does that make sense?

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
All I've done is the Cable Box to the Receiver (via S-Video In for the TV/DBS switch on the Receiver) and the Receiver to the TV (Via S-Video Monitor Out on the Receiver. When I do this HBO freezes and pixelates.
So if the composite video connection from the receiver to the TV isn't even hooked up then I'd say it's a problem with the video switching on your receiver.

Do you have any problems playing your DVDs through the S-video in your receiver? If not, try plugging your cable box into the DVD S-video input on your receiver and see if you still get pixelation. Or try some of the other S-video inputs on your receiver and see if it still happens.

GregY

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Bill,

I thought of that right after I posted my last comment.

When I get home, I'll put the S-Video from the Cable Box to the S-Video in for the DVD. I'll also put the DVD into the S-Video in on the TV/DBS to see if it freezes.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Greg,

You've got me stumped... The denon should not being doing an digital sampling if the material- its switching is just a simple analog passthrough (as far as I know).

I'd like to get a more specific description of the distortion-- as Bill suggested it might just be a switcher problem- but a digital pixelation seems very out of place since the receiver shouldn't be doing any digital manipulation of the material coming in.

-Vince

GregY

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't had time yet to retry the connections. I'll give it a try in the next couple of days and let you know what I find.

Tony Granatelli

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Gang, Although I am new to this forum, I have been reading tons of stereo and Home Theater magazines for the past 5 years. However, it's sort of like auto body work... I found it easy to understand and real tough to put into practice. Here's my connundrum:

I just purchased an Onkyo TX-DS898 AV unit. Heck, it might be easier this way:

1. Onkyo TX DS 898 AV unit (it has a pretty crummy manual)

2. Panasonic A310 DVD player

3. Panasonic SVHS VCR

4. Stereo Cable box

5. Cambridge Soundworks speakers (fronts, center,

surrounds and a sub. Each front speaker consist of 2

separate speakers (Ensemble)

6. Sony 32" TV with RCA and S-Video only, no components

7. A few real nice RCA cables

8. Some really really nice speaker wire

9. A really nice opitcal cable (toslink)

10. One nice S-video cable

Here's my problem. I thought the best picture would result if the DVD player was connected directly to the Sony TV through the S-video. However, I would then have to go to the back of the TV and connect the SVHS during the few times my kids want to watch a tape.

In addition, we have a Playstation 2 and a Nintendo 64. The PS2 has 2 RCA's and an S-video and the N-64 has 3 RCA's.

Do I connect everything to the Onkyo and let it handle all the switching? Lastly, how the heck do you hook up all the speakers. The front speakers are composed of a small speaker and a non-powered 8 inch (sub or is it a mid-woofer?)The Onkyo has a subwoofer out, but it's RCA. I don't have a 30 foot RCA cable, nor do I want to go out and purchase one. HiFI.com said, "use speaker wire to connect the sub". Man, I could really use some help.

By the way, I'm an SAT guru...anyone who can help and has kids from 9th grade to 11th grade, I would be happy to help you!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Tony. Welcome to HTF!
I think I can help you make the system simple & easy to use.
But first you have to tell me about the Onkyo receiver. Does it have SVideo inputs for every source? Please list the sources with SVideo In's and I can try to give you a plug-to-plug description of what to do.
Lets tackle the Subwoofer first.
Your receiver has a subwoofer output, but this assumes you have a self-powered subwoofer. You dont. So ignore it.
You must:
- Run speaker wire from the L/R main posts on the Onkyo to the INPUTS on the sub.
- Run speaker wire from the L/R OUTPUTS of the sub to your L/R speakers.
The subwoofer will strip off the sounds it wants, and pass the rest onto the smaller speakers.
The last step is important:
On the Onkyo you have a 'SETUP' menu where you can tell the receiver if your speakers are LARGE or SMALL. Here is what you do:
- Tell the receiver your L/R speakers are LARGE
- Tell the receiver your center and rear speakers are SMALL
- Tell your receiver you DO NOT have a subwoofer.
Your receiver will now try and pass all the low-frequency sounds intended for all speakers to the L & R speakers. It will ALSO send the ".1" sounds to the L & R speakers.
Is this clear?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks