What's new

Try these Brain Teasers! FuN InSiDe!! (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Hi all. I can't sleep. (I have the house all to myself for the weekend - an event that happens about once every two years - and I'm afraid of burglers.) So I thought I'd share these Brain Teasers with you. They come from a book my sister gave me, but I'm not naming it yet. ;)
1. A married couple goes to a movie. During the film, the husband strangles the wife. No one notices - and he's able to get her body back home without attracting attention. How did he do this?
2. A man goes to a party, drinks some punch, and then leaves early. Everyone else at the party who drinks the punch dies of poison. Why didn't the man die?
3. One day Kerry celebrates her birthday. Two days later, her older twin brother Terry celebrates his birthday. How could this be, when they were born a half-hour apart?
4. How quickly can you find out what is unusual about this paragraph? It looks so ordinary that you would think that nothing is wrong with it at all - and, in fact, nothing is. But it is a bit odd. Why? If you study it and think about it, you may find out, but I am not going to assist you in any way. You must do it without coaching. No doubt, if you work at it for long, it will dawn on you. Who knows?
5. It's the ninth inning. The pitcher delivers; the batter hits a deep fly ball. The outfielder starts to catch it - then deliberately lets it fall from his glove. Why?
6. John's mother has three children. The oldest is a boy named Herbert, who has brown eyes - everyone calls him Herb. Next youngest is a girl named Penelope. Everyone calls her Penny. The youngest child has green eyes and can wiggle his ears. What is his first name?
7. Three men decide to share a hotel room for the night. The desk clerk charges them $30. They each pay $10. After they go to their room, the desk clerk realizes the room is only $25, so he gives a bellhop $5 to take up to the men. On his way up, the bellhop decides to tip himself $2 for his trouble. In the room, he gives each man $1 - which means that each guy actually paid $9 for the room.
So: 3 x $9 = $27; the bellhop kept $2; that adds up to $29. Where did the other dollar go?
8. An hour later, two women check into another room. The room is $30; they each pay $15. Again, the desk clerk realizes the room is only $25, so he gives the bellhop $5 to take up to the women. This time, the bellhop keeps $3 for himself and gives $1 to each of the two women. So each woman actually paid $14 for the room.
So: 2 x $14 = $28; the bellhop kept $3; that adds up to $31. Where did the extra dollar come from?
9. A man lies dead in a room with 53 bicycles in front of him. What happened?
10. Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice all live in the same house. One night, Bob and Carol go to a movie; when they return, Alice is lying dead on the floor in a puddle of water and glass. It's obvious that Ted killed her - but Ted is never arrested or punished. How could this be?
11. A deaf-mute goes into a hardware store. He wants to buy a pencil sharpener, so he walks up to the clerk, sticks a finger in his ear and rotates his other hand around his other ear. The next customer is a blind man. How does he let the clerk know he wants a pair of scissors?
:) Some easy, some not-so-easy. Hope you like 'em!

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
no letter "e" in the paragraph

John!

7&9.
It is just math gone bad

Something to do with playing cards, but I am not sure. Death card or something?

Because Alice is a goldfish

He tells the clerk. After all his is just blind, not mute!

I'm not sure about the others. Good puzzles!

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Is there an error in #3? I can't figure out any possible way how Terry can celebrate a birthday two days (or even a half hour) later than Kerry and still be older. Now if Terry is younger, it's easy.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
the deaths related to some event that occured after he drunk the punch(doesn't say the punch was poisoned)

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
9. The man was cheating at cards, and was killed over it. Normally there are 52 "bicycles" in a deck of cards. The dead man had the extra.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member

During the film, the husband strangles the wife in the movie, duh!

who ever said a birthday had to be celebrated on the exact day someone was born!

9. nathan...that's exactly correct....I was thinking hmm ya, it's gotta be a deck of cards, maybe with a joker
but you nailed it! It's pretty damn funny if when you get it!

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron

A correction to this question since my mother discovered the real answer. They were celebrating their birthdays on a leap year! She was born on February 28 at 11:45 PM, and he was born on March 1st at 12:15 AM!

Jim_F

Screenwriter

My answer assumes that there is a runner on base. It's a foul ball. If there are less than 2 outs the runner can tag up and advance if the outfielder catches it.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
11)He tells him.... "I need a pair of scissors".

2) because he is the poisoner

10) Ted is an electric eel.
6) I dunno......maybe his name is John.
:)

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
The husband and wife went to a drive-in theater.

Three possibilities - 1. The man in question put the poison in the punch 2. The poison is in the ice cubes 3. The poison was added after the man drank some punch

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
You have to subtract, not add! The room is $25, they paid $27 because the bellhop kept $2. So it should have cost them $27 - $2 = $25.

Same logic here! The room is $25, they paid $28 because the bellhop kept $3. So it should have cost them $28 - $3 = $25.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
1. A married couple goes to a movie. During the film, the husband strangles the wife. No one notices - and he's able to get her body back home without attracting attention. How did he do this?
Already answered: Drive-in movie
2. A man goes to a party, drinks some punch, and then leaves early. Everyone else at the party who drinks the punch dies of poison. Why didn't the man die?
He's the poisoner
3. One day Kerry celebrates her birthday. Two days later, her older twin brother Terry celebrates his birthday. How could this be, when they were born a half-hour apart?
Still working on this one. If "older" is a typo, somebody is going to die. :)
4. How quickly can you find out what is unusual about this paragraph? It looks so ordinary that you would think that nothing is wrong with it at all - and, in fact, nothing is. But it is a bit odd. Why? If you study it and think about it, you may find out, but I am not going to assist you in any way. You must do it without coaching. No doubt, if you work at it for long, it will dawn on you. Who knows?
Answered above: The letter "e", the most common vowel in the English language, does not appear
5. It's the ninth inning. The pitcher delivers; the batter hits a deep fly ball. The outfielder starts to catch it - then deliberately lets it fall from his glove. Why?
I think this was answered above, but I don't know the rules of baseball well enough to be sure.
6. John's mother has three children. The oldest is a boy named Herbert, who has brown eyes - everyone calls him Herb. Next youngest is a girl named Penelope. Everyone calls her Penny. The youngest child has green eyes and can wiggle his ears. What is his first name?
John, unless I'm missing something
7. Three men decide to share a hotel room for the night. The desk clerk charges them $30. They each pay $10. After they go to their room, the desk clerk realizes the room is only $25, so he gives a bellhop $5 to take up to the men. On his way up, the bellhop decides to tip himself $2 for his trouble. In the room, he gives each man $1 - which means that each guy actually paid $9 for the room.
So: 3 x $9 = $27; the bellhop kept $2; that adds up to $29. Where did the other dollar go?
8. An hour later, two women check into another room. The room is $30; they each pay $15. Again, the desk clerk realizes the room is only $25, so he gives the bellhop $5 to take up to the women. This time, the bellhop keeps $3 for himself and gives $1 to each of the two women. So each woman actually paid $14 for the room.
So: 2 x $14 = $28; the bellhop kept $3; that adds up to $31. Where did the extra dollar come from?
Both answered above. And it's way too early for math
9. A man lies dead in a room with 53 bicycles in front of him. What happened?
Answered above: Cheated at cards
10. Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice all live in the same house. One night, Bob and Carol go to a movie; when they return, Alice is lying dead on the floor in a puddle of water and glass. It's obvious that Ted killed her - but Ted is never arrested or punished. How could this be?
Partially answered above: Alice is a fish, Ted is a cat.
11. A deaf-mute goes into a hardware store. He wants to buy a pencil sharpener, so he walks up to the clerk, sticks a finger in his ear and rotates his other hand around his other ear. The next customer is a blind man. How does he let the clerk know he wants a pair of scissors?
Answered above: He says, "I'd like a pair of scissors."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks