What's new

Try these Brain Teasers! FuN InSiDe!! (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I stated the question wrong...

How do you plant 5 rows of corn with 5 stalks in each row and only 20 seeds?

Paul Bond

Stunt Coordinator
I am still having trouble with #5.

The question states he lets the ball fall out of his glove. Even if the ball was over the foul line, it would be in play once the fielder touched it.

Paul

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Yet another option then,
For some reason this says "rows" to me more than the pentagon does:

Code:

MikeM

Screenwriter
Paul, the answer to #5 is correct.
A foul ball is a foul ball. If a player makes an attempt to catch a foul ball, and drops it, even if it's intentional, the ball is foul. The only exception to that rule is if the player is straddling the foul line itself. If so, if his body is in fair territory, and the ball is landing foul, if he touches it, then the ball is in play. However, in the #5 example, you'd assume that the ball was 100% foul, and that a player was trying to tag up.

5. It's the ninth inning. The pitcher delivers; the batter hits a deep fly ball. The outfielder starts to catch it - then deliberately lets it fall from his glove. Why?
Here are two more more possible answers I just whipped up for #5: :)
Their team is already up by 15 runs, and the pitcher is going for his 21st strikeout to set the all-time record for 9 innings. The outfielder doesn't care if he lets the batter get on base, because it gives the pitcher an opportunity to strikeout the next batter.

or
The batter is trying to beat Joe Dimagio's all-time record of of 56 game hitting streak, and already has 56 hits, in 56 games. He's currentnly 0-4, and this is his last at bat. Oh yeah, the outfielder is Jeremy Giambi, the batter is Jason Giambi, and the official scorer is Jason's dad, John. :D

Danny R

Supporting Actor
I can't believe nobody stated the obvious to #1.

They were in a Home Theater!

As for #3, I believe the correct answer has to do with the word "celebrate". You can celebrate your birthday anytime you want.

It can't have anything to do with a leap year. Even if one was born on leap day, and the other was not, they would always have their birthdays 1 day apart.

eric holm

Stunt Coordinator
Here's an oldie:

Every morning a man who lives on the 70th floor of a building gets on the elevator on his floor and takes it all the way down to the ground floor and goes to work. After work, he comes comes home and gets on the elevator and goes up. If he is alone, he gets off at the 40th floor and takes the stairs the rest of the way. If there is anyone else in the elevator with him, he takes the elevator all the way to his (the 70th) floor.

Why does this occur?

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
As for #3, I believe the correct answer has to do with the word "celebrate". You can celebrate your birthday anytime you want.

It can't have anything to do with a leap year. Even if one was born on leap day, and the other was not, they would always have their birthdays 1 day apart.
That's not how it works exactly. I believe Francois's answer to this one is correct.

In fact, I think all the questions have been answered correctly (or at least plausibly) already by various people.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
I believe Francois's answer to this one is correct.

Ah, I see now. I misread his answer and thought he said one was born on leap day.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Here's another one, its a variation of the one I posted earlier (read these somewhere as a two part question):

How would you plant 23 seeds of corn such that there are 5 rows, each with an equal amount?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
John Berggren:
Right. There's actually a variation of that puzzle where the variable isn't whether the man is alone in the elevator or not, but whether or not it is raining. :)
On rainy days he carries an umbrella, and this allows him to press the button for the high floor.
Regards,
Joe

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
Corn:
Plant 5 rows with 4 in each row.......only this time you have just 10 seeds that must be used.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks