Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Here’s another April fool’s joke: Don’t worry, this will be real some day. 🤪

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Not until James Cameron is dead, apparently.
James Cameron is going to pass his consciousness over to AI so he will essentially become immortal. Primary directive: never release The Abyss or True Lies ever again.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
At least True Lies is available streaming free. The Abyss keeps being re-cycled on Prime free but it's the fullscreen version. I've sent feedback emails to Amazon suggesting they include a widescreen version (regular or extended) but no luck so far.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
At least True Lies is available streaming free. The Abyss keeps being re-cycled on Prime free but it's the fullscreen version. I've sent feedback emails to Amazon suggesting they include a widescreen version (regular or extended) but no luck so far.
True Lies streams from where?

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy

At least they're not saying "The Abyss" is in HD anymore. That's not saying much; it's still a washed-out mess of a master.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
There is a recent HD master of The Abyss that pops up on various movie channels from time to time.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
The Spanish grey market Blu-ray of True Lies whets my appetite enough until a legit disc is released hopefully sometime this century. Looks pretty good, actually. I've got my eyes peeled for a similar release for The Abyss. Cameron should just approve the release already if only to get people to stop pestering him daily for updates.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
The Spanish grey market Blu-ray of True Lies whets my appetite enough until a legit disc is released hopefully sometime this century. Looks pretty good, actually. I've got my eyes peeled for a similar release for The Abyss. Cameron should just approve the release already if only to get people to stop pestering him daily for updates.
I don’t think the issue lies with Cameron anymore, at least when it comes to The Abyss

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think at this point with The Abyss, my opinion of course, but we have to give Disney the chance to release it at what would be the most reasonable time - which would be as a tie-in to either the theatrical, or more likely, home media release of Avatar 2. Catalog physical media no longer sells in big numbers, but the costs of making, distributing and promoting discs are still there, and the best opportunity for the company to sell it would be when they’re also trying to sell Avatar 2 discs. So if the Avatar 2 disc release comes and goes and there’s still no Abyss, then yeah, I think it’s fair to get upset then, but I think the present moment calls for patience.

Cameron supervised the color timing of the Abyss 4K master last year, after Disney owned Fox. I can’t see any reason for Disney to have greenlit that expenditure if they were simply hell bent on never releasing it. But they also must know that the best chance it has of selling is when they can piggyback it’s marketing onto a similar title they’re already promoting and when Cameron himself is available to promote it, and it seems to me that the Avatar 2 home media release is that opportunity.

Look at what Disney did with the 4K disc of Heat - they put it out right when the Heat 2 sequel novel got published, not at some random time when no one was thinking about Michael Mann.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
If Cameron wanted The Abyss & True Lies to be released they would have been already. Personally, I won't be spending any more money on his projects until TL is released on disc.

Well said.
When I read his comments about having to find the time YEARS ago to sign off on True Lies and The Abyss I thought that it sounded very much as if he could not really be bothered. Since then I cannot be bothered to spend any money on his other movies and this may very well continue until there is a proper disc release of True Lies.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
True Lies in HD is currently available for streaming on Apple TV+. It is only available until May 31, 2023. I scanned through the first 5 minutes or so and it looks pretty good to me.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks